Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it better to cut the frame or buy kit to chop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a seeger front end on mine 5degrees and went 4 over on the tubes. I didnt want to alter the frame. Im pretty happy with it. Seegers full rake kits are pretty cool, i saw all the stuff first hand as i went to his shop and picked up my 3trees personally.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Bartleby
4th Gear

So if install seeger cycle's 4 Degree Fat Boy & HeritageTriple Trees on my fatboy, I'm going to run into all kinds of titling and insurance problems?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Get another frame in my opinion. It will be safer because it will be done by people who do nothing but weld frames so I think safety wise, buying is the best. Also if you buy a frame you always have your stock frame to go back to if you ever want too. I have an 06 Deluxe and I am going to paint it but not for another year. My stock tins are SO nice though I have already bought another tank to have that painted rather then ruin and use my stock tins. I will then get custom fenders when I am ready to paint. I can always go back stock anytime I want then, imho

Attached Thumbnails Is it better to cut the frame or buy kit to chop?-r1-01043-016a.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many options with this. It all comes down to quality and choosing the right shop for the frame or frame mods. I had the neck cut on my old EVO and this guy was awesome. He also relocated all my numbers to keep it the same. Shops do this all the time time by saving the neck or whatever they need to. Someone mentioned Redneck eng. They are good and will keep your numbers. Also led sled customs in OH will do it. They mostly do sporties but know their stuff on all bikes. These are just a few off the top of my head. Also if you modify your frame you can add a little stretch if you want. Just a lot of options.

I know everyone is quick to say it is safer to get a new frame. But these frames are build just like a modified frame is. One a table with hopefully a skilled tig welder that knows how to weld and how to weld a frame? There are some crap new frames out there. It is buyer beware. Also most quality frame mod guys also build complete frames. If they do not I would run away.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,518 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Get another frame in my opinion. It will be safer because it will be done by people who do nothing but weld frames so I think safety wise, buying is the best. Also if you buy a frame you always have your stock frame to go back to if you ever want too.

Getting a frame welded buy a kid in a sweatshop in china is not going to be safer than having it welded by a professional welder here...and in most states you cannot just change frames back and forth because of the VIN number on the frame.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,505 Likes on 2,484 Posts

IMHO cutting the frame is NEVER a good way to go. What if the weld isn't good, what if you don't like it, what if you wanna go back? Also, I think you will kill the resale of the bike--I mean--it's much easier to sell a Harley that has had "non-destructive" mods then one that has been butchered. The MoCo did not do all those years of R&D for nothing;they know what works better than you do, and their "line" are the most aesthetically pleasing in the business. Why Fork with it? Leave it alone, get over this "trendy" mod crap & ride it.

OR...
If you can't leave well enough alone, get adjustable trees. And keep your frame intact.

Last edited by dickey; 01-14-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Bartleby
4th Gear

The main reason I'm looking into the seeger cycle +4 degree kit is because I want to install 3" forward controls on my Fatboy, and with the 21" wheel I don't think its going to fit with the stock rake. The seeger kit extends the wheelbase by 2 3/4 inch, which I think will allow the 3" forward controls to work. I'm going to do some measurements before I make any final decisions though.

What I'm still wondering about is insurance. I went to progressive for a quote, and it asked me if I had done any frame mods. Would I be correct in saying no after I got the seeger kit since no frame mod would occur, or does adding the kit count as a frame mod?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

The kits do the job, but are butt-ugly. Too much going on in the neck area that detracts from the lines.

Having a reputable shop/welder rake the neck is safe, clean, and can work well if everything is planned correctly. And as pointed out, you get to keep the HD title instead of going special construction or whatever your state calls it. And if you ever want to go back to a stock rake it is easily done. I've seen rake jobs and de-rake jobs that couldn't be told from the original welds.

And Dickey - what is "trendy" about raking a frame? Reckon I've been seeing them for a few years. Plus slapping on a set of adjustable trees has been known to get someone in a world of hurt with some trail figures that'll be good for a tank-slapper experience.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

there is nothing wrong with cutting and welding the frame as long as a good welder is doing it... the frame was welded together in the first place.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a AME Chopper kit on my dad's 2010 so tail custom look great

Quick Reply: Is it better to cut the frame or buy kit to chop?