Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the pipe plug during my first oil change out of ignorance. Have not had any issues in five years but I never pulled it again.
That's actually quite common, according to the Service Manager at my local H/D dealer. My buddy broke three allen-sockets before I told him it's a case fitting, not a drain plug.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like, you can disconnect the return line to the oil tank AFTER you change fluids. Put the return line in a clear container. Fire the bike up and let it idle. It will flush the motor. When clean oil comes out of the return line , shut the bike off, attach line to tank and top off the oil.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
That's actually quite common, according to the Service Manager at my local H/D dealer. My buddy broke three allen-sockets before I told him it's a case fitting, not a drain plug.
When I was changing the oil, I thought I would give it a try. When I couldn't get the Allen Wrench to budge, I said the heck with it.

After reading all these stories of the case cracking, I'm really glad I didn't put a breaker bar on it to get it loose. Had I cracked the case trying to get that plug out, I would not have had a good day.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
about 28 ounces is left behind in the sump. check out the scavenger on line for removing the oil from the sump. There are also a few articles on how to make a device for clearing the sump on this forum
No way there's 28 ounces of oil in the crankcase sump ... the acceptable range is 2 to 6 ounces ... if you have more you have a problem with the oil pump not scavenging the sump ... Harley Twin Cams are designed to be 'dry sump' ....

While there may be more than 6 ounces of oil left in the motor (i.e., cam chest or rocker boxes ... hydraulic lifters, etc., etc. ...) the best way to 'solve' the problem of mixing good oil with a little left over dirty oil is one of the 'scavenging' systems like those links posted (rogue chopper, j&p cycles, etc.) ....

You may not ruin your crankcase by removing the drain plug, but why risk it ...?

R/
'Chop

Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 AM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
The OP is refering to the plug in the crankcase, not the oil tank. Most who have pulled the plug in the crankcase have had trouble replacing it leak free without cracking the cases. It is a tapered thread like is used in plumbing pipe. My advice is don't pull that plug unless you are diagnosing a problem such as "sumping".
Also nevermind the snide remarks from people that haven't actually read your question.
Like the man said

Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Beachman
Advanced

I used the scavenger on my last oil change. It took approx. 30 oz. for the oil to clear up. I like the system and as much as syn. costs I will continue to use it.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously your flushing more fluids with the scavenger then with the "standard fluid change". How many quarts is required for a fluid change if you use the scavenger system. I might be sold on this idea.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
bearhart
Intermediate

always remove the drain plug. much easier.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Beachman
Advanced

I think you are correct one additional quart is required.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
The OP is refering to the plug in the crankcase, not the oil tank. Most who have pulled the plug in the crankcase have had trouble replacing it leak free without cracking the cases. It is a tapered thread like is used in plumbing pipe. My advice is don't pull that plug unless you are diagnosing a problem such as "sumping".
Also nevermind the snide remarks from people that haven't actually read your question.
Originally Posted by TalldogsFatBob
Guys, I'm not talking about the drain plug that drains the oil tank, I'm talking about the pipe plug at the bottom of the case.

Ed, thanks, but I'm not worrying about mixing brands, I was thinking that it's not good to mix regular oil with synthetic.

Just trying to figure out now much of the old oil is left in the sump that doesn't get drained when you just drain the tank.
Based on a few of the posts, not quite sure everyone understood the question ... sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words ... so here's two thosand words worth of info on the subject:

Some of you were in essence saying "duh ... remove P/N 210 to drain the oil" ... but, TalldogsFatBob (the OP) was asking if there was any benefit to removing P/N 5 in the second photo ....

I believe the consensus is that there is no benefit to doing so ... and, that it could risk ruining the crankcase ....

If a total oil drain is desired in order to avoid contaminating the fresh oil with waste oil, the better method would be to use a 'scavenger' or similar device that runs the fresh oil through the system and purges any remaining waste oil ... the down side is that it uses an additional quart of oil to purge the motor ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?-softail-oil-bag.jpg   Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?-softail-crankcase.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does anyone pull the plug at the bottom of the engine for an oil change?