Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Woot, Woot Woot...What the heck is it????? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/176071-woot-woot-woot-what-the-heck-is-it.html)

Kicks 12-14-2007 10:49 PM

Woot, Woot Woot...What the heck is it?????

Yep 08 Softail Custom and the thing goes WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT down the road. At about 45 mph cruising along you say to yourself this thing needs a louder exhaust to cover the noise. But that's stupid. Service manager looked at it and can't find a reason or at least isn't giving one.Says it "might" go away in time...I tried to speed up and slow down to see if it increased or decreased but it didn't really matter just go louder as speed increased.

Can't tell where it's coming from at all. but it is a definate Woot woot sorry. Any one have this? long shot I know. Bike is 100 percent stock.

Rhubarb 12-14-2007 10:53 PM

RE: Woot, Woot Woot...What the heck is it?????

Mine makes a ringing noise at 42mph. Faster or slower and it's gone.
Do you have a 'hubcap'?

Kicks 12-14-2007 11:02 PM

A hubcap I don't know, what ever comes stock on the bike. 1st time I road the bike at 4 miles i didn't notice put it away. Next ride right off the bat at 9 miles I hear the noise.
Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot Woot, getting tired of that?
Can't stand it!

kingfisch 12-14-2007 11:17 PM

Try closing your fly! wOOt wOOt ................

metal_mike 12-14-2007 11:21 PM

oh that must be the new arsenio hall edition... woot woot!

Kicks 12-14-2007 11:48 PM

Hey, thanks for nothing guys...

pistole 12-14-2007 11:49 PM

- :D

Rhubarb 12-15-2007 12:11 AM

So I'd look at your brake disks and your belt to see if anything is rubbing or warped.
I don't think your bike comes with a hubcap... mine was the source of my noise. Well, it amplified the noise from the brakes.

Do you feel any pulsing when you apply the brakes?
Could even be a funky tire. Is it a metalic sound or more muffled?

metal_mike 12-15-2007 12:50 AM

all kidding aside... im w/ Rhubarb...check out the brake disks... try[in an empty parking area] going slow and doing left and right-hand circles and kinda[as silly as it sounds]"listen-around" trying to locate atleast the exact "area" the owl is hidden...you could also get the wheels off the ground [safest w/ a jack] and manually spin each wheel listening and looking for warped rotors,wheels,etc.

keep us posted on your findings!

1BadTrain 12-15-2007 08:06 AM

Sounds like a rotor to me. Lift it, spin the wheels and check that first. Not uncommon to have a warped rotor from timt to time.