Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive not so drop-ins

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default progressive not so drop-ins

i was thinking that the progressive drop ins were going to be a 30 to 40 minute just like they said on there web site, but not so much, you have to remove the forks the get the cap off to remove springs. and it take atleast 30 minutes to drop the forks out and then you have to put the new springs in. i cut the pvc down a 1/2 inch like they said the max was and i wish i would have cut alittle more off now and went alittle lower. but i don't think i want to take everything apart now. the whole job ended up taking me 1 hour 45 min. wasn't to hard just misleading when they tell you it will only take you 30 min with basic hand tools. you will need a strap wrench or a "soft" vise. i'll get some pics up tomorrow afer i get the bike off the motorcycle jack from changing all the oils

Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, they are not "model specific" in the literature, when they make that claim. On Dynas, I think the nut to access the top of the forks is readily accessible, so no removing the forks for them. Softails are a different story, but are VERY WORTH IT when you get the desired result using the drop in kit. Much quicker than the "old way" that Progressive had us doing it!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,088 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Always takes longer the first time jd.Bet you can do it in half the time now that you've been down the road once.G.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM
jd8181
Road Captain

i'm thinking about taking them apart again today and lowering it maybe another 1/2 inch. it told me not to cut it more than 1/2 inch short that 4 1/2. so i cut it to 4 and it dropped it some but i was wanting alittle more.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It is just standard PVC pipe, so it would be easy to replace if you took too much off.

I recall someone saying that 3-3/4 was "perfect", so maybe try that first, but keep us posted on what you decide to go with, and the results.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Can you just drop the whole front end down to just above the lower tree, tighten the pinch bolts, pull the cap and spring, cut spacer, put back together and be done?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,694 Likes on 5,502 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Can you just drop the whole front end down to just above the lower tree, tighten the pinch bolts, pull the cap and spring, cut spacer, put back together and be done?

Yes you can. I always put the bike on a bike jack, and put a floorjack under the front wheel. Take the caps off the top tree and loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom tree. At first just lower the forks about 3/4 of an inch, this allows you to loosen the fork tube caps without them flying across the room from the spring pressure. Then lower the forks a couple of inches...the springs will come out thru the hole in top tree. Assembly is easy because of the shorter springs. Watch your brake hose. You could probably do your second set in 30 minutes.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Hotwire
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know,

So... If I get this right..

I can loosen the trees, lower the fork tubesa few inches, take off the caps, pull out springs, replace with Drop-ins. Tighten, and put everything back where it was to be?

Rather then a full disassebly as per the manual?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
J-Train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
i was thinking that the progressive drop ins were going to be a 30 to 40 minute just like they said on there web site, but not so much, you have to remove the forks the get the cap off to remove springs. and it take atleast 30 minutes to drop the forks out and then you have to put the new springs in. i cut the pvc down a 1/2 inch like they said the max was and i wish i would have cut alittle more off now and went alittle lower. but i don't think i want to take everything apart now. the whole job ended up taking me 1 hour 45 min. wasn't to hard just misleading when they tell you it will only take you 30 min with basic hand tools. you will need a strap wrench or a "soft" vise. i'll get some pics up tomorrow afer i get the bike off the motorcycle jack from changing all the oils
Def put up some pics. I will be going down this road hopefully by the end of summer and would like to see the process. I watched the progressive video and they make the **** seem effortless. although I know it's not gonna be.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

4" pvc is what progressive says... You can cut it down to 3.5" BUT you have to change the fork oil to something heavier it'll be stiffer but so that you won't bottom out.

I got -2 tube so I had to cut mine down even more just to thread them up. I think I cut mine to 3.25" but when Ibreal it down again I'm gonna cut it down to 2.75" For me I'm running SE extra heavy racing oil and it is stiff.

Quick Reply: progressive not so drop-ins