Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones Bars dont bite

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
BTL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CrossBones Bars dont bite

No problem with mine so far with around 1400 hundred miles,&nbsp\\;but I think I will give them a little push -pull test tomorrow to see if they slip under some pressure, better safe then sorry.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM
greentp99
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully if HD is monitoring this forum they will issue a recall for this problem. I will let everyone know how my visit to the dealer goes.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
chazzy
Cruiser

I too had the same problem 2 weeks after buying mine. I hit my brakes while downshifting and my bars went forward.&nbsp\\; I was able to pull them back and went home.&nbsp\\; I tried tightening the handlebar clamps and was able to get an 1/8 turn.&nbsp\\; Since then the bars haven't moved.&nbsp\\; but if I do a push pull thing with my bars, my risers flex back and forth...is that normal?&nbsp\\; I told my dealer about it....they said they checked the torque on the riser bolts and everything checked out fine and said that it was normal.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
BTL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I check mine out today with a little push pull test, no slipping at all, and as far as I know the riser will flex back and forth, well this and my 79 flh does anyways, think there rubber mounted for a dampning effect.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

After an emergency braking incident when I under estimated the braking distance required and having been scared sh1tless by the movement in the handlebars I was told by the dealer it was caused by the rubber bushes used to reduce vibration.
After reading what's been posted on here I'm not so sure but I've done a few practice emergency stops just to get used to the movement and the crap front brake and it seems OK.
Getting used to all that springer movement can be quit distracting though.
I took the screen off yesterday and the Cross Bones really is a fun bike to ride.
Except for going into a corner and nearly hitting the kerb because the leverage for counter steering was much less than I am used to both from my Triumph Rocket 111 and from my Fatboy. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to a different style of riding.
Same thing happened with my Sportster. Very little leverage so I just kept going straight ahead..

Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Common on ape, I've seen this a lot, aluminum can seems to be a good solution.

ORIGINAL: dbleagle

I had the same problem with the DWG bars I put on the sportster... cut me a couple of stips out of a soda can... made two shims and the bars hasn't moved since...

Charlie D.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint will flake and compress. Plating won't. Checking torque on fasteners is part of every service and it sounds like FLSTSB owners need to be on alert for the riser clamp bolts. I doubt that there will be any major flak about this from the MoCo since really, it's just a maintenance issue, but there might be a service bulletin reminding techs to check the torque specifically.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 AM
hogx2
Cruiser

no problem with mine

Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

mass produced bike. Not surprised to hear they coated the WHOLE bar. Gonna get a set of 12" apes and in time will be powder coat all my chrome high gloss black. Ill make specific mention to the coater to LEAVE THE KNURLED PORTIONS UNCOATED.&nbsp\\; There, made me feel a bit better!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Fred0311
Intermediate

Brought my bike to HD New Orleans this weekend.&nbsp\\; The staff treated me very well and I can't thank them enough for their attention to me and my bike.
The tech brought me to the back and showed me the handlebars off of the bike.&nbsp\\; The knurls are NOT coated.&nbsp\\; The problem is the rubber mounts!&nbsp\\; Apparently, there must be some kind of design flaw that allows the handlebars to move up and down at the mounts.&nbsp\\; The flaw is due to the angle of the mini apes.&nbsp\\; Because of the angle, the force you use forces movement at the base where the rubber mounts are located.&nbsp\\; I'm guessing the only fix for this is to use something other than rubber or change the handlebars.&nbsp\\; My biggest concern is safety, as the thought of the handlebars coming loose during a ride does not bode well with me.&nbsp\\; The techs assured me that this would never happen, gioven the thickness of the bolts.&nbsp\\;
I think the best way to handle this would be to contact HD HQ and complain.&nbsp\\; Having this issue on the internet for the world to see would not be good business for this new bike.

Quick Reply: CrossBones Bars dont bite