Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling out baffle on stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered this option of drilling out my mufflers once. I was informed by guys "in the know" of several problems

1. Its not as easy as you think
2. In the last few years, the pipe was made differently and you will likely destroy the pipe
3. Fuel Injected bikes have technical reasons why you cant just "rip out the baffles" and go open pipe
4. little or no backpressure from open pipe = major loss of power
5. some technical bla bla about the 02 sensor in EFI bikes

Basically... you can get a set of cycle shack 2 1/2 pipes that are very loud and pay about $190 for them, and have less headaches.

Its your bike and I am not one to tell a man what he should or shouldnt do with his ride. I can only pass on the very stern warning that I got from those who are more knowledgeable than I

Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 AM
stef
Cruiser

As others have stressed, I too would discourage the urge to "rip out the baffles" or "go open pipe" for the many valid reasons mentioned.

In my case, the 3/4" (max) hole saw down the middle of the baffle/pipe was accomplished quite easily with the mufflers removed from the pipes while the work was performed.

Personally, I have not eyed a pair of slip-ons or aftermarket pipes that I liked better than the stock pipes. (Just a personal preference.) Money was definately not a driving factor.

I have yet to experience any negative effects from this modification, but I do like the improved sound. It achieved the desired goal. I'd also like to think, however, that I did not go over-board (ie "rip out the baffles")

Obviously others have different thoughts. My thought (or perhaps question) is how do the slip-ons or aftermarket pipes create the "louder" sound without opening up the airflow, similar to slightly opening up the baffles by drilling. There is no way, in my opinion, that they could produce their louder sound if they were utilizing the same restricted airflow as the stock pipes.

Again, I stress only drilling the baffle partially, not completely removing them.

-stef

Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You can remove the baffle with little power loss. I did it on my 07 Wide Glide. It def. sounded better, but I still didn't care for the look of the tapered mufflers so I found a set of V&H slip ons. I think the drilled stockers performed better but the V&H look a lot better so they will stay until I get the money for a Thunderheader. Check the pics below.

2.5inch hole saw

Gutted stock muffler

Here's a link to how they sound
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=100_0077.flv

Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey you can still get a set of Hookers for around $200 or so. I think they still have some left

Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

only heard one set of pipes that had knocked out or drilled the baffles, on a classic, didnt like the sound at all and neither did the owner....

Old 03-14-2009, 12:38 PM
txoval
Road Captain

If you drill out of knock out the 1" plug you'll be fine, but I wouldn't recommend gutting the entire muffler. The sound improvement is minor(removing the plug) and I'd bet you'd be craving a better sound.

Save your money and buy an exhaust you like

Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of VH BR 2/2 that i removing off my bike if interested PM

Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go get some slip ons....by the time you get all set-up to drill cut and f_ck your done,and ridin

Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM

punched out both plugs and re-installed in less than hour, I'm happy with the quick cheap mod. until I can get some real pipes.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
fatboy2k9
2nd Gear

2009 Fatboy Knocked mine out with long piece of re-bar the sound was greatly improved, and I spent $0. When I get the cash together I'll look for a set of VnH long shots, till then....

Quick Reply: Drilling out baffle on stock exhaust