Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Night Train no longer in the line-up after '09 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/336855-night-train-no-longer-in-the-line-up-after-09-a.html)

KRS 04-11-2009 07:09 PM

Night Train no longer in the line-up after '09

That's what I was told by the GM of my local dealer. The Night Train, Rocker, Road Glide and 883 low along with a few others that he mentioned will not be available in 2010.

He's a good friend of mine so I believe his word. He said he doesn't understand why they are discontinuing the Train because he said it's still a good seller for them.

WARG 04-11-2009 08:35 PM

Hmmm...I guess we'll see soon. The NT seems very popular to discontinue, and the Rocker is brand new.

wildman67 04-11-2009 08:40 PM

been hearing that alot! I guess we got to wait and see.

DaddyKnuck 04-11-2009 09:04 PM

Models come and go. Marketing I guess.

BLKnCHRME09Deluxe 04-11-2009 09:06 PM

NO SH*T! The night train is a bad ass bike. thats too bad. i guess the rocker didnt sell well?:confused:

monyman 04-11-2009 09:09 PM

i dont believe that the night train will leave,,,it is one of the busiest threads here on HDFROUMS>>!!!!>>??

m i k e 04-11-2009 09:44 PM

kool i own a limited edtion already
time will tell

Chazmanian 04-11-2009 09:48 PM

I wish they would stop building the Train....

Make my skinny ass ended 05' an insta-classic!

Yeah...Right.

bloomington g 04-11-2009 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by KRS (Post 4849239)
That's what I was told by the GM of my local dealer. The Night Train, Rocker, Road Glide and 883 low along with a few others that he mentioned will not be available in 2010.

He's a good friend of mine so I believe his word. He said he doesn't understand why they are discontinuing the Train because he said it's still a good seller for them.

Would not be suprised to see a different Softail "slick bike" in the lineup next year...(something like the Badboy but probably with a different name). They cant have all the softails be chubby.

Mr. Lucky 04-11-2009 10:09 PM

If true, the decision makers at H-D have lost their minds.

stupid_rope 04-11-2009 10:12 PM

Then I'm glad I bought the last production year train!

Sash302 04-11-2009 10:13 PM

I was in the dealer today and I ask the sales person about the night train being cut of,he said that they will propably replace it with something very similar and slicker....I'll just wait and see what happens.....

Hollywood Ball 04-11-2009 10:14 PM

I was at a dealership here in MD this past weekend and they had "Discontinued" signs on the Night Trains and Road Glides. Picked up my 09 Night Train a couple weeks ago - Just in time!

The Rocker-C will still be produced (From what I was told at the dealership I was at)... They're just doing away with the ugly wrinkle-gray model.

Scheers44 04-11-2009 10:43 PM

Ive heard the Rocker was gone, but keeping the Rocker C... Which I thinks a much better looking bike, But the Train? I mean What the Hell...Guess the Powder Coating Business will boom...hahaha

Chazmanian 04-11-2009 11:00 PM

That base model rocker was bordering on hideous. That was a move that didnt take much thought I'm sure.

The Train will probably be replaced by something along the dark customs line as that seems to be where all the current excitement is being generated. Nightster and Bones are both just smokin' hot right now.

Glad I have my old beater Train....It will still be cool to me 10 years from now when its still in my greasy pawz!

phrogflyer 04-11-2009 11:18 PM

i think something very similar to the bad boy is due. i also think they watch these forums and see what the current trend is as well. if they were smart, they would build a bike to go head to head with that new honda fury. the rocker was close, but hd has never really built a "chopper style" bike.

DyNaBoB 04-11-2009 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 4850216)
That base model rocker was bordering on hideous. That was a move that didnt take much thought I'm sure.

The Train will probably be replaced by something along the dark customs line as that seems to be where all the current excitement is being generated. Nightster and Bones are both just smokin' hot right now.

