Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION/saddlebag guards 2006 FLSTN

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 PM
gun smoke
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default QUESTION/saddlebag guards 2006 FLSTN

Looking to get saddlebag guards for 2006 FLSTN they want about $200.00 on most HD sites,seen some on ebay but would prefer new,is there others that would fit mine,I was reading something on the heritage that maybe would fit but I don't want to customize anything.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:44 AM
Chris2fur
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Okay, so I went through a lot of trouble sorting this out for myself. The HD ones designed for the Deluxe models of that vintage are discontinued, although some dealers may have a set on the shelf. I bought the OE ones and did not like them. Very squared off, and very high. I wanted rear guards that, in conjunction with the front engine guard, would keep my fishtail pipes from contacting the ground, should it tip. I was able to find some that I liked, that were affordable, and that required minimal adaptation. If this link works to a previous post of mine, you'll see multiple pics and also have a link to the guards on eBay: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post18376130

Old 10-02-2019, 11:32 PM
gun smoke
Cruiser
Default Softail Deluxe Rear Saddlebag Guards 06 FLSTN

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out,I been googling for hours & hours and still can't figure what I need to buy.I went to the link you gave me and it said this part is not compatible with 2006 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe FLSTN.If anyone knows what I need can you please put the link in here.
2006 FLSTN DELUXE

Old 10-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Chris2fur
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gun smoke
Thanks for trying to help me figure this out,I been googling for hours & hours and still can't figure what I need to buy.I went to the link you gave me and it said this part is not compatible with 2006 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe FLSTN.If anyone knows what I need can you please put the link in here.
2006 FLSTN DELUXE

That's what I'm telling you--it fits despite what they say. Read the post I linked to and look at the pics. Your 2006 is not going to be any different than my 2005. You will need the spacer on the left side. I was able to find some chrome spacers that would work at Home Depot and Ace but they were not as wide (outside diameter) as what I wanted. I found a source for stainless spacers that measure 3/8" ID x 1" OD x 3/8" Thick: https://www.extsw.com/collections/3-...-free-shipping

Other than the spacer, you may need some longer 3/8" foot peg bolts and 2 chrome (or not) nylock nuts.

The following users liked this post:
oldtoad (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:39 PM
oldtoad
Tourer

Received 231 Likes on 121 Posts

Those guards Chris2fur has are a tight fit with the single exhaust. I don't know about the fitment on gun smoke's dual pipes. Look where the rear pegs are mounted to the frame and where the guard drops lower below that area in his link to the other thread he provided. It drops quite a bit below the rear axle height in his left side pic and gun smoke's upper pipe runs right below the rear axle/rear peg height.

Last edited by oldtoad; 10-04-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Chris2fur
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldtoad
Those guards Chris2fur has are a tight fit with the single exhaust. I don't know about the fitment on gun smoke's dual pipes. Look where the rear pegs are mounted to the frame and where the guard drops lower below that area in his link to the other thread he provided. It drops quite a bit below the rear axle height in his left side pic and gun smoke's upper pipe runs right below the rear axle/rear peg height.
Yeah, good point on the exhaust differences. The lower pipe on his bike is at about the same height as the single exhaust on mine. That would put the guard right on top of that lower pipe, which is fine. Looks like the gap between the two pipes is a little tight and the lower part of the guard would have to go right though there to connect to the frame.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:39 AM
oldtoad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chris2fur
Yeah, good point on the exhaust differences. The lower pipe on his bike is at about the same height as the single exhaust on mine. That would put the guard right on top of that lower pipe, which is fine. Looks like the gap between the two pipes is a little tight and the lower part of the guard would have to go right though there to connect to the frame.
I'm thinkin' the guard is gonna connect right where that upper pipe is, not between the two. That's the thing with ordering online. I'm looking to get a set but I have my bags attached with a quarter inch thick adapter plate to raise the bags off my 2-1 Supertrapp exhaust. The adapter brings my bags about an inch up and an inch forward. I'm leaning towards getting a set since they're not too costly.

Last edited by oldtoad; 10-05-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 10-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Chris2fur
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldtoad
I'm thinkin' the guard is gonna connect right where that upper pipe is, not between the two. That's the thing with ordering online. I'm looking to get a set but I have my bags attached with a quarter inch thick adapter plate to raise the bags off my 2-1 Supertrapp exhaust. The adapter brings my bags about an inch up and an inch forward. I'm leaning towards getting a set since they're not too costly.
The bottom of the guard comes in low and then bends upward to meet the foot peg. Like a lot of things, it's hard to judge without actually having the part on hand.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:49 AM
oldtoad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chris2fur
The bottom of the guard comes in low and then bends upward to meet the foot peg. Like a lot of things, it's hard to judge without actually having the part on hand.
I know what you mean. You took some great pics and after looking them over real, real hard, I came to the conclusion that they should work on mine, but it will be a tight fit.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:30 AM
gun smoke
Cruiser
Thumbs up

I been going back and forth with this for a long time,I didn't want to spend over 200.00 for the ones that this bike calls for.I called around to over twenty Harley dealers some had them but wanted to much for because they said they don't stock them anymore,I checked ebay again and found a brand new pair and made an offer for 150.00.I just didn't want to roll the dice and take a chance on them not fitting.
Harley davidson 49261-00A chrome rear saddlebag guard genuine new,thank's to you guys you saved me a lot of leg work and want to thank you I just hope they fit now.Thank's Again

Quick Reply: QUESTION/saddlebag guards 2006 FLSTN