Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker C upgrade from 96ci to 103 or 110?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:56 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another suggestion was to also change the exhaust that I have, it is not a high performance one (I don't know) and suggested to change it for Wegner X-Pipe (see picture), but I don't really like it.

So I really see the upgrade performance, the exhaust that I have right now will not give the full performance, correct?

Attached Thumbnails Rocker C upgrade from 96ci to 103 or 110?-wegner-rocker.jpg  
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFan0611
I really like my motorcycle and intend to keep it for several years. A few friends suggested to trade it and use the money that I'm planning for this upgrade to get something newer...but I really like my Rocker C, plus it is PAID IN FULL
Since you are planning to keep your bike for a long time, it makes more sense to do a single "ouch that really hurt my wallet" upgrade. It may seem like a lot but in reality, you are only paying for parts and labor once. Things add up when you bump it up a few cubic inches at a time because you have out grown your current setup.

If I were you (read: if I had an '07 & up motor instead of an '05) I would just drop a 124" crate motor from S&S Cycle (only company that offers a 1 year warranty on their big inch motors - JIMS and Screamin' Eagle don't).

New 124" & 111" Harley Replacement Engine from S&S

Upgrade the ecm, throttle body assembly, 2 into 1 exhaust and clutch and you are good to go.

I started with an 88" and upgraded to a 95". Wanted more power so went to a 107". Motor was trashed due to parts slapper and currently having a 124" installed now by an authorized S&S Cycle trained mechanic.

As you can see, the small upgrades actually cost more in the long term than if I would have just paid a little more up front.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Another suggestion was to also change the exhaust that I have, it is not a high performance one (I don't know) and suggested to change it for Wegner X-Pipe (see picture), but I don't really like it.

So I really see the upgrade performance, the exhaust that I have right now will not give the full performance, correct?

Your current exhaust is a V&H Big Radius which is a "pure" 2 into 2.
2 into 2 systems have normally a lower performance compared to 2 into 1 exhausts even though I personally prefer the look of 2 into 2.
What you have to consider is the cost effectiveness of an exhaust swap.
When I had my first dyno I had V&H Big Shots Staggered (which has the Power Chamber technology, basically a 2 into 1 into 2) on and reached about 79HP while an identical bike with V&H 2 into 1 reached 80/81HP.
Implementing a 2 into 1 exhaust the difference with your current setup should be in the range of 3/4 hp. Worth doing? This is something you have to consider keeping in mind the "look" factor you prefer.
Personally I've chosen to sacrifice a couple of HP keeping the 2 into 2 look.
To be honest those Wegner pipes are not my favorite...

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (09-13-2017)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I talked to FM today, these are their numbers:

Kit to be installed locally;
$1299.00 107 Kit
$299.00 cylinder core fee
$879.00 Level B Heads
$650.00 Head core fee
$100.00 Compression Releases

I will also need a clutch enhancement either the Heavy Clutch Spring for $30 or the FM/AIM Variable Pressure Plate for $285. We also talked about getting the 50 mm Throttle Body from a local HD Dealer and they typically run $350 to $400.

Kit installed by Fuel Moto
$2199.00 107 Kit
$879.00 Level B Heads
$100.00 Compression Releases
$285.00 FM/AIM Pressure Plate
$75.00 Oil change/shop supplies
$176.90 Sales Tax (5%)
$3714.90 Total

I like the idea of FM doing the work, but I'm 9hrs from their shop. I will have to make it a family road trip, so add a trailer rental (the one that I have is small and don't trust it for a long trip), plus hotel, etc.

A couple of local shops will charge me around $1000 for labor.

But when it comes to engine upgrades I would like a trusted place...and FM has a lot of good reviews.

Local HD dealer will install the FM setup for $1100, but I will have to pay for a dyno tune $500, if I buy their kit, they will waive the tune fee for the next 30 days.

FM price includes a tune.

My budget is $3500-$4000 I actually had in mine only $2500, but after several inquiries I increased it.

Other shops said that the FM/AIM Pressure Plate ($285) makes the clutch harder to operate at higher RPMs and advised to use the SE, any suggestions?

