Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/152717-why-in-the-hell-cant-hd-make-a-fuel-gauge-that-works.html)

commander112 09-20-2007 07:45 PM

Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works?

I have read about many a fuel gauge sticking and now I too am affected by the dreaded sticky fuel gauge. Is there a fix for it (easy hopefully)? Is it that tough to make a float that does not stick? Call me crazy but for as much as these bikes cost I expect simple components to work for more than two years (mine has started sticking one week out of warranty).

Mark

sprunger 09-20-2007 07:49 PM

RE: Why in the hell can't HD make a fuel gauge that works?

Couldnt agree with you more! Shouldnt still be an issue. There is a fix... do a search in this forum. It was posted a while back... I had the same issue on my '05, luckily I always us the trip odometer and not just the gauge. . As soon as I started to research a fix, mine unstuck itself!

anubisss 09-20-2007 07:56 PM

Motorcycles shouldn't have fuel guages. That was the whole problem. Use your odometer instead.

carpetride 09-20-2007 07:57 PM

had stealer fix mine about 1 week before warranty ran out...they said it was sticking or rubbingagainst the tank and they bent it away or somethin...anyway, no trouble for about a year now.

WARG 09-20-2007 08:05 PM

I agree, the LED's aren't much better. I am waiting on a replacement Skull LED gauge, as two of the lights on my first one stopped burning after 6 months. I use my Odometer to decide when to refill, I just have the skull gauge for looks. Zanottis is replacing it for free, so thanks to those guys for standing behind their products.

commander112 09-20-2007 08:31 PM

Searched and found many complaints and few answers to fix the issue. It appears there are a variety of causes. I do not have a shop manual. How do I get in there to look at the float?I know that the sticker telling you not to twist the gauge must be there for a reason. How does the gauge come off? Thanks.

Mark

agapsdiver 09-20-2007 08:35 PM

RE: Fix..

2 Attachment(s)
For EFI, to fix a stuck float, you need to remove fuel pump, and cut off and file down tip of rod protruding from end of float.

nb472 09-20-2007 08:42 PM

Great Answer!

commander112 09-20-2007 08:44 PM

Thanks agapsdiver. So the theory is that the little end on thefloat catches. I'll try that fix. I assume that the red arrow in the first picture is for something other than this project?

Mark

agapsdiver 09-20-2007 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, the red arrow is the location of a spring loaded 90degree
elbow that can straighten out. Below is a top view of the
same entire unit prior to removing from the tank.

Note that the fuel tube on the left was disconnected from the fitting on the right, Blue Arrows. The Blue Arrow fuel tube goes to the external fuel tank supply line connector inside the tank (which connects to the fuel pump at the Blue Arrow fitting) DO NOT ALLOW THIS FUEL LINE TO FALL BACK DOWN INTO TANK. As you can see, I have tied a string to the end (at the blue arrow) to tie it off so it would not fall back into the tank.