Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Fat Bob with HD/Blackmill aftermarket mods - reviews, lessons, and more to come

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

This model is pretty much the only new model I like. I sat on all of them.
How is that sheid? Buffeting? I like Windvest sheilds.
Maybe some bar end mirrors ala cafe?
One of these may be in my future.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:22 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
This model is pretty much the only new model I like. I sat on all of them.
How is that sheid? Buffeting? I like Windvest sheilds.
Maybe some bar end mirrors ala cafe?
One of these may be in my future.
To answer your questions:

The 19" shield (for me, at 5' 8" with a FF helmet) has zero buffeting up to 70 mph and minimal buffeting from 70-90. Over 90 it seems to smooth itself out. Or maybe it's just that at that speed you are focussing on other things and don't really notice it anymore....in any case, what buffeting there is is minor and quite acceptable given the trade off for not having your body feel like a sail in a strong wind.

You won't be able to fit most bar end mirrors, or bar end indicators as there is a throttle by wire actuator in the RHS bar end and a vibration reducing weight in the left.

It's a fantastic bike. Especially the 114" with Stage 2 :-)

Go book a test ride if you haven't already....

Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
emdx3
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm 6'2" with a moderately long torso, so I experience some buffeting on the top of my helmet. However, it's not that bad and I'm completely ok with it for what I typically use this bike for (daily highway commute, around town rides).

Also, I just ordered a Saddlemen TR-Step-Up seat. It should put me an inch lower by the looks of it, which would reduce buffeting further.

https://www.saddlemen.com/tr-step-up...arley-davidson

Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's obviously a tuff looking bike and could be the new style to come? Honestly I think they could have done a nicer/lower, more modern dash, that thing just kind of looks like they took it off another HD and stuck it on there!

Last edited by rquest; 05-24-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 AM
BobCat2
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some additions to my opinion about V&H Slip-ons. They produce a really loud "boom" when you close the throttle on mid or high rpms. As I understand from the Tuning part of this forum, it can be a poor air/fuel mix and require a tuner. Even with my OEM 107 "low-flow" air cleaner. So, SE Tuner or other "fuel packs" is a required option as well...

The following users liked this post:
emdx3 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:57 PM
emdx3
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobCat2
Some additions to my opinion about V&H Slip-ons. They produce a really loud "boom" when you close the throttle on mid or high rpms. As I understand from the Tuning part of this forum, it can be a poor air/fuel mix and require a tuner. Even with my OEM 107 "low-flow" air cleaner. So, SE Tuner or other "fuel packs" is a required option as well...
That's good to know. I was planning on getting a tune right after the install. Now, if V&H would only ship my damn slip ons already! Haha.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 PM
emdx3
Advanced

So they are in stock now according to Revzilla's website. Also, they are on sale for 10% off for the next 2 hours!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...l-fat-bob-2018

Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM
emdx3
Advanced

My V&H slip ons were just delivered. The first appointment I could get for a tune is in 2 weeks. Did you get your bike tuned? How does it run without a tune? I'm wondering if I should install them myself this weekend or wait to do it with the tune in 2 weeks.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:07 PM
BobCat2
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emdx3
My V&H slip ons were just delivered. The first appointment I could get for a tune is in 2 weeks. Did you get your bike tuned? How does it run without a tune? I'm wondering if I should install them myself this weekend or wait to do it with the tune in 2 weeks.
So what was your decision? Did you install them?
It runs with slip-ons the same as with oem muffles but with much better sound. But I really hate that loud booms when closing throttle. They can be solved by tuning. Anyway it should be interesting to spend a couple of hours and beers and make something good for your bike ) There is a useful video on youtube that shows the V&H installation.
I'm waiting for SE air cleaner and then going to tune my bike and remove catalyst. I hope this will add smoothness in low range.

Last edited by BobCat2; 06-03-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 PM
emdx3
Advanced

So what was your decision? Did you install them?
It runs with slip-ons the same as with oem muffles but with much better sound. But I really hate that loud booms when closing throttle. They can be solved by tuning. Anyway it should be interesting to spend a couple of hours and beers and make something good for your bike ) There is a useful video on youtube that shows the V&H installation.
I'm waiting for SE air cleaner and then going to tune my bike and remove catalyst. I hope this will add smoothness in low range.
No I decided to just wait till I can get it tuned at the same time, which is next Monday. I should also have my new Saddlemen seat by that time. I'll post more pics/videos then!

Quick Reply: 2018 Fat Bob with HD/Blackmill aftermarket mods - reviews, lessons, and more to come