Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting quieter exhaust...advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting quieter exhaust...advice please

Hi guys and gals -

I ride an 02 Heritage. Back when I purchased the bike new, one of the first things I did was change out the stock exhaust - had SE II mufflers put on before I even took delivery. Now...here it is 6 years later, and I cannot stand how loud these pipes are. Maybe I'm just gettin' to be an old lady (42), but I absolutely loathe the sound of my bike now. I'm seriously thinking about putting on something a lot quieter...however, I have the standard Stage II big bore kit w/SERT on my bike, and I don't want to lose any performance. I'm happy with the way the bike is running and I don't want that to change. I don't know **** about exhaust or performance mods (I'm a chick, so cut me some slack)...I just know that I want quieter pipeswithout sacrificing the way the bike is currently running. What should I be looking for in the way of exhaust?I've heard a lotabout Rush (the exhaust, not the band..lol)...any comments or feedback on these? Would Ineed to have the bike dynoedand/or remapped if I changed out the exhaust? Thanks!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wanting quieter exhaust...advice please

Maybe a 2 into 1 would be a better option for you? And yes, if you change out the pipes you more than likely have to get a new map for it. If you had it dyno'd with those slipon's your dyno won't be any good.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rush are much louder than SE. Maybe it isn't the volume but the tone. Those things sound like crap IMO. Get annoying after a while. Try the Rineharts, Hookers,or Rush with the super small baffles. Theyall produce a deeper tone IMO and might be more pleasing. I don't think volume is your problem though.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

You might want to consider Krome Werks, they make them to "look" like the origianls, but sound deeper, without the raspy bark that's what most people findreallyobnoxious, and they won't hurt yourperformance.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:12 PM
aliandray
Cruiser

Difficult one this. It may well be the tone that is the issue, I found my Sportster SEII's way too loud after a while - it was the higher pitched noise that was the real problem. Any change out may require a re-dyno and it makes sense to get it checked overanyway. I have heard the Supertrapps are slightly more mellow or you could try the HD scripted slip-ons - they may be a lot quieter though. Just hang around a few biker meets and listen to the sounds to see what you like. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard them, but a lot of folks have good things to say about Supertrapp. They have one with discs you can add and also the new silent series for v-twins with big bore mods

Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Reinhart Slip On's would be a good choice.. Try to get a Listen somewhere

Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Put the stockers back on if you have them. I had to switch mine for a police inspection and the bike ran great. I have the download. It was real quiet. If you want quieter than s/e's I'd say go back to stock.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Rock4gzus
Cruiser

Feeling as you do, I just took Sampson Ovals of my 01 Roadking and went back to the stock mufflers. I have noticed no difference in performance and enjoy thequiet - especially after a couple of hours on the slab. Presently, I see no need for a SERT re-map.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
WenDeluxe
Intermediate

I'm getting to be an old lady too [sm=smiley36.gif]. I went from Vance & Hines Longshots to a Supertrapp 2:1 for the very same reason. I am VERY happy with the sound of the Supertrapps and the performance is better too. The ride is so much more enjoyable now.

Quick Reply: Wanting quieter exhaust...advice please