Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pain in my back and between my shoulders

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 AM
moparbrian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pain in my back and between my shoulders

I have a 04 fatbot with stock handlebars and seat. I bought it lil over 4 weeks age. My friends tell me that it would go away after you get use to the bike, but I still get the pain after riding for about 30min. The longer I ride the more the pain increases. I have put about 800 miles on it and still get the pain.
So I am thinking about changing the bars to something like the T bars with a 8" rise. I have seen acouple of fatboys on here with them and it looks very nice.
Any Ideas on what I could try? Thank you in advance.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 AM
chop09
Tourer
Default RE: Pain in my back and between my shoulders

30 mins Ouch... Consider smaller type apes 10-12" risemight put you in a more comfortable postion. Then start hitting the gym. Not meaning to be a wise azz but both might help.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 AM
darkside
Banned

I was having the same problem with the stock bars on my bike.I was hunched over too far and reaching for the bars instead of them being in a more neutral position.After changing the bars and having some work done on the seat I can ride all day long with no problems.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chop 09 is correct look into minnie apes it will cure your problem. 10 inches would about do it and if you dont go too tall you may not have to replace your cables.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 AM
moparbrian
Novice

I think I will try a set of 10" apes then. The gym is not the problem I got the same pain riding my friends ninja. That is why I went with a HD I was also thinking of the pullback bars.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:45 AM
darkside
Banned

This may seem kinda weird but have a buddy(with a tape measure handy) stand in front of the bike while it's up off the kickstand.Now just make yourself comfortable.Raise and lower your hand positioning and get your body lined up comfortably(not slouching or reaching)When you get your hands at a neutral relaxed postion have your buddy take a rough measurement onheight and pullback.That should give you some direction on what's actually comfortable for your body.From those measurements you will have a better Idea what really is going to work for you.Then go looking for bars and risers to get you in your 'sweet' spot.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the only way to do it right. Guessing gets expensive...
If you can do it while the bike is upright (on a jack or lift) you will get better results. Did this with wifes Deluxe to figure out what bars fit her better.

ORIGINAL: darkside

This may seem kinda weird but have a buddy(with a tape measure handy) stand in front of the bike while it's up off the kickstand.Now just make yourself comfortable.Raise and lower your hand positioning and get your body lined up comfortably(not slouching or reaching)When you get your hands at a neutral relaxed postion have your buddy take a rough measurement onheight and pullback.That should give you some direction on what's actually comfortable for your body.From those measurements you will have a better Idea what really is going to work for you.Then go looking for bars and risers to get you in your 'sweet' spot.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:12 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always try adjusting the bars to a more comfortable fit.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I also had a nasty pain in my back between my shoulders. I then told my wife to stay off the back of my bike..... problem solved.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if you're one of the ones who have problems with this sort of 'burning' pain between your shoulders (I am too), apes would probably serve you well. Although, I think 10-12" may still be a little too short, and may not entirely eliminate the pain you've got going on. Best thing to do is like Darkside said, measure.

Quick Reply: Pain in my back and between my shoulders