Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel toe shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Flying Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time heel shifter for me. I actually use both and miraculously haven't confused myself! Like mine.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
RobbAR
Cruiser

I have an 08 Fatboy and took mine off after a few rides...didnt like not being able to move my foot to the back of the boards..bought a chrome cover thing from my dealer and have no intensions to put it back on. Without it you just have more foot room.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Daddys_Limousine99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by snowman2006
Info for Daddys_Limousine99 -

There is a cap available from HD to cover the spline when you remove the heel shifter. Here's a link http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I removed my heel shift lever and also replaced the toe lever with the billet lever for a Dyna or Softail FX http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US- it's a little longer and curved so it gives me a little bit more leg room. Also it matches the billet extended brake lever I installed to stretch my right leg out a bit.
Snowman2006:

Thanks for the info...I like the look of that cap for the splines. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM
saxmanbill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daddys_Limousine99
If you removed your heel shifter and put a cap on the shaft, what kind of cap did you use? Pics? I'm thinking of removing mine.

Thanks
I removed my heel shifter on the Heritage and now again on the EG Classic. Rather than use a cap on the splined end, I moved the toe shifter to the end of the shaft (where the heel shifter was) and made a bushing to go where the toe shifter originally was. I found a chrome plated spacer in the McMaster-Carr catalog. McMaster-Carr is an industrial supply company that has just about everything. The bushing is 3/4" O.D. and 3/4" long. I had to drill and ream the I.D. of the bushing on a lathe to the dimension of the splined shaft O.D. I think it was 1/2", but, I'm not sure. The McMaster-Carr part number for the bushing is 93320A321. Cost was $3.50 + shipping. Available at McMaster.com.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem with mine and Carhardt carpenter jeans is what I wear. Love the heal shifter... Thinkin about the floorboard extentions though...

Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my heel shifter off a few years ago. I wanted the extra room on the floorboard.
Tom

Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
GoateeInTheWind
Intermediate

I don't know what the issue is. I've been using one for quite some time on various bikes and havn't had any issues. It took a little getting used to, but now I love it. I can't stand having my toe pinned under the shifter now. To each his own.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

i bought the exstenios that move them up and back! I like the heel shifter to much to get rid of it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

heel-toe shifters are awesome.

I'm wondering why I haven't noticed that problem though?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to toe shift. Now that I have a heal shifter I find it much easier to do. Yes it was awkward at first, but now it has become habit. It is easier to push down than pull up in my opinion, plus no shoe scuffing. I have never had a wardrobe entanglement on any bike I have owned.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: heel toe shifter