Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Heritage - The 07 Curse Continues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Heritage - The 07 Curse Continues

Just got my 2008 Heritage, yesterdayand to say I'mvery disappointed,is an under statement. 130 Miles on it and already back to the shopfor aterrible knocking noise (similar to rod knocking noise) and is coming from what sounds to be the primary housing near the compensator. The knock is very metallic and is present in all gears as well as neutral and is magnified with RPM's, with gears loaded or unloaded, makes no difference. The knock resonates thru the frame and echos thru the gas tank and causes heavypulsating feel in handle bars and foot boards. The heat coming from the engine/tranny isexcruciating, legs are burned already in just a few miles of riding.The 5th. gear chatters andis about the same as the 07model gear chatter, which never was an issue with me. It appears MOCO has made some chassis changes and threw in some eye candy, butthat is about it with the 08's. The bike still makes knocking/clattering noises uncharacteristic of what a bike should sound like, and if you want to tan those legs the 08's will do it for you. And as expected the dealers response, after test riding my bike(with a full helmet)is "I don't hear or feel anything", gee I wonder why? He says the engine noise is amplified thru the windshield and if I take off the windshield then I won't hear the noise. But when I ask him about what the windshield has to do with amplifying the noise when the bike is in neutral and setting still he got a little confused. In other words the 08's are just a continuationof the 07 issues! In my opinionthe noise and heat issues areworse than their predecessors. I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs! MOCO is headed from bad to worse with their junk!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Heritage - The 07 Curse Continues

I don't really notice the heat that much on my 07', maybe a little hotter than the 03' I had but not enough to complain about. Same way with the transmision, clunks like they always do but no unnatural noises to speak of.
I test rode a new Yamaha Roadliner back in the spring, now that bike put out some serious heat.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

The good thing about the knocking is it is getting worse with every mile I ride, road the bike several times today and each time the knock and vibration got worse , and now there is this high pitched squeal coming fromthe primary also, kinda like a loosealternator belt squealing. Bet this baby goes down pretty soon now. But I did my best to prevent furthering damage/sbytrying to tell the dealer something is wrong, but we all known their Jiffy Lube mechanics think they know it all, and said nothing is wrong, so let them eat it when it breaks. This also takes my mind off my 07 Ultra Clatter.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 732 Likes on 276 Posts

Because your having a problem with an 08 does not mean the entire apple crate is rotten. Your the first to report this kind of problem with an 08 that I have seen on two different sites. Everyone else is delighted so farwith there 08s. I have 1700 miles on mine in just a Month, its beenflawless. Nothing to bitch about...... I do not doubt you have a concern and sounds like a seriousproblem with this particular bike. But for pete sakes, the sky is not falling on all the 08s because you have a problem with one.

I wish someone would let me ride one of these ovens they talk about[sm=badbadbad.gif]..... My 08 is not an oven.........Interesting to say the least.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 732 Likes on 276 Posts

Hey I just had an idea....why don't you break that bitch in on the rev limiter and power shift that clutchLOL's...... Maybe then they will be able to find and islolate your problem.........

I am not laughing at you, I am trying to get you to laugh with me! At the end of the day, I am certain it will get repaired. I promise you though, my 08 is FLAWLESS Quite! And with the stock pipes you can here everything! But trust I believe you got a bike with a problem.

Keep us posted!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can say only 2 things.
First off I am sorry to hear of your troubles with the new 08 bike, BUT
It is under Warranty is it not?
I would ride that bitch till it came apart, then call dumb *** down at the dealer and tel him where he can pick it up.

Seriously, if they wont fix it/take it back RIDE Like its stolen....if it doesnt break, it will be one Bad *** motor.

I wish you luck my freind, Ride the Hell out of it.....[8D]

Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride it like someone else is paying for it and if it comes apart, you can say "I told you so" to the dealer.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Donnylee

Because your having a problem with an 08 does not mean the entire apple crate is rotten. Your the first to report this kind of problem with an 08 that I have seen on two different sites. Everyone else is delighted so farwith there 08s. I have 1700 miles on mine in just a Month, its beenflawless. Nothing to bitch about...... I do not doubt you have a concern and sounds like a seriousproblem with this particular bike. But for pete sakes, the sky is not falling on all the 08s because you have a problem with one.

I wish someone would let me ride one of these ovens they talk about[sm=badbadbad.gif]..... My 08 is not an oven.........Interesting to say the least.
First of all $20,000.00 + gives me the right to express my opinion about a product that at this point is substandard. Just because your bike is flawless (at this point in time) doesn't mean they all are flawless. Keep in mine that I'm NOT a Harley basher (since purchasing 4) in the last 2 years two of which have been great bikes, therefore I know if MOCO wants to they can build a quality bike. However, the last 2 bikes I have purchased from them havedemonstrated otherwise, and as you described, both have been ovens and both have had noises that are NOT typical of HD. A rod knocking sound coming from the primary is NOT typical for HD, and when a low life dealer, while lying thru his teeth, says he doesn't hear anything you know your getting the run-a-round. Also, riding a bike (at highway speeds mind you) and still getting my legs burned isn't much fun, and isn't right as well, after all they're sold as turn-key bikes, NOT suppose to have to buy a bunch of other stuff just so you can ride the thing. If MOCO has corrected their screw ups then fine, and I'm glad your scooter is fine, so far, but remember the MOCO screwed alot of 07 owners and one of being me! That said, I've still given them a second chance by buying another bike from them, at least the dealer can return the consideration.Maybe the 08's will be ok and maybe they won't, in either case I knowone 2008 Heritage that so far is showing me another MOCO screw-up, and that's one bike to many, I hope that changes.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 is an oven, that's my only complaint. Good luck with your Heritage.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you test ride the exact bike you bought before purchasing it? When I bought my 07 I made sure I got out for a nice ride to shake it down first. And I can say that my 07 has been a great bike. Hope the dealer ends up taking care of you.

Quick Reply: 2008 Heritage - The 07 Curse Continues