Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't trust Kickstand

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
biskit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't trust Kickstand

Ever since I put forward controls on my Train, I haven't "trusted" my kickstand. I usually keep my foot pushed against the stand as I make sure its stable before I dismount, well Saturday I got a little slack and kicked the stand down and climbed off the bike, took one step away and the bike started to fall. Luckily I grabbed the bike but it was already past the point of return and it went down slowly. A friends wife was next to it and stuck her steel toed boot under the gas tank. Her husband and I quickly picked the train back up right and I "planted" the kickstand. Thanks to her and my slowing the fall there was No damage! Except for ego and a few snickers from ******** in the grocery store parking lot where it happened. From now on I'll take my time and make damn sure its stable before leaving my bike.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don't trust Kickstand

ego's are easily fixed ...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

why does having the forward controls mess with the kickstand?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
DocTkd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3” extensions on my Custom and don’t have any kickstand issues at all.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Softails have a lot of play in the kickstand. It's a function of the key on the kickstand being almost 1/4" smaller than the keyway notch in the frame base. Just have to make sure you have the kickstand locked fully forward before leaning the bike to the left. I make a point to pull the bike backward as I lean over. That naturally pulls the kickstand toward thr front and lock in place. That ensures the key gets into the keyway.

Of course, like you found out, sometimes all the precautions in the world still fall short of making it 100% cetain a mishap will not occur. Glad you saved your paint.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

WOW...thats something new to me...i never had that happen, but i will be sure to double check from now on when i get off the bike. i like the pulling back idea. i always park my bike in neutral, is that bad to do?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

The movement of the stand was the hardest thing to get used to for me. None of my past bikes (all metrics) had a kickstand that would move so much when down. My practice is to kick it down and make an exagerated frontal movement to push it as far forwads as possible and then when dismounting I take it easy. I dont have forward controls soam not sure what the difference is but of all the things I do I take it slow on the mount and the dismount.

By the way, good catch and f--- the people who thought it was funny. Rent a big truck and put a big old ding in their door and then snicker when they see it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Big P
Cruiser

Im always alittle nervous about my stand especially on soft surfaces

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine has the same notch when leaning it over. I always set my foot and pull back on it to make sure it is locked.
MikeM

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that I really appreciate my Springer's kickstand.

My Triumph's kickstand used to have a habit of falling off when I pulled it up. Nothing like sitting there ready to ride and holding my kickstand. A little spot weld and a BSA stand finally fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: Don't trust Kickstand