Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/228516-epa-noise-complaint-big-radius-options.html)

FXSTD.AU 05-02-2008 08:22 PM

EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options

Can anyone tell me if is possible to temporarily fit a set of supplemental baffels that will assist in passing a noise test (not louder than 94 decibels). I got an EPA noise order in the mail and have to present the bike for testing by the end of the month.I still have the stock HD exhaust and mounting bracket and will fit them again to pass this test if required (as a last resort) but i'd like to know if there is anything on the market that i could use without needing to remove the Big Radius.

Anyone have a tip or suggestion?

gobby 05-02-2008 08:58 PM

RE: EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options

Man that sucks.

Sorry to hear about that wish i had an answer for you fxstd.

Rocketman69 05-02-2008 09:09 PM

These are the only baffles I've heard of that supposedly fit the Big Radius pipes:

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html

I'm not sure what the noise level is after installation though.

tnharley7 05-02-2008 09:48 PM

I would contact V&H and ask them. They should have all the specs and DB levels.

LuckyBob 05-02-2008 10:10 PM

Louder.

bks6721 05-02-2008 10:42 PM

definately NOT the Big City baffles.. they are nearly as loud as open pipes. I love mine. :)

BoneCrusher 05-02-2008 11:15 PM

Damn that is some serious BS! I don't know of anything either but even with something to help quiet it down if they rev the hell out of it I doubt it will pass. I'd just throw the stockers back on there and be done with it, lot less hassle that way even though it would be a PITA to do.

tk353 05-03-2008 01:50 AM

any one heard of stuffing a potato in the pipes? Just long enough for inspection.

Bender 05-03-2008 01:56 AM

First post, and I hope it will help. I just installed a set of the Big City Thunder QQ series baffle for the Big Radius. It definatley gave me way more backpressure, delivering immediate better low end torque. The sound went to a throatier, deeper sound, which sounds way better. The overall loudness did indeed drop. By how much? I don't know. I know I have a dB meter somewhere, but I just moved and it is packed up somewhere.

Now, if I was in your position, I would go with the QQ baffle and then cut the original Big Radius Baffle so that it will fit behind the Big City Baffle. That is going to be my next project, but I think it will reduce the noise considerably. After the EPA test, I would just remove the original BR baffle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/58707/B2203634503147D6AB3DD1794ABA07A9.jpg[/IMG]

flstcI2004 05-03-2008 11:48 AM

wow , am I glad I dont live in Melbourne, Australia .........im about to put some samson's on my 2004 heritage. and uhuh , damn glad I can.

Vikingnomad 05-04-2008 06:30 AM

Well that really blows, did one of your neighbors complain???
Anyway I am also glad Idon't have to put up with that sh#t here in NJ although if we get one more rider on this street the rest of the non-riders might complain, we have Rineharts, Vance and Hines BR and my Samsons...all we need now is open pipes and all hell will break loose...geez I hope not....lol

Bone

billvaughn 05-04-2008 07:02 AM

One "Old School" method is taking out your baffles and wrapping some steel wool around them and reinstall. Word of caution...Don't use too much and it won't lastlong...Of course the best way would be to reinstall the stock pipes but what a pain...Good luck...

soulfish 05-04-2008 07:14 AM

pop off one of the plug wires, should cut the db in half.:eek:

mt325 05-04-2008 09:40 AM

AU,I just put the Orginial Big City Thunder Baffles in mine and I think they are quieter then the stock V&H baffles and
Ihave a 103". My buddy just put the QQ Big City Baffles in his BR 2-2 and they are much softer and deeper. The only difference between the 2 is that the QQ have a cone welded to the tip.

souljah 05-04-2008 10:13 AM

hay blue thats the bomb should frame it hang it in your wall of fame just next to any speeding ticks !!!!!! ok to fix it you can wrap your baffs with pink bats this will get you a pass no sweet the just hit the dust for a few hours and when they get good an hot the heat will blow all the pinky away yeah ha [8D]

screamn_eagle 05-04-2008 02:52 PM

i hate to say it, but your only sure fire way to pass would be to put the stockers back on...glad i dont have any of that to deal with here. good luck and let us know how you made out.

