Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

John's 2018 lowrider thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:17 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

I felt the ABS had a very slow ON-OFF pulse. Much slower than I expected and I feel like it’s too slow to do any good. Under normal conditions I can stop the bike much quicker by manually controlling it and not locking them up. I proved this during an IRC course when I tried it both ways with an expert instructor present. I don’t know how they’d work on a wet surface, but the pulse is so slow that I’m not sure if they’d do any good. Maybe I’m wrong, but my experience with automobile ABS is that they pulse much more quickly. Maybe that would be bad on a bike. Dunno. Hope I never really need them.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18
I felt the ABS had a very slow ON-OFF pulse. Much slower than I expected and I feel like it’s too slow to do any good. Under normal conditions I can stop the bike much quicker by manually controlling it and not locking them up. I proved this during an IRC course when I tried it both ways with an expert instructor present. I don’t know how they’d work on a wet surface, but the pulse is so slow that I’m not sure if they’d do any good. Maybe I’m wrong, but my experience with automobile ABS is that they pulse much more quickly. Maybe that would be bad on a bike. Dunno. Hope I never really need them.

did you notice a big clunk if you tried to lock them down? I don't even feel a pulse... they dealer traded my bike in, hope the damn thing had ABS! The ABS light flashes when I start it so guess so. Maybe I'm not really locking it hard enough, didn't want to warp rotors on day one. I know in the rain I didn't lock the rear up and Im known for doing that on non-abs bikes.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:27 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

If your bike has ABS you'll see a small wire following the front brake line down to the caliper.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ktp1598
If your bike has ABS you'll see a small wire following the front brake line down to the caliper.

I searched the vin, it has it. Lol. I think the ABS light is a giveaway.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:37 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes on the light. It's an expensive option on a Harley but I feel better knowing I have it.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ktp1598
Yes on the light. It's an expensive option on a Harley but I feel better knowing I have it.

worth EVERY penny! When I bought my first street glide last year it didn't have ABS, I was coming off a Kawasaki Voyager that did have it. I slid that sucker past every dag on drive way in the rain the first week. Once the oil pump on the 103 went out at 1500 miles (fluke) I bought a 17 107 glide and it was soo much nicer having ABS again. I made my dealer drive a long ways to get my bike because they don't even stock ABS bikes. I guess most people just see extra $$ signs rather than safety. I ride all year long, in all sorts of weather though I don't try to ride in the rain it happens, and the ABS really shines at that point!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

I test rode on yesterday. It's a nice bike, but vibrates like crazy when you are wringing it out in High rpms. The vibes go away when you are at cruising speed, but the motor felt very heavy because of the dual counter balancers working its magic. Steering felt heavy compared to my Road King but the stock bars are weird and a set of Heritage bars would probably fix it. One thing I didn't like was the slippery seat. But that 107 motor is really good. The transmission is even slicker.

Also I didnt like the mid-pegs given Im a short dude at 5'5". My knees started to ache after the small 5 mile loop I took. Overall it's great bike. That 107 motor is a beast, Im not sure why people need more power but this is more than enough power for most people.

Also the braking on this is real good. Not sure if it even needs a 2nd front rotor. That would just add more unsprung weight. I am able to break with just my middle finger on the lever.

This bike would be perfect with heritage bars, floorboards, cruiser control, a windshield, and saddle bags. But then again, that is why I have a road king.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:22 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I test rode on yesterday. It's a nice bike, but vibrates like crazy when you are wringing it out in High rpms. The vibes go away when you are at cruising speed, but the motor felt very heavy because of the dual counter balancers working its magic. Steering felt heavy compared to my Road King but the stock bars are weird and a set of Heritage bars would probably fix it. One thing I didn't like was the slippery seat. But that 107 motor is really good. The transmission is even slicker.

Also I didnt like the mid-pegs given Im a short dude at 5'5". My knees started to ache after the small 5 mile loop I took. Overall it's great bike. That 107 motor is a beast, Im not sure why people need more power but this is more than enough power for most people.

Also the braking on this is real good. Not sure if it even needs a 2nd front rotor. That would just add more unsprung weight. I am able to break with just my middle finger on the lever.

This bike would be perfect with heritage bars, floorboards, cruiser control, a windshield, and saddle bags. But then again, that is why I have a road king.

you need to go ride it again! lol. I came off a street glide and it's just ridiculously light compared to it. I'm 5'10" and the pegs are really comfortable to me. The bars could stand to be about an inch farther back (going to just toss some risers on it) I do think the braking is just as good as the dual rotors on the glide too. When you loose 300 pounds you don't really need the same brakes. (People are going way over board over that, plus technology has changed!) The first time I road the low rider and the fat boy I didn't like either, but I was used to my setup. It took a few miles. Heck, I went and picked up a 17 street glide identical to mine w/o bars on it for our dealership (they traded it in for a GMC Truck) and it felt funny the entire 40 mile ride back! Oh yeah, They do have some really nice bags for these bikes. I like that they are quick disconnect and it looks good w/ or w/o. I am running a swing arm bag since I don't carry a ton and my wife's trike will haul anything we could need! Also added the windshield! It's defiantly a different feel! They offer cruise for it too. Maybe the dealer polished up the seat, I always feel nice and planted in mine??

Sorry, was just addressing the things you said! If everyone fit one bike they wouldn't make 1,000 different models! I swear it's a better ride than my 17 glide was though and way more fun and nimble. If you're looking for a softail and the floorboards I think the slim has all that, it's a sweet looking ride too.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 PM
John Kyle
Cruiser

Got my front LED's installed (that took 30 seconds! Lol.). I used all custom dynamics on the rear but cheaped out and got $30 eBay ones for the front, really impressed with quality and brightness. Also got my riders claw phone mount installed. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The windshield tilts back and the darn galaxy s8+ is so big I couldn't tilt it back as much as I'd like, and not sure how it'll ever fit if I add risers... adjusted it to the closest point I could get the phone in and out without touching the windshield. Excuse the messy garage! Was trying to rearrange to make room to put my truck in there too BUT with a 60" zero turn, wife's SUV, a bike, trike, 3 four wheelers, boxes we haven't even unpacked from moving 2 years ago, parts of the house left over from our new siding, Windows and doors and now a small pen for my wife's 18 year old dog that's in "hospice" I don't think it's happening!

Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 PM
John Chirico
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have a 2018 Lowrider, mine in electric blue. FWIW, both the front and back brakes squeaked horribly. I was told they were glazed at the 1000 mile service. Seems okay now, but haven't put but ~50mi on it since the service due to the weather. I love the bag.

Last edited by John Chirico; 11-18-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: John's 2018 lowrider thread