Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat with Stock Pillion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Seat with Stock Pillion

I just bought and installed a Mustang Wide Touring Vintage Solo with Backrest on my '06 Heritage Softail (FLSTi). I never ride two up but I do carry luggage daily (work out bag) and on some longer trips (tour bag). Both of these bags attach to the passenger backrest. To continue holding these bags, I want to keep the passenger backrest. The Mustang website said that the stock pillion would not fit with the Mustang Vintage Solo. Since I will not have a passenger, I have no need for a comfy pillion and did not want to spend the extra About $150 for a Mustang pillion.

Sure enough, the stock pillion would not fit with the Mustang Solo. However, all that was necessary to make it fit was a slight trimming of the foam on the stock pillion. I removed about 20 staples from under the front 1/3 of the stock pillion, peeled back the vinyl cover from the front, and removed about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of foam from the front of the pillion. I then rounded the foam to make a smooth surface on which to reattach the vinyl. I did the cutting with a kitchen electric knife. I then cut off some of the resulting excess vinyl and reattached the vinyl to the base using a staple gun.

Voila!! A perfectly fitting pillion for free. There are a few minor wrinkles in the vinyl on the front side of the pillion but these are hidden by the Mustang solo. This is just a helpful tip for anyone in a similar situation.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice workaround. I'm sure it will be of help to someone in the future.