Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I alter my Heritage to use bungee cords.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:37 AM
I Zoom
Novice
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How can I alter my Heritage to use bungee cords.

Hi gang! I have a '17 Heritage Softail Classic. I don't have the pillion and backrest on my bike but a back fender rack. The rack seems pretty useless at the time because I have nothing to latch a bungee cord to. I want my husband to put in something like a spacer to hook bungee cords between the saddle bag and fender where the bolt goes to hold saddle bags on. I hope I am making sense. I want it to look good, not just rigged up and looking nasty. Has anyone done this successfully?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Try one of the "nets" that have six hooks. The smaller one will probably be just what you need.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM
I Zoom
Novice

I have nets and bungee cords, there is nothing on my bike to hook to. That is my issue. The saddle bags are snug against the fender and the fender rack I have is long and you can't hook to it without the hooks moving around.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by I Zoom
Hi gang! I have a '17 Heritage Softail Classic. I don't have the pillion and backrest on my bike but a back fender rack. The rack seems pretty useless at the time because I have nothing to latch a bungee cord to. I want my husband to put in something like a spacer to hook bungee cords between the saddle bag and fender where the bolt goes to hold saddle bags on. I hope I am making sense. I want it to look good, not just rigged up and looking nasty. Has anyone done this successfully?

Yes, on my Softail Deluxe I have quick disconnects for both a passenger backrest and the saddlebags. The spacers which hold the brackets certainly create a gap and anchor point to which bungees can be connected.

Terrible photo, but you might be able to see the posts with the saddlebags removed.

The following users liked this post:
I Zoom (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:18 AM
I Zoom
Novice

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Yes, on my Softail Deluxe I have quick disconnects for both a passenger backrest and the saddlebags. The spacers which hold the brackets certainly create a gap and anchor point to which bungees can be connected.
Thanks sailmotion, I can see what you are talking about. That is an option but a bit costly just to be able to carry something on my bike when I won't really use the quick release things for the most part. This is frustrating, I may have to do it if we can't find an easier way.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:36 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by I Zoom
Thanks sailmotion, I can see what you are talking about. That is an option but a bit costly just to be able to carry something on my bike when I won't really use the quick release things for the most part. This is frustrating, I may have to do it if we can't find an easier way.
I have quick releases on my 13 Heritage for the backrest, they leave a nice little gap.
You may want to shop around for some spacers with compatable hardware I think it would be cheaper than buying the kit.

I Zoom (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I would HIGHLY recommend ROKStraps instead of bungee cords. I use them, and have been so glad. Adjustable, more secure, no scraping of the paint.

Also,you could always add the removable sissy bar bolts, and not put it on. These would give you excellent mount points for straps. (I know because other than the luggage rack I have, this is the place I mount the straps to.)

The following 2 users liked this post by Will Belden:
I Zoom (08-29-2019), IronAss (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same setup on my 16 HSC and use bungee cords on it all the time. You just have to be careful they don't touch the paint when your using them. The rack is pretty stable but I wouldn't put anything really heavy on it.

I Zoom (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:47 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Hook the cords to the rack like everyone else does

Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

+1 on the Rok straps. That is about all I use now. Not only zero issues with paint or chrome damage but much more versatile and secure. They are also easier to release. Well worth the cost in my opinion. I use them to secure a case of beer on my P pad and would never trust bungees to hold it.

I Zoom (08-30-2019)

Quick Reply: How can I alter my Heritage to use bungee cords.