Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of going Jockey Shift!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Did you talk to LaBroila? Maybe he raised his prices, but I doubt it. The tank shifter is an extra $170 I think.
No, I haven't talked with LaBriola about buying direct. But I did talk with my local H-D shop, some indy shops, and a few other guys around here that have them or used to.

But, I guess since I thought it would be so expensive, I haven't called the source to find out for sure.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll talk to Rick in a bit. Just getting started on my coffee here.

Drew

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Left a message for Rick.

Drew

Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
honkylips
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
HonkyLips, love those bars! How tall are they?

I've also looked at getting some apes similar to those, but I keep re-prioritizing my mod list. The big things I'm looking to do at this point are seat, bars, jockey shift, and air-ride. At this point, the bars and air-ride are taking the back-burner as I'm trying to scrape the cash up for a new seat and possibly jockey shift. We'll see!
The bars are 14" tall and I am actually going to be sellin them as I'm going with something else (PM me if interested)

Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I'll talk to Rick in a bit. Just getting started on my coffee here.

Drew
Thanks, Drew! It may be a couple of weeks, but this is something I definitely want to do!

Originally Posted by honkylips
The bars are 14" tall and I am actually going to be sellin them as I'm going with something else (PM me if interested)
Sounds great! PM sent! If you don't mind...what are you changing to?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
honkylips
Road Captain

I'm going to 8" mini apes. I have nerve damage in my right hand middle finger from when I cut the tip of if off. If that hand is above heart level for more than 10 minutes or so, my finger goes numb. I'm pretty bummed about it cause I think the bar height is perfect as far as a nice comfy cruising position. PM sent BTW.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I spoke with Rick at LaBriola. The jockey shift kit comes with the parts either chromed or powder coated gloss or flat black. Lead time is 4-6 weeks right now, my guess is the clutch cables is what takes that long as he uses Barnett for them and they are SLOW! If you want black pearl cables I can have his cable sent to Magnum Shielding and have it made black pearl or Sterling Chromite II if you like.

He is shutting down his business for several months in the middle of July as he is moving shops. He does not know when he will be reopening again yet. So if you are interested in ordering a a LaBroila jockey setup now is the time. I was quoted 4-6 weeks for mine and it too a little longer. I called after 6 weeks and he got it out to me pretty quick then. PM, email, or call me for pricing please.

Drew

Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

I've been riding foot clutch for over 30 years. Have had a rocker clutch and hand shift on a 1978 FLH with a 3 speed and reverse transmission. Cobbed together a suicide clutch and right-side jockey shift (with left hand throttle) on a 1972 XLCH chop. Had a rocker clutch and hand shift on the '87 Sloptail, but the clutch pedal assembly was a V-Twin, aka Taiwan Tedd, POS. Put the LaBriola suicide and jockey on and it works great with one highly recommended mod - put a small coil spring over the exposed cable at the pedal end. It keeps the pedal from flopping backwards which really isn't a whole lotta fun!

You learn how to ride with it, just like you learned how to ride a hand clutch - practice. I ride in the boonies, in the city, anywhere. I don't go into neutral at a stop light/sign. Never have; just got the habit of staying in gear, left foot on the clutch & right foot on the ground. The hand shift/tank-type shift is easier than the jockey shift.

Baker makes a shift drum, called the N1 or something like that, that puts neutral below 1st gear instead of 'tween 1st & 2nd. Won't fit my tranny, but it would be nice!

My '78 FLH had the hand shift tranny top instead of the usual ratchet top. The shift lever moved through the gears and had a definite position for each gear, instead of the ratchet top where the lever always returns to the mid position. Reverse was a lotta fun, and a cool way to blow some wannabe's minds.

The '72 XLCH chop was fun. That left hand throttle made from an old spark advance mechanism screwed with people's pea brains, too.

One advantage - not too many asked if they could take my sled out for a quick spin.

Here are some pics of the Sloptail. You can see the spring in the first 2 pics. The tall shift lever in the 3rd pic was made from a piece of flatbar I got from Lowe's, with a piece of mesquite for a handle, and holes drilled to lighten it so it would vibrate above my normal riding speed. The footboard in the 4th pic I put together from something FabKevin cut out for me, welded to a piece of stainless square stock, and the pad is rubber gasket material from the scrap pile at work, all tied together with 8-32 stainless allen heads. In the last pic the jockey lever **** came off an 800 watt stereo I built back in the '80s. Figured one noise-maker deserved a part from another noise-maker.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of going Jockey Shift!-clutch-from-above.jpg   Thinking of going Jockey Shift!-clutch-straight-down.jpg   Thinking of going Jockey Shift!-shift-lever-and-clutch.jpg   Thinking of going Jockey Shift!-5-19-10-020.jpg   Thinking of going Jockey Shift!-flst-2-27-09-012.jpg  

Last edited by pococj; 06-03-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: edited out the "shit"
Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 PM
DDEAL
Intermediate

I am wanting to put a labriola jockey shift on my x-bones how do i get a hold of them whats their web site tried everything to no avail. any help would be appreciated. thanks, Deacon

Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by DDEAL
I am wanting to put a labriola jockey shift on my x-bones how do i get a hold of them whats their web site tried everything to no avail. any help would be appreciated. thanks, Deacon
http://www.lajockeyshifter.com/labri...chine3_001.htm

Quick Reply: Thinking of going Jockey Shift!