Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating My Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating My Paint

I've been wanting to do this for a while.

We did Marys' F150 back in August and the results have been as good as advertised, which is to say, pretty amazing.

There is a fair amount of prep before the ceramic coating can be applied.

Gotta pull off as much as possible to get to the paint. Started-

Both saddle bags removed, passenger seat, rear luggage rack and both back rests removed.

Ack, it is horribly dirty!

Removed the front fender.

Time to wash it. Ideally I would remove the rear fender and the tank. But I don't want to do it that badly. lol

All done with the initial prep, which is removing all dirt....everything, and all wax, taking it down to the clear coat.

Next step, (which will be one evening this next week, or next weekend) is to use the McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish. For that step I will remove the tank console and the riders seat. The Prep Polish makes sure there is absolutely nothing on top of the clear coat, and gives it as bright a shine as possible.

This will probably take an hour or two, I already did a pretty good initial prep today. After the Prep Polish it is probably only 30 minutes or so to apply the actual Ceramic Coating. After the coating is done, bike needs to sit for a few days to let the ceramic harden

Pretty stoked to finally be doing this. Looking forward to having a glass like finish!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts
Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

What is the long term outlook of this coating? When it wears off, does it require reapplication to look good? You’re bike looked pretty good (once washed lol) once this wears, how does it look. I.e. I’ve seen some coatings over the years that look great for a while, but when they begin to wear off they get splotches and look like hell, and have to be completely stripped off before reapplying. What is the name of the product you’re using? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 AM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Curious to see what it does for dark paint and light scratches. I have been looking at a few different brands and only a few “claim” to fill in the scratches.

The video on the site shows him working on a what looks like a new black truck. What about one that has been on the road for for a few years?

Look forward to reading about the results.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mchad
What is the long term outlook of this coating? When it wears off, does it require reapplication to look good? You’re bike looked pretty good (once washed lol) once this wears, how does it look. I.e. I’ve seen some coatings over the years that look great for a while, but when they begin to wear off they get splotches and look like hell, and have to be completely stripped off before reapplying. What is the name of the product you’re using? Thanks.
Most say 2-3 years is expected life of the hydrophobic quality. My understanding is that is can be polished and another coat applied. I am using the McKee's 37 coating.

It is my understanding is that how it is washed is different. Just a hose and a microfiber cloth. When run thru a car wash, it can create the splotches.

This is a new thing for me, so I have no experience on what it looks like longer term. What we applied to Marys' truck is about 6 months old and still looks like new.

Originally Posted by tripwire759
Curious to see what it does for dark paint and light scratches. I have been looking at a few different brands and only a few “claim” to fill in the scratches.

The video on the site shows him working on a what looks like a new black truck. What about one that has been on the road for for a few years?

Look forward to reading about the results.
My understanding is that it only gives a hard shell to what is there...so if scratches are there, they will still be there, under the hard shell. More than anything else, the better the preparation, the better the end result.

From what I have seen, dark colors (that are well prepared) yield the most stunning results.

In a few years I will know my experience with it. My expectation is that every 2-3 years it will need a deep cleaning/polish (not stripping) and another application.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Be careful with polishing, when you polish you remove some clear coat. Most times all that is needed is the coating prep (which granted is a very mild polish) and then coat again

Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to eventually do this to mine.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Be careful with polishing, when you polish you remove some clear coat. Most times all that is needed is the coating prep (which granted is a very mild polish) and then coat again
Thank you! Looking forward to it last 2-3 years before I need to do anything to it.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
I want to eventually do this to mine.

I've been wanting to also. Not seen/heard of anyone doing it with their HD yet. But with the good experience we've had with Mary's truck, I'm taking the leap.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Look forward to your impressions and more pics......

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating My Paint