Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Pipe install issue on 09 Fatboy - passenger footpeg (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/460599-pipe-install-issue-on-09-fatboy-passenger-footpeg.html)

FrankT 12-29-2009 02:26 PM

Pipe install issue on 09 Fatboy - passenger footpeg

Hi Guys,
Getting ready to install VH BSS pipes on my 09 Fatboy, but I cannot seem to get the right side passenger foot peg bolt to come off. This needs to come off in order to install the pipes, but it does not want to move. I am using a T-50 torx allen type wrench because I cannot use the socket T-50 due to the fact that the bolt is recessed and the socket is too big (it is hitting the housing on the footpeg assembly). Does anyone know if the footpeg bolts are reverse thread or are they simply just put on with locktite from the factory? Any advice from someone who has done this before would be appreciated! Thanks and seasons greetings!

mke125125 12-29-2009 02:36 PM

they are not reverse threaded. the factory uses some sort of crazy strong locktite. just get something on the wrench that will give you some leverage and apply steady pressure. it will break loose no prob.

TerryJ 12-29-2009 02:36 PM

They are standard thread. I broke mine loose with the peg itself but you will more than likely have to use brute force. Go to a local autoparts store and buy a cheap extended reach t50 socket.

Maimas 12-29-2009 02:39 PM

That is definately a bitch to get off. Also, if you are removing the OEM bracket, you will need a shorter bolt to remount the peg bracket. Dont try cutting down the existing bolt, because its not threaded all the way to the head and you'll bottom out before its tight enough. You'll need a bolt about an 1 1/2" shorter.

aviator 12-29-2009 03:24 PM

yep - they are hard to get off.

replace the OEM bolts with allen head cap screws - you'll thank me next time you decide to take the pegs off.

Ballsout 12-29-2009 04:38 PM

On my 09', the left side was torx, the right side was allen head. Go figure that one MOCO

sancho_panza 12-29-2009 05:17 PM

Frank, go to Autozone and buy their pack of extended reach torx 3/8" drive sockets (better than my Craftsman set, which was three times the price). Use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, and hit that bolt with a long 1/2" breaker bar and extension. That's what I did on my right passenger mount, and it came off with very modest effort (my breaker bar is l-o-n-g).

Ron

FrankT 12-29-2009 06:03 PM

Guys,
I got it off. I was able to use the T50 torx "allen type wrench", put the long end into the recessed peg support bracket, and use a piece of 1/2 black iron pipe to put over the short end to give me the leverage that I needed to break it free. Thanks to all of you for your advice.
Frank

Barnettbill 12-29-2009 06:23 PM

For future reference, you can use a hair dryer to soften up the locktight on bolts and screws. Makes it alot easier to remove.

snook592 12-29-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barnettbill (Post 6021241)
For future reference, you can use a hair dryer to soften up the locktight on bolts and screws. Makes it alot easier to remove.

Oh sure wait 'til he's done then give him that handy piece of info. ...... lol