Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just so I'm clear here - I can install a V&H exhaust and not do the PCIII or AirFlow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read the same articles as fbtrike... and from what i understand the stock ECU will compensate for the added parts.....
that being said it will only adjust the fuel ratio back to the stock lean condition!
IMO adding fuel to the mixture on a stock bike (exhaust and AC) will improve the performance of your bike....

so to answer the question... Yes you can add pipes and high flow ac without adding any additional fuel.... but you will not see the same performance gains as you would with a good fuel management system...

Here is some free advice... drill out the stock pipes (no money) spend $100 on Xieds and then wait until you have the money to buy the pipes, high flow AC, and closed loop fuel management system...

of course all of this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
I have baseline dyno graphs that show my bike running WAY too lean pre SERT (intake and exhaust only). Its an 08 and the bike could not even come close to compensating for my set up.
I have an 06 so I'm not speaking from experience.........just stating what I read in two articals in AIM (American Iron Magazine). And you are saying way too lean.......is that to achieve optimum performance? Did the bike run way too lean stock...in your opinion? Just wondering.......

Last edited by FBTRIKE; 11-01-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
I have read the same articles as fbtrike... and from what i understand the stock ECU will compensate for the added parts.....
that being said it will only adjust the fuel ratio back to the stock lean condition!
IMO adding fuel to the mixture on a stock bike (exhaust and AC) will improve the performance of your bike....

so to answer the question... Yes you can add pipes and high flow ac without adding any additional fuel.... but you will not see the same performance gains as you would with a good fuel management system...

Here is some free advice... drill out the stock pipes (no money) spend $100 on Xieds and then wait until you have the money to buy the pipes, high flow AC, and closed loop fuel management system...

of course all of this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...
Exactly

Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
I couldn't agree more. I put exhaust on my sportbike without a PCIII for a few months. Added the PCIII and it smoothed out the power curve.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread on a frequent topic!

When I state that my bike was way too lean, I realize that is quite subjective. Let me be more clear...
Before the SERT/ dyno custom map my A/F ratio was all over. from under 10 to over 15 depending on RPM. I interpret this this to mean my bike was always searching for the correct A/F mixture and was at times running hot, and at other times running so rich it was washing the oil off the walls of the jugs. It was definitely not successfully compensating for my mods.

It is for this exact reason that ( I feel ) reading plugs is not accurate on an EFI bike. You cant tell where the conditions are across the board like a carb bike.

After almost 40 runs on the dyno, I now have an a/f ratio that sits at 13.3 flat across the rpm range and I know that my bike is running as cool as possible while still making decent power (actually found 6 HP during the tuning process)

I offer this info only to share my personal first hand experiences. Again, if there are folks that feel beating holes in mufflers is an acceptable way to modify a bike, or simply must make more noise regardless of the POSSIBLE consequences, then more power to them.

I feel my bike deserves better than that. I do it right the first time and leave the hammer in the drawer.

to each their own and there certainly is more than one way to skin a cat.

;-)

Last edited by aggro_jo; 11-01-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by aggro_jo

I offer this info only to share my personal first hand experiences. Again, if there are folks that feel beating holes in mufflers is an acceptable way to modify a bike, or simply must make more noise regardless of the POSSIBLE consequences, then more power to them.

I feel my bike deserves better than that. I do it right the first time and leave the hammer in the drawer.

to each their own and there certainly is more than one way to skin a cat.

;-)
definitely not advocating taking the hammer to the bike... just trying to offer a little low-buck guidance

running 13.3...
I'll have to dial it in the TMax and see what happens... right now my target is 13.85... It's been running great my mileage is around 38... but I am not one to leave well enough alone!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V & H & fuel pack easy to install and set up

Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM
beemann
Stage III

I did it that way. put samson pipes on similar to vance and hines log shots, ran it all summer long about 4000 miles. now im installing the se air cleaner and using the vance hines fuel pack. bikes a 08 nightrain.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 AM
rocker00
Tourer

make sure to get the pipes with the 02 sensor mounts though.....if your not using a tuner anytime soon....