Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Harley Slim sissy bar modification without relocating turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Proper Harley Slim sissy bar modification without relocating turn signals

So I tried to install OEM sissy bar with mods described in forum. What was recommended was to shave steel bracket so it doesnt touch turn signal and thats about it. What I found out is that latch is not fully engaging and still touching turn signal creating mark/scratch. I thought I will share what I did that allowed full latch engagement and no contact by brame of sissy bar or latch. Here we go:

End product (latch)

I will recommend shaving this to 9mm as clearance is mimimal with this measurement but still works (metal main frame)

File this with angle to about 2.5mm (inside -closer to fender surface)

Outside latch hight was about 4.5 mm.

Previous owner bent it a bit so I straightened this out

Last edited by Burbur2; 10-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Dukes_Slim
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy to file to fit turn signals

Had exactly the same issue in that I wanted to keep the bike standard without relocating the turn signals. Previous post's show the method to cut/file the side plates to travel past the turn signal mounts. As mentioned the locking mech will not fully engage and press down onto the signal mount. To fix. Disassemble the locking mech and then file down the pin foot print on both sides at a angle and across the seat face. I found that to clear the turn signal mount the seat face was finally filed down to the where the pin was just starting to show. Once reshaped and painted it fit's and locks perfectly. Don't know why HD didn't make it this way in the first instance as their relocation solution does nothing to enhance the bike. BTW when I haven't got the 2 up and sissy bar on the same mod works for the attachable rack and solo seat.