Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Fat Bob Breathers Known Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:35 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Fyi, my 114 does not do that, still clean.

The following 2 users liked this post by blackSP:
Bowhunter8607 (07-16-2018), mtippett (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

One of the first mods I did on my Fat Bob (any bike I own) is to reroute the breathers from putting oil in the engine.

Take the breather plate off, drill a hole and run some tubing out the back.

The following users liked this post:
Bowhunter8607 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
One of the first mods I did on my Fat Bob (any bike I own) is to reroute the breathers from putting oil in the engine.

Take the breather plate off, drill a hole and run some tubing out the back.
This .

Bowhunter8607 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I just wanted to share this with everyone here so others can be aware of this issue. I have been reporting on the "Everything Fat Bob" thread about having oil puking out of my air cleaner. After the 1000 mile service and adjusting the oil level to a few dots below the full line, I still had oil coming out of the air cleaner. I took it back in yesterday to have it checked out and the dealer had already ordered a new gasket set thinking it was a gasket for some reason, even though there was no leaking out of any gaskets and I told them I suspected the breathers were bad based on where the oil was leaking out and suggestions on the Fat Bob thread.

Well after doing whatever they did yesterday it still had oil coming out of the air cleaner. The tech called tech services/assistance and apparently was told that this is a known issue with the breathers not working properly and they have an updated breather to fix this issue. They had to order the updated breathers and now it's just a waiting game for them to come in. I will just have to deal with the oil puking until they get the breathers installed. I hope this helps anyone else who experiences this but it seems like I am the only one on the forums who has experienced this problem so far as everyone has said they have no oil dripping out of their air cleaners.

On a side note about other issues I have had.... Still nothing on the front tire hop/shake and the grinding noise I was hearing was an improperly adjusted belt. Also according to tech services, there is a second belt adjustment that the tech didn't know about and when he did the "normal" adjustment it caused the grinding noise I was experiencing. Kinda makes you lose faith in the techs when they don't read the manual enough to get all the details on the work they are supposed to be doing. I am afraid of voiding my warranty by doing my own work on the bike to avoid having these jokers touching it and don't want to void it and end up having major issues later down the road that will not be covered.

Oh well. I guess if they mess anything up they will be responsible for it, though I would rather not have anything messed up due to laziness or lack of knowledge of the new M8 Softails and not actually reading the manual to get every detail on what needs to be done and how. It seem's like these guys think they already know it all and nothing has changed on the new bikes so they don't have to read the manuals to get further details. God I hate having to take my bike to the dealer for anything!
Is this a known issue with all 2018 Softails, or only with 2018 Fat Bob's ?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:42 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Would be nice to know the difference between the updated breathers and the originals

Old 07-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Is this a known issue with all 2018 Softails, or only with 2018 Fat Bob's ?
My apologies as I only got the information about my Fat Bob so I couldn't say whether it is a Softail-wide problem or if it has only affected the Fat Bobs. I wold imagine it is an issue with the M8 engines themselves regardless of the bike they are installed on but I can't say for sure.

Originally Posted by martin10
Would be nice to know the difference between the updated breathers and the originals
That is something I have been wondering as well. I will ask what the difference is when they call me to take the bike back in when the parts arrive. The rear breather assembly is on back order until the 27th so it will be a bit before it goes under the knife.

I finally broke out the old camera and took a couple pics of the oil dripping out of the air cleaner. It isn't coming out from the element itself but from behind the element between it and the back plate. Sorry for the crappy pics the camera is quite old now but it still does the job OK.

This is on a "light" day Haha. Typically the oil is all over the side shown here as well as towards the front of the engine as well.

The oil pools up here at the base of the pushrod tubes and is dispersed from there.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 07-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I just wanted to share this with everyone here so others can be aware of this issue. I have been reporting on the "Everything Fat Bob" thread about having oil puking out of my air cleaner. After the 1000 mile service and adjusting the oil level to a few dots below the full line, I still had oil coming out of the air cleaner. I took it back in yesterday to have it checked out and the dealer had already ordered a new gasket set thinking it was a gasket for some reason, even though there was no leaking out of any gaskets and I told them I suspected the breathers were bad based on where the oil was leaking out and suggestions on the Fat Bob thread.