Glad I have my old beater Train....It will still be cool to me 10 years from now when its still in my greasy pawz!

yea that rocker base model is ugg but heartland has one that grew on me looks sick ..........and the DARK CUSTOM thing harleys doing is there NEW thing why would they get rid of the train............harleys so hush hush on chit i dont beleive its true anywho .........and sash said his dealer said it will proly come out sliker and better but wouldent they still call it a NIGHT TRAIN...........if it sells why would they get rid of it in todays market just my 2 pennys.............i hope they do get rid of the train thou cuz i have one and it will be like the bad boy in ten years

DyNaBoB 04-11-2009 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by phrogflyer (Post 4850273)
i think something very similar to the bad boy is due. i also think they watch these forums and see what the current trend is as well. if they were smart, they would build a bike to go head to head with that new honda fury. the rocker was close, but hd has never really built a "chopper style" bike.

that honda is kinda kool looking but why the hell did they make it shaft drive kinda well really dumb on there part...............i think the x bones is more of a bad boy if you put a badlander seat on it, to close to the model to make a nother one that close...........................i think todays market is looking for more a bobber style then chopper..............if they change the rocker tops to a pan or shovel looking covers they will sell...................oh and happy easter

refuzeandrezizt 04-11-2009 11:58 PM

Well now, I guess if it's true, that I will have a classic then. I love my Train and I love all the Trains on this forum. If they do away with the Train, I will be keeping mine for sure then!! We will be the new Bad Boy.......LOL

KRS 04-12-2009 12:14 AM

Yes, it's true that they are disco'd. Here's the models that won't be around:
1) EG standard
2) Road Glide
3) Low Rider
4) Rocker
5) Night Train
6) 883C

It will be a huge mistake if they don't replace the Train with a similar model that is "blacked out". Look at what they did to the Street Bob. In '09 they made it look like $hit with the gray motor that no one likes. Honestly, I will be surprised if there is a replacement that is similar to the NT. Afterall, the MoCo just released all of those wrinkle black parts so that you can buy them if you want your bike blacked out. ;)

Tartarus 04-12-2009 12:20 AM

Hopefully they are melding the Bad boy and the Night train together that would be the only upgrade I would think the Train needs but who knows I am glad I have one.

DyNaBoB 04-12-2009 12:21 AM

i think there getting ready to go under like GM.................maybe honda will buy em out they proly do better ten amf

DyNaBoB 04-12-2009 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartarus (Post 4850478)
Hopefully they are melding the Bad boy and the Night train together that would be the only upgrade I would think the Train needs but who knows I am glad I have one.

umm that would be a xbones with a badland seat

refuzeandrezizt 04-12-2009 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB (Post 4850484)

LMAO ...... How true. The Train will NEVER die!! At least to the lucky ones, like myself, that own one.

Tartarus 04-12-2009 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB (Post 4850484)

not quite it has the fatter front tire also.
it just seems weird that at the height of the Dark Customs they would remove the heart of it.

KRS 04-12-2009 12:41 AM

I can see HD bringing back the Train in a few years as a CVO model. Now that would sell very well.

refuzeandrezizt 04-12-2009 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by KRS (Post 4850520)
I can see HD bringing back the Train in a few years as a CVO model. Now that would sell very well.

Kinda like the Softail Springer huh? I saw one today that I would of given my left nut for. Man it was badass!!

DyNaBoB 04-12-2009 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartarus (Post 4850507)
not quite it has the fatter front tire also.
it just seems weird that at the height of the Dark Customs they would remove the heart of it.

yea but they aint goona make a new model with just a smaller tire and seat for a new model ..........ther better off selling a black springer front end instead of a black inverted one just my 2 cents .................if its tru with todays market and sales ..........they sell night trains so i cant see it.............its a dark custom

DyNaBoB 04-12-2009 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by KRS (Post 4850520)

well you think they would do it in 2010 and keep bringing in the doe

rovescioinback 04-12-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by steven.c.ball@gmail.com (Post 4850048)
I was at a dealership here in MD this past weekend and they had "Discontinued" signs on the Night Trains and Road Glides. Picked up my 09 Night Train a couple weeks ago - Just in time!

The Rocker-C will still be produced (From what I was told at the dealership I was at)... They're just doing away with the ugly wrinkle-gray model.

