Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the front end of a Blackline

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
travalab
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowering the front end of a Blackline

I did a search and read some past threads on this subject, but I am little confused. One option I have read about is shortening the fork tubes. How does this work? I would think a shorter tube would keep the spring in a more compressed state at all times, wouldn't that make for a pretty terrible riding front end?

Progressive does not make lowering springs for the Blackline, so far as I can tell, would the stock springs work? If I do cut down the tubes it would be a considerable amount to get it to match the back.

I have the 422's and I want to lower the front an equal amount to have the bike ride level. What is the best way to go about this?

Travis

Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Cheapest way to lower the front is with a set of progressive drop ins. You don't need to buy shorter fork tubes unless you plan on dropping over 2 inches. The better option is to go with a set of mono tubes.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
travalab
Advanced

I am pretty sure progressive doesn't make make a kit for the Blackline. I sent them an email to be sure, I haven't heard back yet. I think I'll need to lower it more than 2" probably 3-4" I have to wait until my new rear wheel gets here before I can get an exact measurement.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

You should have the 24.5 inch long 41mm fork tubes so if that is the case you can get a 4 inch under fork tube and run a set of 2 inch drop monotubes for a fatboy/deluxe and be real low which is around 3 inch drop. This setup should bring you level with a slammed rear end and still maintain a good Handle and feel

Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a blackline.. Progressive will never produce a lowering kit for it.. I spoke with them.. it is not happening... I bought second hand 41mm forks then I bought the correct Progressive "Drop-In" lowering kit.. super easy to install.. the key is to get a take off from a bike where you are certain is the original front end and that Progressive has the kit for that model / year ( I bought Night Train forks ) .. I hope this helps!!

BTW I was able to lower mine 2 1/2 inches.. but if need more you can loosen the forks and move them upward in the triple tree.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM
travalab
Advanced

Originally Posted by stal94gt
You should have the 24.5 inch long 41mm fork tubes so if that is the case you can get a 4 inch under fork tube and run a set of 2 inch drop monotubes for a fatboy/deluxe and be real low which is around 3 inch drop. This setup should bring you level with a slammed rear end and still maintain a good Handle and feel
So you're saying I can shorten my tubes by 4". Buy the stock fat boy monotubes, and that should net a 3" drop for the front end? The fat boy mono tubes would work with the Blackline sliders?

Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM
travalab
Advanced

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-455
Seems like it produces the same 2" drop as the progressive units.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

There isn't anything special about the Blackline forks, they are standard 41mm softail forks.

I've been running progressive drop-ins for about 3 years now on my Blackline without issue.
Part number 0416-0037
http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=04160037

You can lower more by cutting more off the PVC spacer you install with the kit. I've pulled about 3" out of the front of my bike.

Last edited by Blackp5ca; 04-24-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM
travalab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
There isn't anything special about the Blackline forks, they are standard 41mm softail forks.

I've been running progressive drop-ins for about 3 years now on my Blackline without issue.
Part number 0416-0037
http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=04160037

You can lower more by cutting more off the PVC spacer you install with the kit. I've pulled about 3" out of the front of my bike.
This encouraging, but any idea why progressive said that this kit will not work for the Blackline? Do you have any pictures?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

No idea...Progressive likely see's Harley has a different part number for these forks so maybe they didn't bother for such a limited production run. Maybe they didn't bother to check compatibility..who knows.
I can guarantee you that they slip right in and work perfectly. I dug this information up myself a couple years ago from another Blackline owner and I've been running these springs ever since. Night and day difference. Install is all of 15mins if you don't have to take your bars off (depending on what you're running)

I don't have any pics of the install or a side by side spring comparison, I do have an older picture of the bike with the springs installed though.

The following users liked this post:
dave gough (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Lowering the front end of a Blackline