If you are considering us to do the complete install of your 107 kit it will leave here turn key, ready to go with a 1 year warranty on the build. We stand behind our builds 100%

If you are looking to build a 107 in say the 110-115Hp range I would take a look at either the V&H Pro Pipe 2/1 or the D&D Fatcat, either of these would work really well.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the SE clutch plate with the 5 or 6 individual springs on my 107" motor in my Crossbones and 124" motor in my Fatboy. Adjusted light for the 107 and heavier for the 124 and just used the stock discs. 20k+ on the Fatboy and still good.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Since you are planning to keep your bike for a long time, it makes more sense to do a single "ouch that really hurt my wallet" upgrade. It may seem like a lot but in reality, you are only paying for parts and labor once. Things add up when you bump it up a few cubic inches at a time because you have out grown your current setup.

If I were you (read: if I had an '07 & up motor instead of an '05) I would just drop a 124" crate motor from S&S Cycle (only company that offers a 1 year warranty on their big inch motors - JIMS and Screamin' Eagle don't).

New 124" & 111" Harley Replacement Engine from S&S

Upgrade the ecm, throttle body assembly, 2 into 1 exhaust and clutch and you are good to go.

I started with an 88" and upgraded to a 95". Wanted more power so went to a 107". Motor was trashed due to parts slapper and currently having a 124" installed now by an authorized S&S Cycle trained mechanic.

As you can see, the small upgrades actually cost more in the long term than if I would have just paid a little more up front.
I understand what you are saying and appreciate the suggestion and the potential savings in time and $$$ but I have to stick with my budget, if not, well sky is the limit

I looked at the 120R or 120ST while I was at the HD dealer...really cool.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
Your current exhaust is a V&H Big Radius which is a "pure" 2 into 2.
2 into 2 systems have normally a lower performance compared to 2 into 1 exhausts even though I personally prefer the look of 2 into 2.
What you have to consider is the cost effectiveness of an exhaust swap.
When I had my first dyno I had V&H Big Shots Staggered (which has the Power Chamber technology, basically a 2 into 1 into 2) on and reached about 79HP while an identical bike with V&H 2 into 1 reached 80/81HP.
Implementing a 2 into 1 exhaust the difference with your current setup should be in the range of 3/4 hp. Worth doing? This is something you have to consider keeping in mind the "look" factor you prefer.
Personally I've chosen to sacrifice a couple of HP keeping the 2 into 2 look.
To be honest those Wegner pipes are not my favorite...
Agree, i get that the new exhaust is going to help... but i have to like the look of it also (I like the ones that I have) ...a few extra HP for an exhaust that I don't like is not worth it.

I found some that look pretty cool, Dirty Bird Concepts, look for some youtube videos. Looks and sound pretty cool, I don't know about performance. here is one
or

Last edited by HDFan0611; 10-28-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:32 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If you are considering us to do the complete install of your 107 kit it will leave here turn key, ready to go with a 1 year warranty on the build. We stand behind our builds 100%

If you are looking to build a 107 in say the 110-115Hp range I would take a look at either the V&H Pro Pipe 2/1 or the D&D Fatcat, either of these would work really well.
Jamie... Im really, really... considering going all the way to your shop and get it done. A lot of HD forum guys have several good things to say about your products, customer service and overall company.

But all the extra $$$ and time is what is holding me back...

If I do the 107 build with my current setup (VH big radius, HD Heavy Breather and Power Vision tunner (I bought it from you, thanks) what should I get in HP/TQ?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:18 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I understand what you are saying and appreciate the suggestion and the potential savings in time and $$$ but I have to stick with my budget, if not, well sky is the limit

I looked at the 120R or 120ST while I was at the HD dealer...really cool.
Why not make your budget bigger but at the same time put the work off until you are at the same point you are now with the smaller budget?

No matter what you decide, I strongly suggest to have the crank addressed to handle the extra horsepower and torque.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Wegner X pipe are ugly ... ugly!! I prefer lost 5-10hp and still with the 103"/107" upgrade and big radius exhaust.

Quick Reply: Rocker C upgrade from 96ci to 103 or 110?