Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Deluxe seat is a literal pain in the arse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongo40
I had the same problem, ended up putting a wide mustang with riders backrest on, Night an day for me, doesn't let you keep the handrail but other than that looks pretty much the same, definitely more comfy!!!
I've had several wide solo Mustang seats.Great product. You want the wide even if you are not. They look better and feel better.Spring for the backrest too and you'll be glad you did.

Attached Thumbnails Stock Deluxe seat is a literal pain in the arse.-flstn-092.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the replies and tips guys!!!

We have a local chopper shop that has a whole showroom full of used bikes, with a **** ton of softails with every kind of seat imaginable.

I figured it was a good idea to get the wife to drive me over there and put my butt in different saddles. It beats guessing and wasting the cash on something that would be equal or worse to what I have now.

I tried tractor seats, Heritage Springer seats, Corbin seats, Mustang seats, and a Le Pera seat.

The damnedest thing happened. After dragging my dead leg over these bikes, every seat put my pelvis at different angles. I **** you not, it was like the Three Bears over there and I was a tubby, middle aged Goldilocks.

As far as stock seats, the Heritage Springer was the most comfortable but was way too soft and sent a hot, spiky pain through my butt cheek when I stood the bike up.

The tractor seat was super comfy (cupping my butt wise) but felt like it put me on the bike higher than the stock seat. I have a short inseam, so...

I found that the aftermarket seats were the most forgiving, although it felt like the Mustang was a little wide in the testicular area than the rest. The Corbin was meh, okay. but the Le Pera... Oh god, the Le Pera!

As soon as I put my butt on that Le Pera I noticed how much lower and farther back I sat on the bike. (and here's where you're gonna think I'm nucking futs) When I sat on that seat and put my right foot on the floorboard, my pelvis rocked back and, get this ****, it was like someone flipped a switch and the pain in my leg receded, the tingling in my foot went away, I got a wash of cold that went from my toes to my crotch and then everything from the thigh down felt new.

I sat there a good long while relishing the relief, not believing it and being anxious that it would come back. It DID come back as soon as I got up and started walking around again. Now the mission is finding this position here at home in order to give my wife a break from the sore a$$ed bear she's been patiently dealing with lately.

I think I've found my seat, fellas. Here's the bike I sat on.

When I order this, I'm going to order it in black with either a diamond stitch in white in or a parallel pattern from the front to back to simulate tuck and roll along with a with the white piping.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Do you have a pinched nerve going on from your back injury? Be safe I've gotten dropfoot while riding before and almost wrecked. I'm glad you found a seat you like though!

The following users liked this post:
ccain529 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Do you have a pinched nerve going on from your back injury? Be safe I've gotten dropfoot while riding before and almost wrecked. I'm glad you found a seat you like though!
Yeah, I wen't and had this checked out earlier this week, although, my VA doc doesn't think it's associated with my prior back fracture. This is new. He scheduled me for a CT scan. I'm just waiting to see if they can get me in soon or if I have to go through the Veteran's Choice Program.

No drop foot yet, but there again, I haven't had any real atrophy set in yet.

I've only ridden about 6 miles in the last 3 weeks. Hopefully, this all gets worked out soon because I'm starting to real resentful of all those bikers I hear rolling up and down the street down from the house.

Last edited by ccain529; 04-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the same problem and replaced the stocker with the LePera Maverick Daddy Long Legs seat. It's comfortable and moves you back 2+". Ron

ccain529 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad you found your seat. Did the ape hanger handlebars help?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM
ccain529
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cocky
Glad you found your seat. Did the ape hanger handlebars help?
Thanks!

As it stands right now, I'm going to keep the beach bars I have on the bike. We'll see how that pans out. I may end up changing the bars if I continue to have problems.

That white and black Deluxe I sat on yesterday sure is pretty but those apes are a little too tall for my taste.

On the plus side, apes would keep the wife from stealing my bike for a joy ride because she is a hobbit Don't tell her I said that!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

My secret for bars that make my back pain disappear, either buckhorns or paugcho z bars. They keep you sitting upright and proper. Glad to hear the seat worked out, as someone with back issues since 18 I know how tough it is. Ride safe ccain and keep that new seat clean hahahaha

ccain529 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:26 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

"hobbit?" LOL

Now, as far as the seat issue goes, you might look towards a pneumatic pad. Air hawk makes pads for our bikes. (And they can easily be removed and put on your other bikes (if needed.)

One of the single biggest "rider comfort" items we can do for ourselves is a "rider's" backrest. This forces your back to remain straight while riding.

Usually, when we ride, our backs begin to hunch over forwards to combat the wind. It is this "bending" that is aggravating your injury. Once the back is held straight, it can tolerate much more abuse. Whoops, I mean "hours in the saddle."

It really does make a difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
ccain529 (04-22-2017), Sleeko (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
"hobbit?" LOL

Now, as far as the seat issue goes, you might look towards a pneumatic pad. Air hawk makes pads for our bikes. (And they can easily be removed and put on your other bikes (if needed.)

One of the single biggest "rider comfort" items we can do for ourselves is a "rider's" backrest. This forces your back to remain straight while riding.

Usually, when we ride, our backs begin to hunch over forwards to combat the wind. It is this "bending" that is aggravating your injury. Once the back is held straight, it can tolerate much more abuse. Whoops, I mean "hours in the saddle."

It really does make a difference.

True dat. Though not everybody's taste in seats looks-wise (personally I love it) the Harley Signature Series Seat did the trick for my back troubles while riding due to hunching. All I do is lean from side to side and flick the bike around instead of all the other body motions. I can ride for hours with no issues. Will need a lower windshield though as this new seat sits you much lower in the bike and the line at the top of the windshield is "right there". Best of luck.

Last edited by Sleeko; 04-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.
ccain529 (04-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Stock Deluxe seat is a literal pain in the arse.