Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aks 2014 Daytona Blue Slim

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:12 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,264 Likes on 931 Posts

Lookin' good.

FWIW, I've tried the VHT high heat header paint & find it too flat,
doesn't match much anything on the bike. Same for the VHT
caliper paint (in black), doesn't match, not the finish I'm after.

I generally use the VHT high heat Engine (block) enamel & it matches
pretty good.

I've never seen the VHT Barrel paint, probably have to order it online
(perhaps amazon).

T.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

some minor cosmetic updates coming, removing side reflectors (i dont like em at all), replacing the turn signals and brake lights with amber and red bulbs with smoke black turn signal lens that were just delivered that will probably tonight or tomorrow. . won a harley gloss black 7" visor trim ring on ebay that will go on once i get it. taking my bike to my buddys shop sunday to get the lowering bolts put in and that new broken brake pedal welded and put on. Harley has my 2 sets of spare keys made so once i pick those up ill have em fix that lose pipe in my exhaust. My lady says i cant ever leave any vehicle stock... its true

Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain

so i struggled with trying to install the 7" visor headlight ring for about a hour and gave up last night. i put the stock one back on and set it aside for now. i looked through plenty of other threads of people who had the same issues of fitment but i see it takes determination to make these fit... harley could have designed them better is what every one is saying. its gona be a PITA when i get a daymaker and have to do it all over again

the ring appears to be slightly bigger than the 7" radius but from what i gathered you kinda have to force it to snap into place using an adjusting clamp and then tighten the screw. none of them have been direct fit and its a weird design flaw from the dealership

more pics to come after i get it installed

Last edited by AK883xl; 02-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

Well i finally got the pipe off the vance & hines 2-1 hi output exuast to check what the rattle was all about. Looks like the baffle cup with the holes broke off in the baffle... dont know how this is even possible when theres literally 2000 miles on this bike. Im about to ride it back to the dealership to see what they can do. I feel like they should give me a new baffle to put in there. Note i only had it 2 weeks and put about 250 miles on it

Old 02-17-2018, 06:19 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Congrats on your ew bike.
Love my 2024 FLS. Only issue I have with mine is alwYs scraping floor boards.
Once touched the primary.
These bimes are low, but why we like’em so
That part of your baffle may not belong there. Just leave it out

Old 02-17-2018, 07:32 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

Yea man i love this damn bike! Its perfect. I rode it up to the dealer to show them what happened. It looked like the part vibrated lose and snapped off the welds. Its the stock baffle.. theyre ordering me the competition performance baffle which is a little bit louder with a deeper tone. Will install it for me free of charge and under warranty, i just have to wait for it to come in.

This is what the baffle should look like inside

Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

Updates

Headlight
Was looking on line for some LED 7" headlamps and managed to find someone to closely color match a Daymaker type LED replacement headlight for me so i ordered one. hopefully its close in color when it is installed... none the less i think itl be cool to have something unique.

did a lil photochop mock up to test what itl look like

As far as the Harley Trim Ring Visor
maybe i purchased one for another bike and i couldnt sleep thinking about how horrible the fit my headlight trim and was sitting on my bike. i even went to harley and inspected some of their fitment... and although there was a gap they fit more snug.

Harley road king fitment

so i measured and i would need to subtract 3/4" to make the ring fit nicely over my headlamp seamlessly so i did so and broke out the dremmel. I took my time and made some nice exact cuts, even left a little notch under so the screw from the trim ring can fit without being jammed underneath. now to paint trim the cut edges and throw it on!

and some cut foam rubber weather seal to fit in to prevent water from leaking inside and causing rust etc

Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Lue day maker’s really a smart
idea.
Didn’t know theyat there were color options.

Far as you trim rin... Not 100% shure, but the ones that fit a 7” might not match the freight train nechelle. And tmaybe if I’m right?, there might be a problem resembling my suspicion

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

The touring bikes with a batwing use a different mounting style than the softail FL front ends. I went through this with a Kur led halo ring.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

The rain stopped for a few hours here in Dallas so i was able to pull the bike out and tinker around. I cut the headlight ring down and got it to fit snug. I believe this one was for a different bike, maybe a road king due to the different size originally. But i got my blue LED daymaker style headlamp in and mounted that up too.

and just contemplating blacking out my front forks and primary so i wanted to see what it will look like.

getting the bike lowered this weekend so pics to follow

Quick Reply: Aks 2014 Daytona Blue Slim