Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid down my 2018 breakout 114

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Decker72
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Sucks that you went down, but glad you're not hurt. Look into taking some beginner riding courses and work your way up from there.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Juice114
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I致e been through the basic rider course already. I have my endorsement. My HD dealership offers another familiarization course I致e considered taking. I was about a mile into the ride in about 70 degree weather. Roughly 200 miles on the tires.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Tires not broken in and scuffed and road condition.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Glad your ok. Going down suxs. Did you go look at the road where the tire washed out. Could of been oil or diesel fuel. That stuffs slicker than snot. Buy the ride like a pro video and retake the basic riders course. A different teacher can make it a lot more clear. Good luck fixing up the bike.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

Glad you are ok.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Welcome. What did you do wrong? Simple. Too fast for conditions (which includes rider inexperience). What was the speed limit in that curve? My guess is it was a good bit lower than 50 mph. And even if not, since you say you don't know whether or not there was gravel in the curve, you were definitely going too fast. Since you also say you are a novice rider, my suggestion is you take care not to exceed the speed limit (especially in curves) until you have built up the necessary skills to do so with confidence. If you're not sure you can make it through a curve without crashing, SLOW DOWN!

The following users liked this post:
bmedeiros678 (10-24-2021)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Welcome to the Forum lots of great info here enjoy and learn from Stuart Fl. Ride a Lot Ride Safe. So glad to here your ok and the bike made out find. These thing happen just learn were your mistakes are in riding and slow down a bit until you get use to the motorcycle.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:15 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

As a beginner you will have quite a learning curve to master a breakout. As a nearly 50 years of experience rider on everything from dirt bikes to ultras, I bought a breakout for a fun bike. For me, the learning curve was huge. 1st, with the 240 rear tire it takes considerable force to roll over into a curve but once there it is truly a sweet ride. 2nd, for me, the stock drag bars suck. I am short enough that the riding position made it even more difficult to lean over into a curve. Before i bought I test rode a new 2016 standard FXSB and wasn't even interested, then I test rode a 2014 FXSBSE and the bars made a big difference. The bars are more similar to the ones on a deluxe, big improvement. After 3 months of searching I found a 2014 FXSBSE with 800 miles, purchased and traveled 1100 miles to pick up. Love the bike now after 8K miles and the 1100 mile ride home sure helped with the skills this bike takes (500 of those miles were in the northern California mountains). Hope you get it sorted out.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice114
I知 new to riding. I was going through a slight curve at about 50mph. Back tire went into a skid and came out from under me. ... Question is, what did I do wrong?
Assuming it was not a freak situation of being on an extreamly slick patch of road from oil or loose gravel and no matter how new the tires are, since you asked, I would suspect you deffinately did something wrong.

Riding at 50 MPH and entering a slight curve would mean to me that you should have been looking well ahead and applying a gentle amount of counter steering and no clutch or brake would have been needed.

So annalizing the circumstances, what did you actually do? 1. Were you entering the curve too hot and got on the brakes hard and lost it? 2. Or, were you looking down in front of the front tire and tried to steer (by turning the bars) and not counter steering? 3. Maybe for some reason you engaged the clutch losing power to the rear wheel? 4. Possibly just not paying attention?

Any of the above senerios could have caused the rear tire to slide out from under you. You learn early in the riders courses that the bike will almost always try to right itself if the rider does not do something to force the bike to go down. You are the best one to answer your own question.

Maybe you can think about it and report back. It could be helpfull to other newbes.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

You had 1 mile on the bike prior to low-side? Tires need to “warm up”. They were hard and slick. Proper pressure?

Quick Reply: Laid down my 2018 breakout 114