Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage fender tip wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 09:36 AM
Woodrow Miller
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heritage fender tip wiring help

So
picked up a 05 Heritage and previous owner got rid of wire for front light . Anyway I found it and it’s 70197-00 I believe. Dealer has one but it has a plug to the light at one end and 2 prongs at the other and behind the tank it looks like a connector is needed . Basically how do I hook up correctly. Thank u

Old 01-23-2024, 12:12 PM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

2005 Softail parts catalog. The lamp socket is factory hardwired. The wires are connected to the connector and plug in to the wire socket at the front of the tank on the left side. He may have cut the wires just inside the hole on the left side of the fender where they feed in.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:57 PM
Woodrow Miller
Advanced
Default Fender tip wiring help

So bought the wire from Harley and here are some
picks with what I got going on. Harley new plug plugs into new light but plug behind left side of tank seems wrong . I’m mechanical and can’t seem to make sense of this. Any help with what where or missing parts .

Old 01-26-2024, 02:46 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,258 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow Miller
That looks like it would plug into an existing connector on the bike. Probably one of the connectors in the lighting wiring. An oem wiring diagram would likely show you where.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:20 PM
Woodrow Miller
Advanced
Default Wiring help front fender light

I found this 2 wire plug not accounted for off the headlight harness . It’s a 2 wire with a female connector which means if I plug my wiring into the fender tip then wire it to this plug may work. Waiting for parts to come
back

from powder coated for front end so it’s apart but it’s a start. Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2024, 08:05 PM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 163 Posts

You are correct that the plug on the new part goes to the light. The wires on mine go to a plug connector and plug in to another at the front left side of the tank. I can’t find the connector in the book or a part number for it.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:59 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 464 Likes on 304 Posts

Well this ...

Looks like this

So you get another one of these connectors #73152‐96BK

Old 01-27-2024, 04:07 AM
Woodrow Miller
Advanced
Default Heritage front fender light help

There is know connectors behind my tank left or right side except the large one on left side not being used so if power comes off the 2 wire not being used off headlight that maybe my hook up. Seems if it comes off key switch to headlight may work. I’m gonna plug stuff in today just to test even though my parts aren’t back from powder coat yet and I’ll update later today. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:23 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,441 Likes on 4,036 Posts

I'm not an electrical guru, so I sometimes get lost with wiring issues. If you already figured this out, forgive me. I can only offer electrical advice if I present it from start to finish to keep it straight in my head..

Per the online parts finder, that OEM fender wire assembly (#70196-00) uses it's connector for the connection to the fender tip fixture. The other end just has the 16-20 gauge wire socket terminals on it, so it can feed through the fender grommet and up to the head of the frame. You will need another connector (called a pin housing) that those pins will fit into, to connect to the main harness at the frame neck. I beleive the part you need for those loose terminal sockets is #73102-96BK. It shows available at the dealer for $1.15. Just make sure to get the connector that is opposite the one you are connectiong to (ie: female to male). After running the wires to the frame neck, you then add them to that #73102-96BK pin housing so they match up with the corresponding wire colors in the main harness' two way socket housing (73152-96BK).

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...00e9a092ead3/y

Per the online electrical diagram, the loose end of that wire, after adding the correct pin housing, connects to a two way socket housing with O/W, B wires. It should be within reach of the harness wires near the frame neck.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....84aa40d0!!3!26

This is all based on OEM wiring diagrams. If when the tip was removed, the prior owner just removed the fender tip fixture and it's fender wire assembly, you should be able to plug and play to get the fender tip light back. However, never underestimate the ability of a prior owner to totally mess up the wiring on a bike!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by hattitude; 01-27-2024 at 08:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
BFREE (01-27-2024), Dan89FLSTC (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 09:15 AM
Woodrow Miller
Advanced
Default Heritage fender, wiring help

So you are saying that the plug part number you are saying I need connects to the main harness plug in the pictures I have provided I just spoke to the dealer and they told me it is a small two wire plug. Does it only take up a portion of the large harness, connecting to only the two leads it needs and only goes into the plug one way or am I missing other pieces dealer is ordering me that plug and will have it in a few days

Quick Reply: Heritage fender tip wiring help