2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
I did send Avon Grips (and a couple of website that sell the product) an email on Friday asking if the throttle assist end cap would work with memory foam grips but have not gotten a reply yet. I will let you know once I find out for sure if they will fit.

I wanted to follow up on this throttle assist. I received an email from Avon stating the throttle assist will not work with the large memory foam grips but does work with the smaller memory foam grips.

Large Memory Foam Grips (1.65") = No
Small Memory Foam Grips (1.50") = Yes
Just pulling the sizes of the top of my head not positive those are the actual diameter of them.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Will do.my quote was 7 hours for the stage 1+2 combined, but I'm hoping it'll come in closer to 5. I'll be picking it up Saturday.
If you’re getting the SE Street Cannons I hope you like ‘em. I tried to be clear that they’re right for me, but I just wanted an improvement over stock but not as loud as many prefer. I didn’t expect the low rpm improvement which is nice. And at all rpms I like the sound much better. They are louder than stock and at the limit of what I wanted, so perfect, for me. But I know a lot of guys like to hear more. Plenty of straight and pipes and minimal baffles around this town. I don’t mean to mislead anyone. These are still EPA-friendly, which surprises me cuz they ain’t quiet, but not ear-splitters either.

Look forward to reading about your impressions when you get the bike back from the shop.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:25 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18
If you’re getting the SE Street Cannons I hope you like ‘em. I tried to be clear that they’re right for me, but I just wanted an improvement over stock but not as loud as many prefer. I didn’t expect the low rpm improvement which is nice. And at all rpms I like the sound much better. They are louder than stock and at the limit of what I wanted, so perfect, for me. But I know a lot of guys like to hear more. Plenty of straight and pipes and minimal baffles around this town. I don’t mean to mislead anyone. These are still EPA-friendly, which surprises me cuz they ain’t quiet, but not ear-splitters either.

Look forward to reading about your impressions when you get the bike back from the shop.
I think they'll be perfect for what I want on this bike based on your description. My cammed FXR with a pro pipe and Dyna with V&H BSS are both full on noise makers when I want them to be. The Heritage just needs a little help, but honestly I'm not looking for anything too loud. My stockers have broken in well and I'm almost happy with them at 75+. Nice rumble. If anything I've been hoping not to change it too much in the wrong way. I'll know for sure tomorrow, but I bet I'll be smiling.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:21 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I had a rather nice out today with about 20 other bikes. We did about 190 miles and this bike keeps impressing me!

As the motor is loosening up, the sound is nicer - especially when you get on it a bit. It's still too quiet at low RPM, and you can hear the sound from the gear driven counterbalances more than the exhaust note at low speeds. So I am definitely looking forward to the S&S slip ons.

But the mileage really impressed me today. We were a group, so weren't going crazy fast, but the bike returned 48.9 MPG (US Gallons). That basically means a tank would run about 175 miles.

I had done 90 miles when we made out first stop and the fuel gauge had just hit half a tank.

Not sure if the better MPG is because of Jamie's tune, the motor getting looser or a combination of both, but I was very pleasantly surprised....

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:05 PM
vyasar
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got my bike back from the dealer today after it was out the last couple of weeks for warranty issues with a broken gear. Feels great to ride my fat bob again after I was riding a couple of loaner bikes - the street glide and the sportster 1200 LT. It is truly in a different league!
Also I got tired of waiting for the short black sissybar (which has been on backorder forever), so got the regular sissybar, pad, and docking hardware and installed it. Along with the new sun downer seat for the fat bob (inspired by the new OEM seat), it all fits together nicely. Will probably head to Yosemite tomorrow morning with my girl if things work out.

Some pics -

Old 10-28-2017, 06:59 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

The regular sissy bar can be used for securing a bag or backpack, and it still isn’t huge looking. I think it looks great. (I just got one, and the backpack too. Laptop in the pack will get the cushioned seat to rest on, and the back rest cushion to rest against, not a metal rack over the fender. The backpack and a swing-arm bag is as much luggage as my Breakout will see.) That Fat Bob looks nice. And yes, definitely a different league.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:12 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

vyasar,

That looks......FANTASTIC!!!!

Old 10-29-2017, 04:18 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vyasar
Also I got tired of waiting for the short black sissybar (which has been on backorder forever), so got the regular sissybar, pad, and docking hardware and installed it. Along with the new sun downer seat for the fat bob (inspired by the new OEM seat), it all fits together nicely. Will probably head to Yosemite tomorrow morning with my girl if things work out.
Glad you got the bike back and the dealer sorted you out!

The regular sissy bar looks good. I am planning on getting that rather than the short one so that I can use it to secure the big HD rolling tour bag to. I think the short one would be.....well....too short!

Also the sundowner looks good too. The one I had on my Dyna looked super ugly. I need to get so my wife can ride....

Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Kendoji
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome to see those pics with the Sundowner and sissy bar. I’m still deliberating between a few of the 2018 models for when I make my planned move to Harley in the Spring, but most likely it’ll be the Fat Bob. I’d definitely go with the Sundowner as well, so good to see it looks good on the bike. Now I’d really like to see how the Fat Bob looks with one of the removeable windscreens.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kendoji
Now I’d really like to see how the Fat Bob looks with one of the removeable windscreens.
Me too - because I am really thinking about getting one for touring next year. I think the shorter tinted 15" one will look better, but the 19" clear one might be the better bet for what I want.

They say the new ones have a recurved tip - and I really want to know whether there is buffeting or not.

In other words, I want my dealer to lend me both screens so I can do some proper testing. But they don't have any yet...

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....