Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating My Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a problem cleaning a little paint, but will it stick to chrome? If so then I'm all in!

Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

So how do you wash it? I'm interested.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:12 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I would seriously leave this to a professional shop to do.
The paint requires full correction before you apply the ceramic coat otherwise your basically just doing a very expensive wash and wax.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

This youtube video is pretty informative, comparing Coating and Waxing.

The following 3 users liked this post by S.D.M.F:
AE Fatboy (03-25-2019), Bestrafen (01-11-2019), Pete3323 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by tryus
I don't have a problem cleaning a little paint, but will it stick to chrome? If so then I'm all in!
Don't know how it will do on chrome. Gonna do a small spot on the engine, a non heated spot, and exhaust. Will see how the 3 different spots hold up.

Originally Posted by Jaystn62
So how do you wash it? I'm interested.
Hose it off and dry with microfiber...or if more than dust, gently wash with ph neutral soap, rinse dry with microfiber or blower.

Originally Posted by donk_316
I would seriously leave this to a professional shop to do.
The paint requires full correction before you apply the ceramic coat otherwise your basically just doing a very expensive wash and wax.
Not too expensive in $. Got enough prep and nano coating to do truck and 3 bikes for less than $40. Work is where it is intensive...but if it lasts 2 years will be worth it to me.

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
This youtube video is pretty informative, comparing Coating and Waxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MmQhNwqxk
That makes sense!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-09-2019, 12:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

A couple of people asked for pics of the truck with the ceramic coat....

I don't know how those folks take photo's showing the wet glass look...the one below shows it, just on the rear panel in the photo, but the entire truck looks like that, just had a hard time capturing it with my phone camera.

This truck has been "washed" once in the last 6 months (12,000 miles). The washing consisted of hosing it down and then wiping it with a micro fiber. That was about 1,000 miles before this photo was taken.

In addition it was hosed off about 10,000 miles ago, but not even wiped down after that.

It has been some pretty amazing stuff so far. This truck get driven in some dirty nasty conditions, and since the ceramic coat has never had any soap or cleaner on it.

If I get a fraction of this benefit on the bikes, I will be very pleased.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

All these pics are inside, under florescent lighting, so they don't look so great. In a few days I will get it out in the sunshine (raining today) and see how it turned out.

First thing I did was pull the console-

Before the ceramic coating goes on, need to do the prep polish. That went pretty quickly, got all three pieces done in about 1 hour. I used the McKee's 37 prep polish which is supposed to get all material off the clear to give the ceramic coating a good surface to stick to.

If I was going full bore, for the best possible end result, I would have buffed out all the micro scratches in the clear that have accumulated over the last 6 years. I did not do that. Simply got the big stuff cleaned up and then the surface prepped.

Here's the tank prepped, but not coated yet.

Here's the front fender coated...until it dries/cures and I get it in the sunlight, not really possible to tell how it turned out. Probably will be a week before I get the fender back on the bike.

After the front fender, I did the tank and the rear fender...about an hour to do all the coating.

After getting all the paint done, I did 4 test spots-

1. A little section of the front wheel, right next to the valve stem-

2. I did the entire Air Cleaner Cover, it is polished aluminum. Bad photo, but we'll see how it turns out after it cures and then goes thru some riding and washing.

3. I did a small section, down low on the primary. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to the heat.

4. I did a small section of heat-shield on the end of the rear header. Highly doubt that it will hold up under the heat. We'll see.

This is the bottle of coating I used. It is still half full after the F150 (8 foot bed) and the Softail.

Later this week I am gong to get some sunlight on the Softail....I'm hoping it will be as glassy looking as the truck.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Check out https://www.autogeek.net/ They carry all kinds of detailing products in varies brands including McKee's. Ceramic coating is suppose to be the newest, longest lasting paint protection.

Last edited by gtrb; 01-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM
106oldtimer
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What time

Originally Posted by gtrb
Check out https://www.autogeek.net/ They carry all kinds of detailing products in varies brands including McKee's. Ceramic coating is suppose to be the newest, longest lasting paint protection.
can I show up with my Heritage and F250? I’ll let you do mine for me and I get to be the first 🤪
looking good for sure. Can’t wait to see it in the sun light.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by 106oldtimer

can I show up with my Heritage and F250? I’ll let you do mine for me and I get to be the first 🤪
looking good for sure. Can’t wait to see it in the sun light.

lol, I'll do your truck and Heritage if you'll do my Tri Glide and Sportster.

Yeah, I was going to get it out in the sun light this weekend....not gonna happen though.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating My Paint