Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike fell off jackstand

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Yes it would, but it could be done. If it can wait for another body or two it should. But I've done scarier things by myself. Used to hang drywall. Sometimes without scaffold all we had was a bucket and a coke bottle... I'm kidding about the bottle, but not the bucket. Necessity is the mother of invention.

If that's a garage the bike is in, and if the ceiling isn't finished you could rig up a come-along from the trusses and hoist it up that way too, an inch of so at a time. There's usually more than one way to skin the cat. Just need to give it some thought and pick the safest way you can think of. That just might be waiting for help.

Last edited by iHodor; 06-16-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
shet go to HF and buy a real bike lift
Why supplement a cheap jack with a cheap table lift? If you bought quality in the first place there wouldn't be this kind of problem. $600 to 800 for a lift for a $8000 to whatever you value your bike isn't much. It sure beats building one on the floor or milk crates.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrsmr303
Alright alright pics below
I see how this happened, take apart the front end and assemble one fork tube to tripple tree at a time. Try to get frame off the ground and on a couple of pieces of 2x4s one side at a time by leaning it side to side until it about 6 to 8" off the ground then put the wheel back on.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 AM
ratfinkharley
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Gonna need a CH-47 chinook but first the garage needs to come down. So a Case 580N EP should do the job.

No need to over engineer the solution. Two guys to lift and one to slide a jack underneath is alll you need.

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (04-05-2020)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

.Not to run this into the ground. But it looks way too EZ to solve!
Next, if you are going to work on your bike (and I hope all do)
Buy a decent lift!
Busting your body is pretty expensive, busting the bike is dam frustrating..
Plus when you turn 60 years old you will be able to enjoy life better if you don't ruin your self now

Pichilingo (04-05-2020)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

First off to the OP; don't beat yourself up.
We've all done things that in hindsight we would have done differently.

The good thing here is it appears the bike isn't damaged much if at all and nobody was hurt.
Life is all about learning and I think you've learned something from this so that's a positive.

Originally Posted by lonesum
Why supplement a cheap jack with a cheap table lift? If you bought quality in the first place there wouldn't be this kind of problem. $600 to 800 for a lift for a $8000 to whatever you value your bike isn't much. It sure beats building one on the floor or milk crates.
First; a lift is not going to get the front end up off the ground which is what the OP needed; a jack would still be required.
Second; not everyone has the room for a lift.
Third; not everyone has a need for a lift.
Fourth; Unless I missed it I don't think the OP stated how this happened but it appears the reason it fell off the jack has nothing to do with the jack's quality.

Making some assumptions here; the reason this happened is the jack was placed near the bike's center of gravity and the bike lifted up.
Then the OP took the front wheel/forks off which changed the center of gravity and the bike tipped backwards onto it's rear wheel and then the bike fell off the jack.

I bet this still probably would have happened even if the OP was using a $550 JS Jack; the quality of the jack had nothing to do with why the bike fell off.
If the bike had been strapped down it's very likely the bike still would tipped onto it's rear tire but it's unlikely it would have fell over.

So the best advice here is not "spend more money on a jack" but rather always strapped the bike down while on the jack and if taking any weight off the front or the rear of the bike always support either the front or rear tire so that the bike will not tip when the center of gravity changes.

In the picture below a fellow forum member is using a JS Jack but that's not why their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire and then fall over.
The reason their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire was they supported the rear tire so when the center or gravity changed the bike didn't tip onto the rear tire. (they still should have strapped it down though).

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
First off to the OP; don't beat yourself up.
We've all done things that in hindsight we would have done differently.

The good thing here is it appears the bike isn't damaged much if at all and nobody was hurt.
Life is all about learning and I think you've learned something from this so that's a positive.

First; a lift is not going to get the front end up off the ground which is what the OP needed; a jack would still be required.
Second; not everyone has the room for a lift.
Third; not everyone has a need for a lift.
Fourth; Unless I missed it I don't think the OP stated how this happened but it appears the reason it fell off the jack has nothing to do with the jack's quality.

Making some assumptions here; the reason this happened is the jack was placed near the bike's center of gravity and the bike lifted up.
Then the OP took the front wheel/forks off which changed the center of gravity and the bike tipped backwards onto it's rear wheel and then the bike fell off the jack.

I bet this still probably would have happened even if the OP was using a $550 JS Jack; the quality of the jack had nothing to do with why the bike fell off.
If the bike had been strapped down it's very likely the bike still would tipped onto it's rear tire but it's unlikely it would have fell over.

So the best advice here is not "spend more money on a jack" but rather always strapped the bike down while on the jack and if taking any weight off the front or the rear of the bike always support either the front or rear tire so that the bike will not tip when the center of gravity changes.

In the picture below a fellow forum member is using a JS Jack but that's not why their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire and then fall over.
The reason their bike didn't tip onto it's rear tire was they supported the rear tire so when the center or gravity changed the bike didn't tip onto the rear tire. (they still should have strapped it down though).

A good table lift has dropouts for the front and rear to do work like this.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:16 AM
nvrsmr303
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again to all for the insight. Ended up going the engine hoist route. The reason this happened was a combination of things, jack didn’t fit under bike to begin with so used bottle jack and HF motorcycle jack then shifting weight when pulling forks out caused to fall over. As someone mentioned valuable lesson and pretty lucky considering. Bike is back on solid ground and taking out for ride this afternoon

ROCKOUT Rocker Products (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky357
A good table lift has dropouts for the front and rear to do work like this.

I suppose you're right.

If you know where one of these lifts that has that option can be purchased for $600-800 like "lonesum" mentioned please let us know.
I might be convinced to purchased one at that price.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I already stated way back in this thread-
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...f&q=motorcycle

Quick Reply: Bike fell off jackstand