Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Pros-Cons on Exhaust wrap??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
6165hd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the Pros-Cons on Exhaust wrap??

Many of you guys that may have worked with exhaust wrap, wondering if there where any issues,
Just been iching to wrap the top headers, not sure after installation if I would like em. And would it cause fading to the black ceramic coating after a few months?. Did the search on the forum and theres great info there far as helping with the installing.

I would be doing it for functionality, since my pipes are not shielded.

I saw some great work done on the forum, any info would be great.

Thanks,

Winter sucks

Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 AM
travis dasher
Road Captain

I wrapped my pipes and I love the look. Im not sure if it would fade the ceramic coating. I dont think it would. Install is not hard just take your time. There is a silicone adhesive that will prolong the fading.

Attached Thumbnails What are the Pros-Cons on Exhaust wrap??-dsc00861.jpg  
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 AM
txoval
Road Captain

The wrap will definitely help you with the lack of heatshields, but will increase the internal temp of your pipes significantly. Hopefully it will not hurt the ceramic coating. Definitely buy the coating/spray that you apply to outside of the wrap. It will help with discoloration and fraying.

If you search the web you'll find differing opinions on the subject...most of the negatives come from car/race guys where the wrap keeps so much heat inside pipes the pipes deteriorate/become brittle and fall apart...hence way race cars moved to ceramic coating.

Another problem can be rust, another reason to apply the coating to the wrap...if you don't the wrap will absorb moisture easily

Hope this helps...there used to be a website called why exhaust wrap sucks, but I can't find it

Like I said, most of the negatives came from people who used it on their cars

Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Used it on my sporty for lack of heat sheild it looks great. Keeps my wife from burning her leg and seemed to give it a little more spunk. On my Nighttrain it's just cosmetic. I high temp powder coated the pipes and wrapped them. The pc fell off it was so damn hot. went back and painted them w/ high temp rattle can paint and its worked great ever since. Black ceramic will fade eventually anyway. As stated above make sure you paint the wrap after its on the pipes looks much better for longer.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:37 PM
sjdeboomii
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lundee
Used it on my sporty for lack of heat sheild it looks great. Keeps my wife from burning her leg and seemed to give it a little more spunk. On my Nighttrain it's just cosmetic. I high temp powder coated the pipes and wrapped them. The pc fell off it was so damn hot. went back and painted them w/ high temp rattle can paint and its worked great ever since. Black ceramic will fade eventually anyway. As stated above make sure you paint the wrap after its on the pipes looks much better for longer.

so you painted your wraps with high temp paint or just the pipes before you wrapped?