Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint cracking on my oil tank.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
It wasn't until my 2nd or 3rd reply to the thread that I realised there was no reason that they could not order it up and swap it out when it came in. I work at a dealer and should have realised this in the first place. Although I just wrench and don't deal much with the warranty aspect.

It isn't cheaper to send it out for paint, I think the guy at the dealer was just a dullard (worse than me). It could also be that they didn't want to change it out during prime service season. The dealer gets reimbursed for the part, but they do lose the labor. HD pays cut rate. They will pay 20 minutes of labor for a 2 hour job. A bit of an exagerration, but you get the point. They would rather take in service work at full boat, then do warranty work.

Hope you got the name of the person at customer service, but they usually make a call to the dealer to set them straight.
yeah, i knew it would somehow be more of a profit for them to send mine out to paint instead of ordering me a new one. i got the ladies name that I spoke to at customer service and i also got a number that she gave me.

Originally Posted by lowrider284
hey alain, dont mean to get off topic here but are you from the bergen county area? i couldve sworn i saw that same rockr in the emerson/oradell area yesterday
yeah, that was me bro, i was ridding around up there two days ago. should have chased me down and said hi. hahhhahahaa.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 AM
lowrider284
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
yeah, i knew it would somehow be more of a profit for them to send mine out to paint instead of ordering me a new one. i got the ladies name that I spoke to at customer service and i also got a number that she gave me.

yeah, that was me bro, i was ridding around up there two days ago. should have chased me down and said hi. hahhhahahaa.
its hard to miss a rocker let alone with those spikes in the rear fender lol

Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lowrider284
its hard to miss a rocker let alone with those spikes in the rear fender lol
u up for ridding this weekend? i'm looking to get a few guys together to take a ride up the Palisades Interstate Parkway up to West Point Academy.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 AM
lowrider284
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would def be down but I'm gonna be at a friends bbq all day saturday and have work on sunday, we should get together another weekend tho for sure, are you going to the hawks nest meet on the 24th ill be going with a few friends if you want to meet up and ride with us there is supposed to be around 50 of us from the forum

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

well, i spoke to the warranty guy today and told him what HD customer service told me. after doing some back pedaling, they agreed to order me a new oil tank and NOT take my oil tank off my bike and send it out for paint.

I've got to tell you man, when i bought this Harley i didn't think everything would be such a hassle. Between having wrong parts shipped to me, dealing with mechanics dropping tools on my ride and chipping the paint, to having to harass them to change my oil tank...........

It's ridiculous !!!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a love and hate, give and take situation sometimes brother...but it does make a person wonder why some dealerships try pulling some of the things they do....glad to hear you got them to order you one without doing it the way they originally wanted to...when all is said and done you are going to have one sweet looking rocker

Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
If your bike was in an accident and needed a new oil tank they would be able to order one. Now that I think about it, that shop is totally wrong. Ask them to order a new one and wait until it comes to have it installed, meanwhile ride with the old one. If they refuse, call Harley direct at their customer service. Just be cool and calm, they will straighten it out.

+1 on that one, could take weeks or longer if things got messed up!

yrs ago 1st bike carb got messed up, long story short, about 7 weeks and a trip to distributer I finally got my parts.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 57RebelRocker
It's a love and hate, give and take situation sometimes brother...but it does make a person wonder why some dealerships try pulling some of the things they do....glad to hear you got them to order you one without doing it the way they originally wanted to...when all is said and done you are going to have one sweet looking rocker
yeah, you are right tom. it's so damn frustrating though. on top of that I'm the most impatient person i know, that doesn't help either. lol lol

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You and me both...you would think after all these years I would learn to have some more patients...but when it comes to someone elses screw ups I run out of them( patients), quickly...lol...

Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

i hear ya bro. at least i was able to get this issue resolved without much hassle.

Quick Reply: Paint cracking on my oil tank.