FXSTD.AU 05-22-2008 09:30 PM

RE: EPA Noise complaint - Big Radius options - FIXED

Well, ended up putting the stock dual shotgun pipes back on.. 3 hours labour at the dealer to take the BR off, fit the stockers, remove the stockers and fit the BR again - though they graciously rode the bike to the testing statio nand had the EPA test done for me for free. Stupidlaw.

It looked horrible with the stockers back on, but for those that wanted to know, the noise reading for th stock pipes was 94Db - right o nthe legally allowed limit here in Melbourne Australia. Didn't get it tested with the BR on.

Just Dave 05-22-2008 11:51 PM

Is that test complaint driven or do they just randomly test registered owners, or is it an annual thing in Australia. Seems kind of funny they send you a letter and give you time to fix it before they test it. Does not seem that anyone would ever take a loud scooter for them to test if they know about it ahead of time. I am confused.

FXSTD.AU 05-22-2008 11:59 PM

Just small petty LEO's with too much time on their hands. Under law here if they (LEO) report a vehicle they suspect may not comply the vehicle must submit to certified testing within a specified period else your rego is suspended and you get fined for not complyingwith the order - it's pointless as most owners have stock equipement andwe switch on and off if required as the test does not require photos be taken of the bike. I've got the BR reinstalled on the bike again

The EPA can actually issue fines on the spot, but you'd need to be pretty unlucky for that to happen.

Just Dave 05-24-2008 01:24 AM

Wow, that sure does sound like a big waste of time and energy for all concerned. Why can't the just let us have fun. Ride safe

Barberg 05-24-2008 03:38 AM

Gotta Love it............... F*&^%N Beurocracy!!!

monkyman 05-24-2008 08:09 AM

I was at a charity ride last weekend and noticed all the state (Connecticut) motorcycles had slip-ons. I asked one of the officers how they can write tickets for loud exhaust when they themselves are in violation. He said that unless you are bring attention to yourself purposely they won't, or there are complaints. They like the louder pipes too and don't care for the noise ordinance law.

grzly 05-24-2008 04:20 PM

bummer - got slip ons and waiting for the complaint ..... hope you have you suspicions about who dobbed you in.

jimmers1817 05-26-2008 07:51 AM

Coming to a town near you. Afraid within the next few years we'll all be in the same boat. Loud pipes will be a thing of the past.

Huey Driver 05-26-2008 08:00 AM

Steel wool is the ticket.....people do it all the time in Japan for the inspections, it works and you can easily pull it out after the inspection......

ffontaine 05-26-2008 11:09 AM

Just curious, where are you located? I have heard of noise ordinances and threats to strictly enforce them in Denver, but no anywhere else yet. Just wondering if this nnoise thing is spreading.

Fred

dmac1968 05-26-2008 11:41 AM

The EPA in Oz are a bunch of c*cksuckers and a law unto themselves! I got a SMOKEY EXHAUST defect in the mail for a car with a BRAND NEW motor which didn't even get taken off the trailer or started back in 1999 in Canberra! They just write down your number plate and VOILA!!... a defect that you can only get off if you pretty much return the vehicle to factory spec!

Good news is that the car they defected was a VN Group A (one of the rarest muscle cars in Oz) and so has remained unregistered (after they cancelled the rego twice) for the last 8 years and is already worth double what it was back then :)... too bad if I did wanna drive it though, would have to take off the intercooler and supercharger and put it back to Original condition.

Basically, you are pretty much gonna have to put the stock pipes on, get the defect off and then put it back on. You probably rode past some cops who wrote your plate down. Next time you see a bunch doing it lean back and cover the plate with your hand :)

DeanO

glideridemike 05-26-2008 12:02 PM

Noise pollution is bs but it is coming to everyones town and village so better get ready for it.

bensonjv 05-26-2008 02:09 PM

I don't think loud pipes will themselves be a thing of the past. But being a d1ckhe@d and rapping them at intersections, winding them out on the road, etc will be. That ends up being a good thing We could use some enforcement for those a$$holes. The negative reputation/perception they give to all motorcycle riders is as bad as the ninja-turtle guys doing wheelies down the highway and going 160 through your neighborhood.

