Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of changing bars to apes for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies! It is interesting to see such different views but I wanted honest opinions. Since were being honest I really don't want to change because of the time it takes to swap them and not to mention the $$$.
The main thing is comfort. I was in an accident that left me with titanium rods and bolts in my back and two bad shoulders. My right shoulder is the worst and being the throttle side it gets the most work when riding. Looks like 10.5" or 12" would be a plenty for me. I'm going to make a few calls and study on this thing for a while. I've got a little play in my cables and was wondering if they would work with the 10.5" bars?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

For the Heritage, adding the 4" risers was the maximum lift I could go without extra wiring, clutch, throttle, and front brake line. And I mean max- the wiring pulls a little tight with the bars to the right. One more inch would cost me big. Had to rebend the brake line, but got away with that.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock FXDWG bars have the same dimensions as all the baby apes out there.. 10.5" rise. I was able to swap them on to my 04 Fatboy without having to change anything.. wires, cables, nothing.. the brake line had to be straightened a little by hand, but it was no biggie either. Total time I invested was about 20 minutes, total cash was free, since I got the bars as a gift, but they are about $70 from HD.
It's a cheap and easy way to see how you are going to like the apes, then you can always upgrade from there if they are too high or not high enough, or you eventually want to go internal with the wiring or a fatter bar.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
Stock FXDWG bars have the same dimensions as all the baby apes out there.. 10.5" rise. I was able to swap them on to my 04 Fatboy without having to change anything.. wires, cables, nothing.. the brake line had to be straightened a little by hand, but it was no biggie either. Total time I invested was about 20 minutes, total cash was free, since I got the bars as a gift, but they are about $70 from HD.
It's a cheap and easy way to see how you are going to like the apes, then you can always upgrade from there if they are too high or not high enough, or you eventually want to go internal with the wiring or a fatter bar.
+1

HarleyHeaven, I would also get neck, back pain so I installed Heritage bars for $50 just to try taller bars. Like TCannon said, you can use all your wiring and cables. Taller bars took most of the discomfort away on long rides. After riding with the Heritage bars for a year I am convinced a little taller bar will be perfect.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TCannon22
I'm 6' and I just put on a set of 10.5" baby apes on my 04 Fatboy. It's definitely more comfortable to me, but mostly because of the awkward wrist position the stock Fatboy bars had. I rode to work today for the first time and didn't have any problems with my hands falling asleep like they did with the stockers. The 10.5" rise puts my hands about 2 inches below shoulder height so I will most likely be getting some 12" or 14" in the future. Switching bars definitely made the most difference in how comfortable my bike was to date
I'm putting a set of Heritage Softail Classic handlebars on my 04 Fatboy this weekend. No cable changes needed. The stock bars are killing my back. Pics later.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
SoftailDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had your troubles.
Being short, I took the stock bars off my Heritage and went with 4" risers and the stock bars off a Deluxe. Much more comfortable without reaching so far.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
TCannon22
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I really don't want to change because of the time it takes to swap them and not to mention the $$$.
I'm going to make a few calls and study on this thing for a while. I've got a little play in my cables and was wondering if they would work with the 10.5" bars?
HD gives the exact same part # for the Wideglide, Heritage, and Fatboy when it comes to all your cables and wiring will definitely work. Once I pulled what I thought was enough slack, I actually had too much so I had to push the wiring back through some of the zip ties. Brake lines are different, but you just have to tweak the bends in the hard lines a little to fit the different angles of the bar, but it can be done by hand and pretty easily.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good thread here guys. I'm still in the debate over which set to get and what size.... Its drivin me INSANE!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
TCannon22
Tourer

That's how I was which is why I went as cheap as possible on my first try. Definitely don't spring for some RSD or Carlini Gansters for your first try until you get a good idea on exactly what'll work and what you'll like!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Black_Koffin
Stage IV

Im having the same dilema. I'm 5'8'' and the stock drag bars on my 08 night train are just not cuttin it comfort wise. I dont know wether to go with 12" or 14" apes. im also gonna be lowering it 2" and getting a lower seat aswell.

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing bars to apes for comfort?