Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Takin a not so standard trip to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twisted125
ok, I got in touch with the powder coater last night and he quoted me some stuff.

Struts - 35 a piece
wheels - 140 for the pair

Question : I asked if he had capabilities to remove the chrome before the powder goes on. He says that he powders OVER chrome. ???? I thought you had to strip em?? He said if he has a nice smooth polished surface to start with, he just goes on top of the chrome. Is this so???? Last thing I was is to put my stuff back on, have some powder chip off, and have to go down the road to shove a powder gun down this dudes throat. Any advice? Chaz, did your guy strip your stuff?
According to my PC guy the chrome has to be hit with a blast of sand or the stuff may flake prematurely....

I say blast of sand as they do not need to sandblasted or stripped per say. They just need a quickie hit to make the surface scuffed or porous....

I havent had any issues with his PC'ed stuff so he must be on top of his game.

I will say this...Not all powder is good powder!! Some of these guys just dont do a good job.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You ALWAYS have to strip Chrome before powedercoating, actually the cost of stripping is a big part of the process

Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
You ALWAYS have to strip Chrome before powedercoating, actually the cost of stripping is a big part of the process
Thats essentially what my PC guy says...The prep time is the hardest and most labor intensive part.

He didnt say he strips the pieces tho'.

He just says he preps them with sandblasting....Maybe he sucks too and is just covering his *** if mine chips and I see some shine under there!!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I've found that stripping/sandblasting chrome is not always necessary. I've done several parts on my bike (headlight, bars, horn cover) without removing and it's holding up fine after a couple years. Nothing wrong with beading the chrome off before coating though, which is what I usually do.

Planning to PC your spoked wheel? I hope you plan to disassemble first. If you don't, the coating will chip off right away where the spokes cross and at the nipples.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
twisted125
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah haaaa, I thought that sounded off. I would think that it would act like dipping a shiny piece in teflon, making a skin all the way around it but not adhering straight to the metal itself. I have a small sandblaster at work. Ive never run it, but maybe Ill start with somethin like my horn cover. Blast it, give it to the dude, say powder it, and see how it turns out. I also am thinking that I would want to go glossy on my struts, everything but my motor to avoid those different levels of black. Do those prices sound about right? This guy powdered a friends old low rider frame, it turned out nice, but it was also bare to start with.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
twisted125
Road Master

Originally Posted by 97FXSTSB
I've found that stripping/sandblasting chrome is not always necessary. I've done several parts on my bike (headlight, bars, horn cover) without removing and it's holding up fine after a couple years. Nothing wrong with beading the chrome off before coating though, which is what I usually do.

Planning to PC your spoked wheel? I hope you plan to disassemble first. If you don't, the coating will chip off right away where the spokes cross and at the nipples.
Beading = blasting, or media blasting? I planned on disassembling my front and PCin the hub and rim then buying stainless spokes and re-lacing. So your headlight etc, went into the booth shiny? Maybe its not so crazy.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member

Glass-beading. Actually I use playground sand. It's very fine and you can get it at Home Depot. Yea I PC'd a few parts with chrome on it.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
twisted125
Road Master

how do you feel about the ones that were chrome going in?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member

No problems. I even did the kickstand without removing the chrome. There's some chipping at the bottom but I expected that. I just touch it up with a spray can every so often. Most recent piece is the tool box. Brand new shiny chrome and it's holding up fine.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM
twisted125
Road Master

saweeet! I like the gloss. Sounds fairly good to me now. Ill still start with the horn cover or something small and make this guy show me he knows what hes doing.

Quick Reply: Takin a not so standard trip to the dark side