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

Coming to a town near you. Afraid within the next few years we'll all be in the same boat. Loud pipes will be a thing of the past.

rockerheadsteve 05-26-2008 02:19 PM

You would think there are enough bikers today,to offset the epa's allowances!

jason628 05-26-2008 09:02 PM

Greetings,

I know here in Illinois around St. Louis they are doing noise inspections as well. It seems there's been too many complaints about it. That's why on the Rocker C I'm just doing the Screaming Eagle slip-ons and be done with it. I know it'll be way quieter than the Vance and Hines Staggered Short Shots I had on my Night Train. I hate to agree with others here, but real loud pipes will be the way of the past.

glideridemike 05-27-2008 07:36 AM

It ain't gonna get no better, once they've actually begun to enforce such bs laws its going to get nothing butencompass a larger area where this enforcement will be shoved down our throats. Guess its time to look for some stock pipes......

mrfuster 01-23-2009 11:19 AM

IHAVE THE SAME NOISE PROBLEM WITH MY V&h SHORT SHOTS STAGGERED .I INSTALLED THE V&H QUIET BAFFLE BUT ARE STILL VERY NOISE.I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IS THERE A MORE QUIET AFTERMARKET BAFFLE FOR RESOLVE THIS NOISE PROBLEM. MY BIKE IS A HARLEY SOFTAIL FXST I 2006.
THANKS, mrfuster
ifusterlebron@yahoo.com

Scheers44 01-23-2009 11:57 AM

Im pretty sure V&H makes a quiet baffle a budy of mine put em on his side shots and they were much quieter, but not sure if they'll fit the Big Radius

bL33d 01-23-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jason628 (Post 3416698)
Greetings,

I know here in Illinois around St. Louis they are doing noise inspections as well. It seems there's been too many complaints about it. That's why on the Rocker C I'm just doing the Screaming Eagle slip-ons and be done with it. I know it'll be way quieter than the Vance and Hines Staggered Short Shots I had on my Night Train. I hate to agree with others here, but real loud pipes will be the way of the past.

Ah for real im from vandalia il and looking forward to the great river rd run. this spring might get in to stl area aswell.

Im running v&h shortshots no baffles :eek:

squale147 01-23-2009 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by FXSTD.AU (Post 3294733)
Can anyone tell me if is possible to temporarily fit a set of supplemental baffels that will assist in passing a noise test (not louder than 94 decibels). I got an EPA noise order in the mail and have to present the bike for testing by the end of the month.I still have the stock HD exhaust and mounting bracket and will fit them again to pass this test if required (as a last resort) but i'd like to know if there is anything on the market that i could use without needing to remove the Big Radius.

Anyone have a tip or suggestion?

no ****... where do live

jimmers1817 01-23-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by squale147 (Post 4430712)
no ****... where do live

He lives in Australia. Least he did back in May when he posted his question.

Netmaster 01-24-2009 05:58 AM

EPA in Melbourne

Originally Posted by FXSTD.AU (Post 3400339)
Just small petty LEO's with too much time on their hands. Under law here if they (LEO) report a vehicle they suspect may not comply the vehicle must submit to certified testing within a specified period else your rego is suspended and you get fined for not complyingwith the order - it's pointless as most owners have stock equipement andwe switch on and off if required as the test does not require photos be taken of the bike. I've got the BR reinstalled on the bike again

The EPA can actually issue fines on the spot, but you'd need to be pretty unlucky for that to happen.

I lived in Alice Springs for 2 years back in the 90's. We didn't have that problem back then. I was thinking of trying to get a job in Aussie land again but think now I'll keep me and my 06 Duece back in the US. By the way...like the wheel change on your Duece.

FXSTD.AU 01-24-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by squale147 (Post 4430712)
no ****... where do live

Yup - Still Melbourne.... seeing this thread pop up... what i blast from the past!

I've since found out the stealer did a dB noise test when they were dynoing the bike... about 103dB. A mate of mine has now upped the ante and ripped out the baffles from his SE slip ons on his 06 Wide Glide. It's a nice deep roar without beeing overly obnoxious, but don't stand behind the bike if he fires it up in the garage!!

P'colaHarley-17RGS 01-24-2009 05:50 PM

that's sucks!

one of your neighbors report you?