Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/228516-epa-noise-complaint-big-radius-options.html)

Barberg 05-24-2008 03:38 AM

RE: EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options - FIXED

Gotta Love it............... F*&^%N Beurocracy!!!

monkyman 05-24-2008 08:09 AM

I was at a charity ride last weekend and noticed all the state (Connecticut) motorcycles had slip-ons. I asked one of the officers how they can write tickets for loud exhaust when they themselves are in violation. He said that unless you are bring attention to yourself purposely they won't, or there are complaints. They like the louder pipes too and don't care for the noise ordinance law.

grzly 05-24-2008 04:20 PM

bummer - got slip ons and waiting for the complaint ..... hope you have you suspicions about who dobbed you in.

jimmers1817 05-26-2008 07:51 AM

Coming to a town near you. Afraid within the next few years we'll all be in the same boat. Loud pipes will be a thing of the past.

Huey Driver 05-26-2008 08:00 AM

Steel wool is the ticket.....people do it all the time in Japan for the inspections, it works and you can easily pull it out after the inspection......

ffontaine 05-26-2008 11:09 AM

Just curious, where are you located? I have heard of noise ordinances and threats to strictly enforce them in Denver, but no anywhere else yet. Just wondering if this nnoise thing is spreading.

Fred

dmac1968 05-26-2008 11:41 AM

RE: EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options

The EPA in Oz are a bunch of c*cksuckers and a law unto themselves! I got a SMOKEY EXHAUST defect in the mail for a car with a BRAND NEW motor which didn't even get taken off the trailer or started back in 1999 in Canberra! They just write down your number plate and VOILA!!... a defect that you can only get off if you pretty much return the vehicle to factory spec!

Good news is that the car they defected was a VN Group A (one of the rarest muscle cars in Oz) and so has remained unregistered (after they cancelled the rego twice) for the last 8 years and is already worth double what it was back then :)... too bad if I did wanna drive it though, would have to take off the intercooler and supercharger and put it back to Original condition.

Basically, you are pretty much gonna have to put the stock pipes on, get the defect off and then put it back on. You probably rode past some cops who wrote your plate down. Next time you see a bunch doing it lean back and cover the plate with your hand :)

DeanO

glideridemike 05-26-2008 12:02 PM

Noise pollution is bs but it is coming to everyones town and village so better get ready for it.

bensonjv 05-26-2008 02:09 PM

I don't think loud pipes will themselves be a thing of the past. But being a d1ckhe@d and rapping them at intersections, winding them out on the road, etc will be. That ends up being a good thing We could use some enforcement for those a$$holes. The negative reputation/perception they give to all motorcycle riders is as bad as the ninja-turtle guys doing wheelies down the highway and going 160 through your neighborhood.

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

Coming to a town near you. Afraid within the next few years we'll all be in the same boat. Loud pipes will be a thing of the past.

rockerheadsteve 05-26-2008 02:19 PM

You would think there are enough bikers today,to offset the epa's allowances!