Well after doing whatever they did yesterday it still had oil coming out of the air cleaner. The tech called tech services/assistance and apparently was told that this is a known issue with the breathers not working properly and they have an updated breather to fix this issue. They had to order the updated breathers and now it's just a waiting game for them to come in. I will just have to deal with the oil puking until they get the breathers installed. I hope this helps anyone else who experiences this but it seems like I am the only one on the forums who has experienced this problem so far as everyone has said they have no oil dripping out of their air cleaners.

On a side note about other issues I have had.... Still nothing on the front tire hop/shake and the grinding noise I was hearing was an improperly adjusted belt. Also according to tech services, there is a second belt adjustment that the tech didn't know about and when he did the "normal" adjustment it caused the grinding noise I was experiencing. Kinda makes you lose faith in the techs when they don't read the manual enough to get all the details on the work they are supposed to be doing. I am afraid of voiding my warranty by doing my own work on the bike to avoid having these jokers touching it and don't want to void it and end up having major issues later down the road that will not be covered.

Oh well. I guess if they mess anything up they will be responsible for it, though I would rather not have anything messed up due to laziness or lack of knowledge of the new M8 Softails and not actually reading the manual to get every detail on what needs to be done and how. It seem's like these guys think they already know it all and nothing has changed on the new bikes so they don't have to read the manuals to get further details. God I hate having to take my bike to the dealer for anything!
This isn't just a Softail issue. I've had the same issue on a 2017 & 2018 Limited. I was with wondering when they'd come out with update breather valves. Looking forward to watching this thread in hopes it works out for you....and me too!

Bowhunter8607 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

An External Breather System (EBS) will help your engine last longer, produce more power and stay in tune. Read full Report on them HERE.

Without one, this is the crap going thru your throttle body and into the engine. Not good.

There are several, ready made kits, that will work with the factory Air Cleaner on the M8's HERE. And at the same link there are a lot more that will work with various aftermarket air cleaners.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Bowhunter8607 (07-18-2018), SCarty (11-24-2022)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
An External Breather System (EBS) will help your engine last longer, produce more power and stay in tune. Read full Report on them HERE.

Without one, this is the crap going thru your throttle body and into the engine. Not good.

There are several, ready made kits, that will work with the factory Air Cleaner on the M8's HERE. And at the same link there are a lot more that will work with various aftermarket air cleaners.

Thank you for the great advice. I have used your DIY external breather kit on the Sportster 48 I used to have. I plan on switching to an external breather set up soon I just need to get information to familiarize myself with the air cleaner on this bike and I don't have a service manual yet. You wouldn't happen to have any links to any diagrams of the air cleaner on the 114 M8 engines to help with this?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Thank you for the great advice. I have used your DIY external breather kit on the Sportster 48 I used to have. I plan on switching to an external breather set up soon I just need to get information to familiarize myself with the air cleaner on this bike and I don't have a service manual yet. You wouldn't happen to have any links to any diagrams of the air cleaner on the 114 M8 engines to help with this?

Here are a couple of links to diagrams-

https://partstream.arinet.com/Image?arik=pCXKtFUlDhiMHWyaeVmY&arib=HDM&arim=c_DB lcD2M5Td7T9GEZcK4w2&aria=ZM3O15BDBXUSjHyurmTtdA2&a riz=1&ariv=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.outpostalaska.com%2F oempartfinder.htm

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/oempa...R_-_FLFB,_FLSB,

Either one of these two EBS's will work with that A/C-

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/twin...-dk-tc-brt.htm

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/exte...-tc-brt-cc.htm

edited-

I see the links to the diagrams are not working.

if you go to this link and click Harley, and then to the year and model, and then to the air cleaner, you will see a diagram.

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/oempartfinder.htm

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-18-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Bowhunter8607 (07-18-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Fat Bob Breathers Known Problem