I would really love to have a picture of that signs....
Very sorry for the NT
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7135/p1040331b.th.jpg

Tartarus 04-12-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB (Post 4850526)
yea but they aint goona make a new model with just a smaller tire and seat for a new model ..........ther better off selling a black springer front end instead of a black inverted one just my 2 cents .................if its tru with todays market and sales ..........they sell night trains so i cant see it.............its a dark custom

not sure if I understand what you are saying they already sell a black springer front end sepparetly, and yes it is a dark custom that was my point

sorry if I misinterpreted

DyNaBoB 04-12-2009 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by rovescioinback (Post 4850533)
I would really love to have a picture of that signs....
Very sorry for the NT
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7135/p1040331b.th.jpg

i wouldent be sorry just cuz we have one id be sorry for the peoples that dont.........im keeping mine till i die and im 32.............

Cav Cop 04-12-2009 03:08 AM

Time for a CVO Train. Big bore engine, and all the H-D 'black is the new chrome' parts on it.

cwsharp 04-12-2009 05:29 AM

When I bought my '06 I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a rear tire for it because it had been 'discontinued'. Now I'm even more concerned.

I rarely see a Fat Bob out on the road. Are they going to keep making that bug eyed model?

The Rocker with a custom seat (I forget who makes one... but it reinstates the standard fender bracket along with it) looks pretty good. I think the only thing wrong with the rocker was that stupid seat design, really...

C#

WATERHAWG08 04-12-2009 05:35 AM

Night Train Custom?

This would be my version of a NEW NTC....
49mm wide glide front end with a 21-120 tire on some type of mag wheel, black slammer drag bars with a tach, 18-250 rear tire with mag wheel, side mounted lic. plate with run/turn/brake rear signals and of course Blacked out......then all I'd have to do is change out grips, pegs and braided lines.....just my idea of a Custom Train

man4mopar 04-12-2009 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by WATERHAWG08 (Post 4850750)
This would be my version of a NEW NTC....
49mm wide glide front end with a 21-120 tire on some type of mag wheel, black slammer drag bars with a tach, 18-250 rear tire with mag wheel, side mounted lic. plate with run/turn/brake rear signals and of course Blacked out......then all I'd have to do is change out grips, pegs and braided lines.....just my idea of a Custom Train

That would be cool.

UK FXSTB 04-12-2009 06:26 AM

ive heared the same thing over here in the uk a few weeks ago im just wondering if its just the home market they will stop making them for or the international market it as well ? As i have a 08 883R as well as my NightTrain and we still get the 883R over here where as the us market does not when i asked about this i was told that they never sold enough in the states to make it worth selling them there .Now with the NightTrain it sounds that they sell well in the states so why stop making them unless they dont want to run a production line making the black engine to save costs ?

Now i would like to think that they are going to bring back the BadBoy for 2010 thinging if there is no NightTrains then the people wanting a NT might get the BadBoy instead as i would imagine the BadBoy would cost more than a NT so more money to be made for the factory

Sash302 04-12-2009 07:03 AM

They will have to made something to replace the N/T, because the N/T is only bike that have that clean costume look,hopefully will come back with same slick look with bigger rear tire and larger rack up front.....

deadeye 04-12-2009 07:31 AM

They already have the Bones as a Dark Custom in the regular Softail line with a springer front end. So, they may want a Dark Custom Rocker. Hey, if people are willing to pay extra for "Dark Custom", why make the Night Train the cheapest softail in the lineup?

Chazmanian 04-12-2009 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by deadeye (Post 4851017)
They already have the Bones as a Dark Custom in the regular Softail line with a springer front end. So, they may want a Dark Custom Rocker. Hey, if people are willing to pay extra for "Dark Custom", why make the Night Train the cheapest softail in the lineup?

+1

Now combine that with the MoCo's ability to sell a crapload of black parts and stuff?

The parts biz has gotta be lucrative for Harley. A guy who really wants a Night Train could simply build his own on the FXSTC bike with parts and pieces right outta the Moco parts book. Essentially giving Harley an oppourtunity to sell that much more stuff?