Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
3000 rpms is cruising speed, dont be afraid to rev a Harley motor...lugging it, below 2800, will take out your bottom end!
That's nothin' but an old wives tale, from back in the day when low-rpm operation made an engine prone to detonation. It was the detonation which caused damage, not the low rpms. With modern computer controls and detonation sensors, it's not really an issue any more, and computer-controlled automatic transmissions will often have engines running around town at 1000 to 2000 rpm, and 1500 to 2000 on the freeway.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-29-2017 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Minister1955 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I agree with Warp and like to also add that higher rpm's was necessary with bikes built prior to 06 due to necessary pressure required to allow oil pump function. Or something to that nature. Not a gear head here, so do 't quote me

Old 04-29-2017, 10:55 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Don't try to argue with hog-doc. He knows it all, from all the years that he worked at some indiscriminate HD shop. He's a wealth of knowledge far beyond what most of us will ever know.
No need to get all but hurt because you posted incorrect information and i corrected you!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
That's nothin' but an old wives tale, from back in the day when low-rpm operation made an engine prone to detonation. It was the detonation which caused damage, not the low rpms. With modern computer controls and detonation sensors, it's not really an issue any more, and computer-controlled automatic transmissions will often have engines running around town at 1000 to 2000 rpm, and 1500 to 2000 on the freeway.
Its not detonation that causes tbe problem with lugging these motors, detonation damages the pjstons at the ring lands, it the abuse the main and rod bearings take due to the unique firing order Harley has. It didt change in 2006 or any other year, still see it happen several times a year, on all years of Twin Cam bikes and when talking to the owners the same thing always comes to light...cruising between 2000 and 2500 RPMs!

Last edited by hog-doc; 04-29-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:19 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Don't try to argue with hog-doc. He knows it all, from all the years that he worked at some indiscriminate HD shop. He's a wealth of knowledge far beyond what most of us will ever know.
Oh and the "indescriminate HD shop" I worked at...the #1 service department in all of Colorado before and while I was there and for the last 9 years...one of the top 25 dealers in the entire country!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Its not detonation that causes tbe problem with lugging these motors, detonation damages the pjstons at the ring lands, it the abuse the main and rod bearings take due to the unique firing order Harley has. It didt change in 2006 or any other year, still see it happen several times a year, on all years of Twin Cam bikes and when talking to the owners the same thing always comes to light...cruising between 2000 and 2500 RPMs!
Hog doc, in and around heavy populated areas and down town centers here in Massachusetts, there is such a thing as reduced speed limits that are heavily enforced. During these times I'm either in second, or sometimes barely able to shift into third. Riding down these local and heavily trafficked areas often makes it difficult to get above 25mph and also includes a lot of stop and go.
Revving my motor above 3k seems overly aggressive and almost menacing. In other word, I have no choice but to to proceed through at slow and snail like pace. I do this for several miles a day. Should I buy a Honda?

Last edited by splattttttt; 04-30-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Its not detonation that causes tbe problem with lugging these motors, detonation damages the pjstons at the ring lands, it the abuse the main and rod bearings take due to the unique firing order Harley has.
What does the firing order have to do with anything? A V-8 has unevenly spaced firing of two cylinders on the same crankshaft rod journal too, and the factory computer controlled automatic on my 650 horsepower Corvette has the engine turning under 1500 rpm at 70 miles per hour. And the factory skip-shift feature on the manuals will often force the driver to shift directly from first gear to fourth when pulling away from a stop, leaving you accelerating at 1000 rpm or less. Yet these engines, making about 1.7 horsepower per cubic inch, have a better factory warranty than Harley.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-01-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

A V8 has evenly spaced crankshaft rotation between firing cylinders, the mass of 7 other balanced rod and piston assemblies and runs on plain bearings. The fact that 2 rods are on 1 journal is irrelevant! Harley motors have NO problem accelerating from 1000 rpms either, its cruising below 2800 rpms that takes its toll on the roller baring bottom ends THESE motors have. Alot of guys tbink thier car knowledge transfers directly over to Harley motors...some does...A LOT doesn't! Even from one engine family to the next, tbe same principles dont apply here!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Hog doc, in and around heavy populated areas and down town centers here in Massachusetts, there is such a thing as reduced speed limits that are heavily enforced. During these times I'm either in second, or sometimes barely able to shift into third. Riding down these local and heavily trafficked areas often makes it difficult to get above 25mph and also includes a lot of stop and go.
Revving my motor above 3k seems overly aggressive and almost menacing. In other word, I have no choice but to to proceed through at slow and snail like pace. I do this for several miles a day. Should I buy a Honda?
I grew up riding in the Bay Area, I know all to well about riding in traffic, what I dont undestand is everybodies fear to rev these things. I ran my 99 Road King gas station to gas station (100 -125 miles) at 4200 rpms day in and day out. I ride my 110ci Slim at 3000+ rpms in all gears, 1st included. Lugging at cruising speed is what kills these motors. Buy and ride whatever you like, but ride it appropriately for whatever it is!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

I teach a basic engine class at work twice a year for our customers, of the 13 classes ive done with 25 -30 people in each, well over 90% think that 3000 rpms is revving the **** out of them and wonder why they cant climb a 5 mile long hill in 6th gear at 50 mph!

Quick Reply: Engine Oil usage