Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM
jcpca356
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy an Extended Warranty?

I'm buying a new08 Deluxe.....are the benefits worth it? What are your experiences? Do you recommend?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy an Extended Warranty?

Well manufactuars make very sure that the cost of the extended warrenty is more money than the average of things that break. Other wise they wouldnt sell them because they would be loosing money instead of making money. I have know a few people that have had the extended warranty on there bikes and one has used it. IMHO they are not worth the extra money, but if your not a mechanical person or if your going to be riding alot (like 20-50k miles a year) You might want to get it for piece of mind.

Chris

Old 09-21-2007, 09:58 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I say no. you get the two year warranty anyways, and if you can change your own oil you can do most things on your bike. I don't know anybody thats used the extended warranty. remember the company is good at making money

Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM
jcpca356
Intermediate

I'll like do 2-4k miles a year and will probably change my oil too....it's expensive too dang it ($1800-ish)

Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on NO... I had my 04' Deuce with 20K miles, before getting my 07' Deluxe. The only repair I had was rear brakes, which I replaced myself. Oil changes I did myself also. Chances are you will probably upgrade to another like I did anyway. These scoots are pretty reliable I think. Not like the old days....

roll the dice man......

Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer told me that I can buy the extended warranty anytime before the expiration of the included two year warranty.

I hope he told me the turth.

So, unless you are getting a special pricing deal, why buy it with the bike?

That gives you two years to evaluate the reliability of the motorcycle.

I think the extended warranty cost is over $2000 on my Ultra.

It seems to me that you could put that $2000 towards a new bike at the end of the original two year warranty and with the trade come out with a new bike for a relatively small amount of money.

Someone tell me where I am going wrong here.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 AM
lembke
Novice

I did on my 08 FLSTC. Maybe I am goofy and/or paranoid
It cost me $1300-ish to extend my warranty out to five years (an additional 3 years of warranty). I did it for the piece of mine of know that if something major happened, it wouldn't come out of my pocket. This is the first new vehicle that me or my wife have purchased and we wanted to feel secure for a while.
I would perform the old changes myself as I have on all my other vehicles, but the dealer I bought it from does FREE service for as long as I own the bike. Pretty sweet! I only have to pay if I want different oil (which I will) or replace any parts.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I had much experience with owning cars and bikes I used to see this is as worthwhile expense - insurance in the form of a piece of mind. My feeling have changed on that though.

My first HD I was given an extended two years through a promo - free was good so I took it. The other ones I did not. Experience has taught me that statisitically, unless something (that a warranty would cover) goes bad in the first 1000-2000 miles, it won't go bad within the warranty period, even if that period is extended. Of course there may be remote exceptions. But again falling back on my experience, those items were covered by specific recall notifications (i.e. the 8 degree injectors on the 06's).

In short, I have decided these are not worth the added expense for me. Instead, my general practice for vehicle purchases is to get the base warranty only, GAP insurance, and that's it unless its a free add-on. No extended warranty, no undercoating, etc.

rahall is on point here. Although, I doubt I'd save the $2k for a downpayment later. Likely, I'd spend that on "Chromatherapy" for the one I own.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to admit, I'd consider a deal like that - with free service added to the deal. I don't know for sure if I'd say yes but it definitely sweetens the pot.

ORIGINAL: lembke

I did on my 08 FLSTC. Maybe I am goofy and/or paranoid
It cost me $1300-ish to extend my warranty out to five years (an additional 3 years of warranty). I did it for the piece of mine of know that if something major happened, it wouldn't come out of my pocket. This is the first new vehicle that me or my wife have purchased and we wanted to feel secure for a while.
I would perform the old changes myself as I have on all my other vehicles, but the dealer I bought it from does FREE service for as long as I own the bike. Pretty sweet! I only have to pay if I want different oil (which I will) or replace any parts.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,765 Likes on 776 Posts

My personal experience paid off. Buying the extended warrantee got my interest rate lowered enough to almost completely offset the cost in interest saved. So I essentially got it for free anyway. Then, after my original 2 year warrantee expired, I had a problem with my starter and related parts that would have cost around $1000.00 to get fixed, but instead only cost me the $58.00 deductible ($50.00 + tax). So for me, it was a good purchase, and I'm way ahead of the game.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Should I buy an Extended Warranty?