Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relatively epic build thread - 2010 FLSTFB Fatty loooow

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Seat next to musicnbikes
try to keep the drool on your own lap bro

Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Juppies
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, it's definitely moving a little slower than I'd prefer, but we're making progress. She's completely stripped down, and I got the tank/emblems back today. Paint turned out even better than I'd hoped.

While it's essentially down to the frame, I'm replacing some other bolts I couldn't with all the tins on. Also giving the frame a full cleaning, and hiding some wiring.

This spray is a little different than the factory black denim, but not different enough to bother pulling the oil bag and spraying that too. There'll be a ton of gold leaf and striping on the oil bag, so any difference won't be noticeable.

All the lettering and the centers of these emblems will be gold leafed, but I thought gloss base would make it pop over the flat tank.

Here's the RSD Tracker rear fender, this flat is going to look sick with the gloss black fender struts. The acorn nuts and the heads of the mounting bolts will be gold as well.

Here's the Klock Werks front fender, the mounting bolts will be gloss black, and the spacers will be gold.

I'll keep posting as I make progress, now that paint is done I'm hoping we'll be wrapping it up in the next week or so. Stay tuned.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looking forward to seeing the finished product

Old 04-29-2016, 12:16 AM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good! Cant wait to see the gold leaf!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:30 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool tread :-)

Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Juppies
Novice

Titanium Nitride coated parts came back yesterday, and they turned out awesome. There are certain parts that can't be powdercoated or gold plated, so TiN is the perfect solution. It's something like 8x harder than steel, insanely thin (won't even interfere with threads), and can be used on any wear/moving surface. This week, we'll wrap up the air suspension, wheel swap, and all of the other bolt-on stuff. This TiN coating is awesome though! Check it out:

Even the brake rotors can be done, there's nothing that wears off, interferes with the pads or anything, and the coating can still retain pad material. Should have another update Tuesday or Wednesday, we're moving pretty quickly now. Stay tuned!

Btw, http://coatingservicesgroup.com these are the guys that did the coating, and I have to give them a shout out because they were so great. They weren't too familiar with motorcycle stuff as they usually do firearms and industrial coatings, but they went above and beyond. Quick turn around, great packaging and rates. Thanks Jeff and Bethany!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^^ Nice!! I'm look'n forward to seeing it come together......

Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I just stumbled onto this thread, but subscribed now. That flat black really looks substantially different than denim black. It's going to look really good with some gloss and gold.

Good call on the nitride too.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:11 AM
NTA
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking good…

Old 06-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Juppies
Novice

Edited my first post to show the finished product. Build process and tons of build pics will be posted over the next couple of days.

Quick Reply: Relatively epic build thread - 2010 FLSTFB Fatty loooow