Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail saddlebag options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:10 AM
tbplayer
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Locking bags with more capacity than the stock 2018 Heritage bags. That would be my only reason for changing them out - to get capacity closer to touring hardbags.

Otherwise, I'd wait and see if cyclevisions or someone comes out with 2018 baggertail brackets.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:45 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't like the '18 Softail bags and won't buy the HD set. Just 1 man's opinion:

1. Opening is too small
2. Ugly exposed lock
3. Big on the outside, small on the inside
4. Bloated appearance

Ideally bags will be useful AND look good. Makes me think of all the cool baggers people are modding these days -- that's the ideal. I feel like HD didn't get either half of the equation correct, if you can get functional OR attractive you'll be 1 step ahead.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:08 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like we need to have several different bags. I'm hoping we can alter our LP4000 series bags to make them fit on the Heritage and Deluxe. We have several ways we can go on that. An altered LP3200 series should fit the Fat Boy and Breakout, but we are going to need something totally new for the Slim/Street Bob/Lowrider models.

Keep the good ideas coming!

Garry

Old 10-06-2017, 11:30 PM
dusty1300
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

On my 18 Fat Boy, I have an newly redesigned Easy Bracket mounting system, and I did move the turn signals with the Harley kit. Not too bad to install, just a lot of wire connections, which were made easy with Posi-Lock connectors.

The bags in the picture are cheap Castle bags I had around. Will be getting others at some point, or just a swing arm bag.

Tom

The following users liked this post:
idntnojp (06-20-2019)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:30 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Waiting for a solo or swing arm bag for the left side of my Breakout. I’ll use a backpack hanging onto the sissy bar for laptop and stuff, sitting on the pillion for more cushion and to leave what’s left of the rear fender uncluttered by a rack. Think I can do without saddlebags for my needs. Really don’t want the tail lights sticking out past the back fender.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:02 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree with what everyone else said. Current heritage bags could have been better designed. Need a bigger opening,latching mechanism should have been on the side similar to the touring bikes with a nicer latch. Im getting the touring pack on back so I can put my jacket in and other stuff. Side bags are only good for small items.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I had a set of Garry's retro FXDXT style bags on my Dyna Fat Bob which went with it when I sold it. They were great bags....

So I'd like the same or similar for the Softail Fat Bob - understanding that it would mean the stock exhaust would need to go.

I'd like them to have integrated rain covers fitted in a pocket at the back or side, so you can just pull them out and over the bags when it rains. Having said that, Garry has never claimed that the old bags were waterproof - but mine did a damn fine job of it! I had the leather ones as opposed to the ballistic nylon.

The other thing I would like is a left hand side solo bag or swing arm bag big enough for day trips. Preferably leather, but in a clean modern style with no chrome tassels or conchos. If it has straps, then I would like the buckles to be Austrialpin Cobra buckles for ease of use and longevity. Oh - and quick release as well!

That's my wish list!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:31 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I am glad to see you guys seeking customer feedback. I say for the Deluxe is to adapt your current LP4080 bag to fit the new docking system. I love my bags and the match the Deluxe theme to a tee. One thing you may think about is, on my 06 Sportster OEM bags is they have a nylon net compartment inside the bag thay can hold papers and thinks that are thin or flat. Its very handy. I think that would be a great addition to yours. It could even be inside the top lid. I think you have the best bags and locking mechanism on the market.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Cocky - I love your avatars, you just have great taste with no matter which one you use, truly a delight to watch such avatar creativity!!!

With a tear in eye - I thank you!

Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for the kind words LXT. I try to give you folks a little extra enjoyment along with these fine discussions on this wunderful forum.

The following users liked this post:
heavymetalthunder (10-08-2017)

Quick Reply: 2018 Softail saddlebag options?