Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thingfish goes Stage 2...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bbissell
Sounds good and thanks for the review! I hope to have mine done in a few weeks.
Thanks. Can't imagine you not liking it. Your review next!

Originally Posted by DanBO18
Great to hear about your upgrade Thingfish. I’m glad to read a review from a more experienced Harley owner. While it was just right for me, I know it won’t be enough for a lot of guys. And I know you can get more bang for the buck as long as one is willing to toss the warrantee out the window.

It’s got more power, but not mad power like adding more cubes. It doesn’t sound stock anymore, but neighbors won’t complain about it either. Not the right pipes if you hate your neighbors. Ha!
Ha! You're right it definitely does not sound stock anymore and it's a good improvement. Your review gave me solid expectations. A lot of guys want pure beast mode and it can be done, but the price is often a bike that's not every day versatile. I know what the itch feels like and I have it on my FXR. I think we struck a good balance. It'll also get more noticeable as the pipes break in.

Originally Posted by cvaria
did they dyno it or are you rolling canned?
It was strictly the basic flash. Cable is back ordered so no auto tuning yet either. It ran very solidly, but there's likely more oomph there.

Originally Posted by Dread
Awesome! Very nice and detailed review Thingfish. I'm glad you like it, but for some reason the TQ difference felt like more of a kick in the pants for me. I have much less experience with Harleys and have not ridden my 114 as much as you have, so maybe that is why I am so damn enthusiastic. Still, I am happy with the upgrade and love riding my bike even more now. ...I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
Lol!! Cowbell indeed! I do think it's a nice upgrade. I just squeezed in another quick ride tonight and it's sinking in a bit more. I may have been adjusting to the pipes a bit too. Before when it was stock it really took off so fast and quietly it felt very effortless and powerful. Now I think it is significantly stronger to about 3800 rpms, but the louder pipes let you hear the motor doing the work more. In a weird way it made it feel less powerful than it actually was because it seemed to be working harder to go faster, but I think that was just my ears adjusting. Tonight it seemed stronger as I get more used to what it's telling me. Also the Fat Bob has a different exhaust set up so you might be seeing a slightly different gain. Not planning to drag race you that's for sure...Also your bike is lighter by about 50 lbs.

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Very nice write up, thank you for the sound clips
Thanks and my pleasure. Nothing compared to the updates your putting the effort into. I think these pipes will wear in well.

Originally Posted by Wardognal 1958
Sounds great. I am leaning towards the Vines and Hines shorties. I want to get rid of the cat.
V&H are great pipes. Love them on my Dyna and FXR. Definitely in the louder category. I might try a slip on down the road...keeping the warranty for now.

Originally Posted by Mikerunsjax
Sounds good, and nice looking bike too.
Thanks! Yes really enjoying it.

As I said, I took a last minute jaunt tonight. Turned off the tach and just cruised without trying to notice anything...I'm liking it more and more in general. The sense of added power is settling in as I just ride normally...pulling away from lights, navigating traffic, taking some nice curves on a twisty road...

I'm already itchy to get back on it and ride. Monday morning commute may not be so bad....

More updates to come.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-30-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kb_jag
Brilliant work as usual fish. Thanks again for taking the time and review your upgrades. I been hanging out waiting to hear the results of your Stage II. Well done! Top Bloke!
Thanks kb...I think it'll take a few more rides to really figure it all out, but so far I'm liking it more every time I fire it up.

Originally Posted by mjwebb
excellent review and thanks for sharing..great information for people considering this upgrade..really like the improved exhaust sound..when I took that same bike for a test ride I kept thinking..damn this is nice, what more does anyone really need from an engine especially in the lighter soft tail..and getting more like you did has to feel like icing on the cake. congrats and I'm sure you'll be brushing your teeth more often to clean all the bugs out of your wide open smile!
Thanks MJ. Yup, I am still smiling. I love this thing...and honestly icing is exactly what it feels like because it was so nice even purely stock. The stock pipes at 2000 miles sound significantly better than new. These Canons of course are starting out at 3x better at least...break in should be nice. It's funny to have a bike that runs better than any Harley I've owned...and still be tempted to modify it a bit. I don't want to take it too far though. If it wasn't for the 60 day warranty window I'm not sure what I'd have chosen to do right now, probably just a nice stage 1 for a little more sound...but with a 5 year ESP I wanted to avoid any itches 3 years from now too. In the mean time plenty more bugs are going to get theirs tomorrow on my ride to work!

Old 10-30-2017, 03:32 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Nice write up - better sound and more power. What's not to like?

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts. What impresses me most is the honesty of your review. That gives others the benefit of real world expectations. How many times have we read about some guy replacing a set of mufflers and heard "OMG, the bike is so much faster you gotta really hold on now". Enjoy your build and keep us updated. Seriously thinking about the same build including the mufflers. I don't like loud so they sound perfect for me.

Thingfish (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you the for the write up. It's nice to have you fellows describing what your feeling while on the bike for us with the stage II installs. Different perspectives on how the bikes preform and you expectations add was helpful. I know you are having fun!

Thingfish (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Quick update...it was cool and cloudy/rainy this morning, but not on my 30 mile ride...it was cozy listening to the nice mellow rumble of the pipes. Still very mellow at cruise, but can be heard nicely through my helmet. Power just feels good. It's more like a soup you could eat with a fork than when it was stock.

One thing I noticed was in 5th and 6th it seemed to drop off closer to 3900 than 4500 previously. Need to test 3rd and 4th gears on the way home a little more. It wasn't bad, but it felt different up there...need to confirm more tonight. Need the right road conditions as it is going pretty fast at those rpms. This might be tweakable with a tune. With a Street tuner I'm not sure, but an FP3 or PV most likely.

Still smiling and very happy. Caught 2 bugs on the nose today.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
One thing I noticed was in 5th and 6th it seemed to drop off closer to 3900 than 4500 previously. Need to test 3rd and 4th gears on the way home a little more. It wasn't bad, but it felt different up there...need to confirm more tonight. Need the right road conditions as it is going pretty fast at those rpms. This might be tweakable with a tune. With a Street tuner I'm not sure, but an FP3 or PV most likely.
Once I get ~2K miles on these Street Cannons I’m going to swap-in a K&N air filter and then get it dyno tuned. I’ll keep the Street tuner, and the warranty. I accept the implied limitations. It seems you’d have to be going pretty fast to do the high gear/high rpm runs for road tuning in that range. Plus I want to see the chart at some point.

Thingfish (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanBO18
Once I get ~2K miles on these Street Cannons I’m going to swap-in a K&N air filter and then get it dyno tuned. I’ll keep the Street tuner, and the warranty. I accept the implied limitations. It seems you’d have to be going pretty fast to do the high gear/high rpm runs for road tuning in that range. Plus I want to see the chart at some point.
That sounds like a solid plan. It certainly has all the power I like right now. I had to try to get into that rev range to notice the difference. I know some will wonder about that, but generally I going damn fast by that rpm. It's nice having a couple of us figuring this out at the same time. We're in grin heaven right now. I'll be interested how yours goes. Hard to get a good dyno in SoCal these days.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Thingfish - way to keep us in the loop, the feed back on Mods is nice & what can be expected from them. Enjoy.....!

Thingfish (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Thanks LXT. It's been interesting having all the old knowledge need to be figured out again slightly regarding this new motor. Keeps it interesting.

Quick Reply: Thingfish goes Stage 2...