Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quiet baffle install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
jefnightrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet baffle install

Going to install quiet baffles in my V&H bigshot staggerds. Is it easier to just remove the exhaust to install the baffles or can you leave them on the bike?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: quiet baffle install

I took my exhaust off the bike to install my baffles into the same pipes as you have. To do that, I had to unplug my O2 sensors, and played a careful balancing act to get everything back on, along with new header gaskets.

Having said that, once I completly removed the exhaust I realized that I possibly could have left everything on there. If you can get the BSS exhaust tips off (phillips screw on back-side of pipes), then you have another two screws to back-outso you canremove the existing stock baffles. (they will slide right out).

I would peel-off a little fiberglass, or wrap some tape (tight) to compress the quiet baffles enough to get them to slide in. Magically, you have to align screw holes to tighten the bafflesinto place, and then put the end caps back on. The key is to get the quiet baffles compressed enough to rotate them inside the pipes to re-align the screw holes. Any tape you use will burn off in a couple of days and become carbon dust.

Re-do your fuel map and youwill bedone. It will take you longer the first time figuring out how things come apart, probably very simple the second time, when you help someone else.

My advice is to get a buddy to help you hold/align the pipes if you go the route of pulling the pipesoff the bike. Getting the new gaskets back in and the flanges to seat over the flange studs is a little hard as a one-man effort.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PoorBoy whats your opinion of the quiet baffles from the stock baffles? How is the tone? Loudness?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the sound. Very much still "All Harley". Best enjoyed when you roll-on the throttle. There is a nice throaty sound that leaves no doubt that a Harley is going by.

The baffles helped with a great reduction of decel popping, and these baffles (over time) will actually get louder as some of the fiberglass blows out/burns-off. They've been in a couple of months now and I have no regrets putting them in.

Not to worry- The Quiet Baffles inside the BSS are still a louder set-up over any stock Harley configuration.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed quiet baffles a couple of weeks ago on my true dual system. I did it in less than an hour. It was simple.
#1 Removed end caps and heat shields.I marked where the shields went to get them in same place.
#2Find a short bolt r screw the same size as the one that holds the baffle in.
#3 Put the bolt on the inside of the baffle and scew it in just for enough to catchand pull the baffle out with the pliers.
#4 Take same bolt and put inside of new baffle .I used dish detergent on the baffle to help slide in.When you get baffle in use pliers to put holes where they need to align.I used my fingertip to feel.Use an awl to fine tune the holes.
#5 Take bolt out and put back together. Voila.I found the bolt trik works really great.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: krub6t9

I installed quiet baffles a couple of weeks ago on my true dual system. I did it in less than an hour. It was simple.
#1 Removed end caps and heat shields.I marked where the shields went to get them in same place.
#2Find a short bolt r screw the same size as the one that holds the baffle in.
#3 Put the bolt on the inside of the baffle and scew it in just for enough to catchand pull the baffle out with the pliers.
#4 Take same bolt and put inside of new baffle .I used dish detergent on the baffle to help slide in.When you get baffle in use pliers to put holes where they need to align.I used my fingertip to feel.Use an awl to fine tune the holes.
#5 Take bolt out and put back together. Voila.I found the bolt trik works really great.
I did pretty much the same. It helps if you can get the butt end of the bike in the air a bit so you can get to them.
What I specifically want to know is did any of you loose any power? I did on my carburated bike so reinstalled the stock straight through baffles. It was an obvious loss, but so far I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the same thing.
Marsh

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Marsh on my 07 It feels like I picked up more low end torque .It feels peppier in the lower ranges.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Marsh

I did pretty much the same. It helps if you can get the butt end of the bike in the air a bit so you can get to them.
What I specifically want to know is did any of you loose any power? I did on my carburated bike so reinstalled the stock straight through baffles. It was an obvious loss, but so far I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing the same thing.
Marsh

The claim is that you gain some low-end torque and lose some horsepower at the top of the curve. I have not experienced any performance loss judging by how things feel.

I DID notice a hugeperformance gaingoing from STOCK to STAGE 1, but didn't really notice ANY performance change going from stock BSS baffles to BSS Quiet Baffles.

My bike does very well slinging my butt around town, and I can't even say that I took much of a fuel mileage hit either.

I'm guessing that things would be noticeably differentlooking at Dyno curve printouts, but the feeling is still wonderful,with no negativesnoticed.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A V&H Tech told me you didn't have to change the Power Commander setting after Quiet Baffles are installed

Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for those answers, but I guess the mysterywill remain unsolved. Funny thing is, when I pulled the Q baffles out and ran straight pipes for a few days, I got my power and torque back in spades. Maybe it's the big Mikuni carb or the way it's tuned. Dunno.
Anyway, when I put the S&S cams in, it became so loud I had to put the stock baffles back in and now all is well.
Marsh

Quick Reply: quiet baffle install