Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Fuelpak vs Dyno/shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
I can't say with certainty but that smells an awful lot like marketing B.S.

All tuners get their data from the ECM. There is no who "reads the 1's and 0's better." Who interprets the 1's and 0's better? Maybe but doubtful now.

Maybe it is true right this minute. Won't be before long though with V&H getting real time data from every bike with a FP3 jacked in it.
In other words: I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but, I'll throw this out there and see if it will stick.

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Everyone is jumping off bridges, it must be the thing to do! Your parents should have taught you that fallacy growing up.

Let's stick to the facts, please.

The FP3 does support cams, how in depth they go... we would need more info from V&H or an unbiased current accounting from an experienced tuner since V&H's last update.
Never said FP3 didnt support cams. Just because you are on V&H nuts doesnt mean everyone else has to be. Didnt your Mama teach you that growing up?

FP3 is fairly new compared to other other ECM tuners. So there's not a lot of performance data out on them other than "my bike runs great with FP3". When making performance upgrades higher than exhaust and AC, i would think you would want the best results since you are paying hard earned dollars.

But hey if you want to do cams, big bore, headwork, higher compression and then rely on a FP3 canned tune and autotune, go for it.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

wow this thread took on a life of its own i love it.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Is an FP3 a waste if all you've done is add slip ons and a K & N element? A new head pipe is in my future for the heat but may be down the road a bit.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
Is an FP3 a waste if all you've done is add slip ons and a K & N element? A new head pipe is in my future for the heat but may be down the road a bit.
No, it will work fine for your application.

Erilflynn (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:23 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
No, it will work fine for your application.
+1

It will work fine for your app it did for mine, If I had bigger cams and engine work done, I would definatly go a different route and have it dyno tuned.
For most of us it will do more then enough though.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jkinner
+1

It will work fine for your app it did for mine, If I had bigger cams and engine work done, I would definatly go a different route and have it dyno tuned.
For most of us it will do more then enough though.
Agree 100% with this.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I just installed the fp3 tuner last week and it works great on my stage one.Decel pop is 95% gone.Fuel mileage is at 45.3 and it just runs more refined and a hair more power over all.Starts much easier once bike is hot from riding on a 90 degree day. I'm impressed with it so far.

saltlick (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Idahokid
I just installed the fp3 tuner last week and it works great on my stage one.Decel pop is 95% gone.Fuel mileage is at 45.3 and it just runs more refined and a hair more power over all.Starts much easier once bike is hot from riding on a 90 degree day. I'm impressed with it so far.
I finally coughed up the $315 this morning and will get it in a few days. I bought the bike with a full pair of V&H big radius pipes and an aftermarket air filter. I dont think any kind of map was applied because the thing has always popped like crazy under any kind of decel. It runs hot, so hot that when i stop for gas and go to restart it it has a hell of a time restarting, not to mention my legs are burning off from the heat of the engine. Final straw was when it backfired super loud while just crusing down the street the other day. Sounded like a shotgun gone off. I looked under my seat and found the plug, nothing plugged in there....downloaded the FP3 app and tried it out for fun. Seems like alot of $$ but i have a feeling in my case it will be worth it. Was quoted $400 to do a dyno tune by my indy, and who knows if that will be worth it or not. I think this is the best way to go.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 PM
DenisLM
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm almost getting a FP3 for my Fat Boy S (Stock). Just for curiosity... but $300+ for curiosity is hard to justify...

Quick Reply: FP3 Fuelpak vs Dyno/shop