Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing front end. What years fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
draftsman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front end. What years fit?

I am in the process of changing my front end (06 night train) and going with a heritage/ fatboy front. I think the front from a 2000-2006 will bolt right on, but I am curious if any others will work if I changed the bearings in the neck. BTW I wouldnt be doing this if I hadnt laid the bike down in a curve and destroyed the existing front. I see now is a good time to change the bike up a bit and am looking forward to getting it back on the road with the new look. any help will be appreciated.

Cooper

Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

since your changing to a fatboy style, anything from 93?-06 will work, you'd just need to change the brake caliper for anything 99 and back is all

i'm 99% sure they all took the same bearings

Originally Posted by draftsman
I am in the process of changing my front end (06 night train) and going with a heritage/ fatboy front. I think the front from a 2000-2006 will bolt right on, but I am curious if any others will work if I changed the bearings in the neck. BTW I wouldnt be doing this if I hadnt laid the bike down in a curve and destroyed the existing front. I see now is a good time to change the bike up a bit and am looking forward to getting it back on the road with the new look. any help will be appreciated.

Cooper

Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am pretty sure the 07 and newer front end is interchangable as well. The axle is a different size but that is no biggie. You can easily just run the correct size axle to match the sliders and get matching wheel bearings. I had done some research when I swapped my lowers to 07+ parts and I know the tubes are interchangable on all 00 and newer. I believe the trees are also all the same, but I am not sure about the neck bearings. I would just swing by the local dealer and have them check in their parts manuals for interchanable parts. They had no problem doing that for me when I did my front end swap.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everyone is ok.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Draftsman, you know that the Heritage/Fatboy front end will be more costly than the trains? You will have all of the chrome head light panels in addition to the head light assembly.

Just am idea you may want to look into. We have a fellow forum member that has his front end for sale, at a very reasonable price!

Check this out: 49mm rocker frontend

Old 12-18-2009, 11:25 AM
draftsman
Tourer
Smile

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure the 2000-06 would woirk, but was a little sceptical abput the older models. I already have the front pannels (non polished) and just won an auction for 1" axle, but that is no big deal like you said. But I am hoping to keep the front wheel if its still straight.

The only things I am really needing now are the cables to include the front brake line. SInce this bike started life as a night train, I figure I will jusr black out the front, add beachbars, heritage fender and finish customizing my rear tail dragger to complete the look. I guess I need to start a new thread on the whole rebuild of it.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put a fatboy on my 06 standard every thing fit it was from a 04 used same brake line also off my standard same wheel and caliper and disc I was told that the 1999 and older had a different fork lock also and brake caliper. and needed to change out the head lidht too

Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
draftsman
Tourer

Thanks Rickb. I really needed that confirmation. I hope I can get the stock 21'' wheel to fit with a heritage fender. I really dont want to spend the exta cash on a custom fender for it.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything and everything fits just might take a little ingenuity...

My frontend is for a 84-99 softail standard wideglide...

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by draftsman
Thanks Rickb. I really needed that confirmation. I hope I can get the stock 21'' wheel to fit with a heritage fender. I really dont want to spend the exta cash on a custom fender for it.
This will fit. Obviously a tire with a narrower sidewall will provide more space.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a "deluxe" type fender from jp cycle and there is plenty of room for it.

Quick Reply: Changing front end. What years fit?