Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating My Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:44 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's anything up there like it is about 200 miles south of you, the wind would just blow that ceramic coating right off!

Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I wanted to get the bike back together and outside this weekend.

Yesterday morning was cloudy and windy...afternoon started pouring rain and getting cold, along with winds gusting up to 50 mph.

I spent some time in the shop putting it back together. Got the tank console on, the seats, back rests, luggage rack and fender struts secured...

...this photo shows just a little of what it looks like in person. The bottom of the fender looks like it is wet. It is not. That is the sheen that the coating gives. Anyways...

...all I have left to do are the saddlebags and front fender. I stopped because it was getting even colder, starting to snow (which is not that common in Mississippi) and I've decided to re-route my Run-Brake-Turn LED wires. It is going to take a bit more time than I wanted to spend yesterday evening.

Today our high was 31* and it's dropping back down to 22* tonight. Will get it done next week sometime.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-21-2019, 08:46 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

To do a proper Ceramic coating the paint has to be prepped. That is called "Paint Correction. This gets rid of micro swirls and tiny scratches n the paint. Ceramic coatings that are applied by the consumer are not as good and not as durable as the ones that are applied by professional shops, like Croftgate, etc. These consumer grade coatings like F11 Top coat, typically only last a few months and need to periodically reapplied. I had my 2016 Mustang Gt Premium in Ruby red with custom paint done by a Croftgate professional using Croftgate Assurance Ceramic coating. It is guaranteed for at least three years, It cost me approx $850. The paint literally glows in the sun. I have not washed it since the end of August and has since won first in its class and the areas annual Mustang and Ford show. My H-D Breakout is getting done in the Spring by the same shop, Venomous works in Yorktown, Virginia.

Last edited by DrPlastic; 01-21-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
To do a proper Ceramic coating the paint has to be prepped. That is called "Paint Correction. This gets rid of micro swirls and tiny scratches n the paint. Ceramic coatings that are applied by the consumer are not as good and not as durable as the ones that are applied by professional shops, like Croftgate, etc. These consumer grade coatings like F11 Top coat, typically only last a few months and need to periodically reapplied. I had my 2016 Mustang Gt Premium in Ruby red with custom paint done by a Croftgate professional using Croftgate Assurance Ceramic coating. It is guaranteed for at least three years, It cost me approx $850. The paint literally glows in the sun. I have not washed it since the end of August and has since won first in its class and the areas annual Mustang and Ford show. My H-D Breakout is getting done in the Spring by the same shop, Venomous works in Yorktown, Virginia.

Your car looks amazing!

When you say you have not washed it...have you rinsed it off? Used a detailing or any other kind of spray with microfiber?

Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Your car looks amazing!

When you say you have not washed it...have you rinsed it off? Used a detailing or any other kind of spray with microfiber?
I have not washed it in the traditional sense. I have rinsed it off after using Croftgate Aquanil and a microfiber towel. It is garage kept along with my Harley and is not a daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I have not washed it in the traditional sense. I have rinsed it off after using Croftgate Aquanil and a microfiber towel. It is garage kept along with my Harley and is not a daily driver.
Thanks!

Still have not gotten my bike outside. It's either been warmish (40-50) and raining, or in the 20's and 30's.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Yesterday was finally a day with sunshine that was not below freezing temps!

In fact, it was 65 and sunny yesterday. Finished putting everything together and went for a 3 hour putt.

Took a few photo's before leaving out...

...not too good with picture taking, was trying to capture the glassy look the paint has...

...there is no wax, just the paint, the clear and the ceramic coating. It is a very glassy look and it feels like slick glass when you touch it. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

These photos are after a couple hundred miles riding. Went thru dusty construction area, bugs that ended up splattered all over the windshield, but none stuck to the tins.

In this last photo you can see the glassy reflection in the tank still. Previously there would have been bugs stuck there.

Over time I will update this thread with pics and thoughts on how the coating is holding up, Got a few trips planned with it this year (besides daily riding), so it's going to see some miles.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
hattitude (02-03-2019), Odd986 (02-03-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Been riding it a bit since the ceramic coat was finished. Yesterday was the first day I rode it in the rain with the ceramic.

Here are a couple of pics of what it looked like when I got home-

Water is beading up nicely-

The following users liked this post:
DrPlastic (03-01-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

So, you're saying bugs and bug guts don't stick to it?

Looking for some place here to have it done. I have a couple of very small scratches (thank you dealer) that need to be buffed out first and I ain't trying it. I know I'd screw up the paint. LOL

Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

So, you're saying bugs and bug guts don't stick to it?
Not only that but put the coating on your wheels and they will only need shampoo and water to get the brake dust off.

The stuff totally seals the paint so there isn't a place for dirt to stick. Well that's my story anyway.

Ceramic coatings contain silicon dioxide SiO2. So you are applying liquid glass. Most times after applying you wait for it to flash or haze and then buff with a cloth to level it and remove excess.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 03-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating My Paint