Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I'd tell them that if I hire them to fix the gasket, and when I get it back it's making more noise than when they got it.... THEY have a problem!

If they won't agree to stand behind their work, take it somewhere else. Absolutely no reason you should be on the hook for something they screw up!!!
If the original place doesn't stand behind their work, the owner is still left on the hook because the owner is the one that has to pay for the same repair twice.

Life has taught me to get guarantees in writing before making payments.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

View these pics and you can see where the gaskets are located. There are also two gaskets that are part of the newer style breather assembly in the rocker boxes.

These are pics that are part of a tech tip I wrote on the cam tensioner upgrade.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtm...upgrade?sort=9

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmalone
View these pics and you can see where the gaskets are located. There are also two gaskets that are part of the newer style breather assembly in the rocker boxes.

These are pics that are part of a tech tip I wrote on the cam tensioner upgrade.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtm...upgrade?sort=9
Great slide show.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:40 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
There are two parts to the rocker box itself, upper and lower. The rocker assembly is contained by the lower rocker box. Both have gaskets. The upper gasket is between the lower rocker box and the upper; the other gasket is between the lower rocker box and the head.

So to replace the lower rocker box gasket you have to remove the rocker assembly. Replacing the lifter block gasket would involve removing the push rods and push rod tubes (or at least lifting them) as well as the lifter block itself.
I never really thought of that as a lower rocker box gasket, but I guess it is. You are correct!

Old 04-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

For once

I specialize in being wrong according to my wife

Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

So to replace the lower rocker box gasket you have to remove the rocker assembly. Replacing the lifter block gasket would involve removing the push rods and push rod tubes (or at least lifting them) as well as the lifter block itself.
Given you have no valve train noise or desire for anyone to disturb anything in that department, the pushrod tubes sit in the cylinder head so do not NEED to be touched/disturbed at all, or the pushrods for that matter (stock/solid/or adjustable - doesn't matter).

The rest of that picture you can take off and replace the lower gasket No 12, which I presume is the one you need done. Note tho they will probably replace the top one too, and probably the two breather assemblies if they are the newest type because they should be glues together but often come apart when the engine is dismantled.

The new gasket No 12 should be the same thickness as the old one so when the top is all put back together there should be no difference re pushrods what so ever.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Given you have no valve train noise or desire for anyone to disturb anything in that department, the pushrod tubes sit in the cylinder head so do not NEED to be touched/disturbed at all, or the pushrods for that matter (stock/solid/or adjustable - doesn't matter).

The rest of that picture you can take off and replace the lower gasket No 12, which I presume is the one you need done. Note tho they will probably replace the top one too, and probably the two breather assemblies if they are the newest type because they should be glues together but often come apart when the engine is dismantled.

The new gasket No 12 should be the same thickness as the old one so when the top is all put back together there should be no difference re pushrods what so ever.
Someone mentioned replacing the lifter block gasket #33. That is the gasket I was referring to when talking about at least raising the push rod tubes and push rods. Personally, I would remove both to do the job.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Someone mentioned replacing the lifter block gasket #33. That is the gasket I was referring to when talking about at least raising the push rod tubes and push rods. Personally, I would remove both to do the job.
Yea, I got lost on that bit too, which was why I thought it may be useful to clarify.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

There are two parts to the rocker box itself, upper and lower. The rocker assembly is contained by the lower rocker box. Both have gaskets. The upper gasket is between the lower rocker box and the upper; the other gasket is between the lower rocker box and the head.

Correct. In my case it's the lower gasket next to the head that's leaking.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Cool, so you shouldn't need to touch the pushrods at all then.

Is there anything one should check in regard to a leak from this gasket, or is that just gaskets for you? ...replace and keep riding

Quick Reply: Heritage Valve Adjustment