Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The day the softail died, and the moco lost its mind.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,418 Likes on 2,224 Posts
Default Nope

Originally Posted by Sticks24
I think most of the negativity comes from jealousy. People love change when it helps them, but not so much when it hurts them. My first instinct is to hate the new advancements to my bike. In truth, it all looks like great stuff. Harleys are getting more modern looking, and many old school guys are going to have a problem with that. Harley needs to move with the times to attract new owners, while still looking classic to keep the older guys. It is a tough tight rope to walk for them.

I dont think the negativity comes from jealousy.. I have an M8 RGU and a HSTC.. I visually just dont like the looks of the new ST line up.. It looks cheap. The only visual improvement imo is the Fat Boy.. The Heritage I cant stand. They cheapened the Deluxe.. Techically, Im impressed... emotionally, im not.. If I wanted a techical stir, Id buy a BMW.. I ride a HD

Last edited by uncle kebo; 08-23-2017 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
CVOJOE (08-23-2017), NCBANDIT (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

HD didn't get rid of Dyna - they gave dyna softail suspension so it makes sense to call those new dyna softail?

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
So much negativity on the forums! I'm not sure what to make of it.

The M8 engine appears to be a winner so it is fair to say that the new line of Softails is improved by a new engine.

Some of the styling I like, some not as much. The new Fat Boy seems to have a nacelle type headlight. Seeing as how a lot of the fellows were adding those on to Fat Boys in earlier years, not sure why that is so bad.

I guess some of the new Softails, or all of them(?) have oil coolers?

At least no one can accuse HD of refusing to change.
The FB boys going with freight train nacelles were a minority and almost exclusively by Lo owners who have moved on. It just doesn't translate as well into chrome and especially the satin finishes.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I hated them for 5 minutes, then really looked at them with open eyes. There are a lot of cool features. The street bob in particular is pretty cool at a very affordable price. I hated the Fat Bob initially, but after watching Rusty Butcher wheelie one up and down the street, I am changing my mind. And I really like the front end of the Slim.

I think all of them will surprise us in person. The parts look cheap because they are beefy which usually corresponds to plastic and cheap in metric bikes, but I think they are going to be real nice pieces in person. I could be wrong and they end up looking like plastic turds.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,765 Likes on 776 Posts

I think most of the negativity comes from jealousy. People love change when it helps them, but not so much when it hurts them. My first instinct is to hate the new advancements to my bike. In truth, it all looks like great stuff. Harleys are getting more modern looking, and many old school guys are going to have a problem with that. Harley needs to move with the times to attract new owners, while still looking classic to keep the older guys. It is a tough tight rope to walk for them.
Has nothing to do with jealousy. What's there to be jealous of? The technical/performance improvements are good. The styling is hideous. And no matter how technically good a bike is, most people won't ride something they consider ugly. IMHO, HD laid a big stinky rotten egg with these bikes. We'll see if it hurts their bottom line... or helps it.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamjoop
I hated them for 5 minutes, then really looked at them with open eyes. There are a lot of cool features. The street bob in particular is pretty cool at a very affordable price. I hated the Fat Bob initially, but after watching Rusty Butcher wheelie one up and down the street, I am changing my mind. And I really like the front end of the Slim.

I think all of them will surprise us in person. The parts look cheap because they are beefy which usually corresponds to plastic and cheap in metric bikes, but I think they are going to be real nice pieces in person. I could be wrong and they end up looking like plastic turds.
The Fat Bob is finally cool. Never liked them before now. Especially the tail light.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

I would buy the new Breakout but i stand to lose 50% off the price of a new bike on my bike if i trade after only a few months of owning my brand new 2017 Breakout ...

So i guess i am stuck with my bike for a long long time

I went to see if i could get a good trade in price sadly the dealership told me i will lose 50% of what i paid if i trade her in now .. thet only offered me $8,000 as a trade even though my bike is stage 5

Basically they said $20,000 for the new one out the door and $8000 for my 2017 stage 5 breakout

Last edited by Jessica Sinclair; 08-23-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Clammy
Has nothing to do with jealousy. What's there to be jealous of? The technical/performance improvements are good. The styling is hideous. And no matter how technically good a bike is, most people won't ride something they consider ugly. IMHO, HD laid a big stinky rotten egg with these bikes. We'll see if it hurts their bottom line... or helps it.
Mainly because they are better bikes in almost every way. Just because they don't look like they did before, doesn't make them ugly. I will stick with my butt hurt jealousy claim.

shorelasHD (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
I would buy the new Breakout but i stand to lose 50% off the price of a new bike on my bike if i trade after only a few months of owning my brand new 2017 Breakout ...

So i guess i am stuck with my bike for a long long time

I went to see if i could get a good trade in price sadly the dealership told me i will lose 50% of what i paid if i trade her in now .. the only offered me $8,000 as a trade even though my bike is stage 5
In acceptance lieth peace!

Jessica Sinclair (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The Fat Bob is finally cool. Never liked them before now. Especially the tail light.
Agreed 100%. The old taillight was fugly as could be. Me and a few buddies have been building a dirt figure 8 track with a narrow pass through and jump for some old sporties, but if one of us hits the powerball a handfull of the new fat bobs would be a cool choice.

Quick Reply: The day the softail died, and the moco lost its mind.